Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If electronic units are made of smoke can anybody make the JJC unit work?  (Read 2309 times)

MCR

After trying to get one of these units working over the weekend can anybody offer advice?
Running on 12volts the smoke production was poor and intermittent, condensation in the tubes was one problem, however even when this was cleared smoking was poor.The LED was often flashing on and off.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer

:) :)
Hi MCR

Is the smoke unit a mark one unit  or a later mark two unit?  Some people in other clubs found that by placing a small piece of plastic card across the fan helped to increase the smoke output. On the electonics board you should be able to control the fan speed. Too fast and the smoke looks very thin, slow down the speed and you should see a difference. Have you connected your speed controller via a y lead to the smoke unit? Again this gives a better smoke output. Reference condensation try to keep all plumbing vertical if possible.Are you using the correct amount of water in the unit?
 :) :)

MCR

Thanks for the input, its actually a friends unit which we both fiddled with all weekend trying to get it to work on a display stand.
What is the significance of mark 1/ mark2 unit? can the mark one be upgraded?

Stan

• Full Mayhemer

;)Hi MCR

Will send further post later this evening if thats o/k  ref mk 1/2

Stan

Stan

• Full Mayhemer

:)Hi M C R

Both mark one and two old smokey use the same method to produce smoke. Mark one units came in two versions  Steam or Diesel.  You had to confirm when ordering which you required, operating voltage is the same for both units. The electronics for the mark two is different.  You can now select  diesel mode/steam mode/puffing steam engine mode and show mode.

Troubleshooting

Information taken from  mark two hand book best operating voltage 12 volt lead acid battery not a ni cad  battery. Overfilling will impair smoke generation. Water temp needs to be above 10 deg c and finally the fan speed is proportional  to your speed controller/motor.  If the fan is running very fast readjust the pot that controls the fan speed, the slower the fan the better the smoke output.  I have 4 of these units and have tested 3 of them and found no problems  during the operation on the test bench. Please be aware that the electronics package gets warm during operation so please allow some sort of air flow over the unit. Hope this has been of some help  and I hope you manage to get the unit working.  Mark two units come in a box marked mark 2 old smokey.

MCR

Thanks Stan I will print this page off and take it to the lake this afternoon to show to the chap with the unit.
Mark

Stan

• Full Mayhemer

:DHi MCR

If your require I can find the instruction sheet for the mark one  and supply you the correct amount of water this unit requires for normal operation. If you are still having problems  JJC should be at the Risley Centre Warrington end of August or if you can wait that long should be at the Warwick show in Nov.  :)

Stan)

MCR

I have passed on the information which you supplied to my fellow club mate ( John Sidebottom) he will spend the next few days trying to sort it out ready for the Saltwell park sail in at Gateshead on the 12th August.
Once again many thanks
Mark

Stan

• Full Mayhemer

:)Hi Mark I see you are in the north east of England. This year at our open day At Kirklees we had clubs from your part of the world.  Would you like me to send you an invite for July 2008?.  Check out front page of mayhem for pictures of this years event. You should be able to get my e mail details  from mayhem or send via  martin at mayhem hoping to hear from you. :)

Stan

MCR

Hi Stan I can down with John this year bringing my Thames barge John brought his Rex Harrier great show and I am sure we will bring a few more from Saltwell Park model boat club in 2008.

Mark

Stan

• Full Mayhemer

:)Hi Mark 

I hope you managed  to get the smoke unit working. Hopefully Jim Casey will be at Warrington on August bank holiday Sat-Sun should you still have problems with it.

All the best

Stan

Kirklees model boat club
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.