Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC headphones  (Read 3606 times)

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
PC headphones
« on: December 09, 2015, 07:51:04 am »

I need a new set of headphones,for my PC, and my father in law doesn't know what to get Father Christmas to bring to me.

Any suggestions out there?, I definetly want  a set that covers the ears and not the plug in the ear type.
Are wireless ones for PC any good?....I really only need them for watching youtube videos, and listening to music on the PC, whilst my wife watches the early evening carp on TV.
 :-)

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: PC headphones
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 07:59:35 am »

My last set came from sports direct, £6.99, have lasted over 4 years, not sure if they still sell them.

Raen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 08:12:53 am »

Niva it really depends on budget and the quality you are after. you can get a decent set for <$20 or spend hundreds on them.

Last set I got were a pair of Audio-Technica AD700 open back headphones, really nice unit and comfortable but quite expensive.

You  could always try here for some more information on brands and price guides. They recommend these for <$100 but the linked sub-reddit is probably more for the 'audiophile' I suppose.

Regarding over ear headphones you might want 'close backed' headphones as they offer some sound cancellation properties over 'open back' headphones like the ad700's.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 11:28:25 am »

I looked at getting some nice hi-fi headphones a while ago but it seems that as the price goes up, the treble goes up until it becomes way too harsh.

The reason is the only people who can afford expensive headphones are 'older' so their high-frequency sensitivity is reduced so it is boosted in these top-of-the-range headphones to compensate.

For those of us still with normal hearing, it's actually difficult to find something that isn't bass-boosted for the 'younger' market or treble-boosted for the 'oldies'.

I had a pair of Jecklin Floats some years ago - brilliant sound but you look stupid wearing them - not for the i-pod wearing joggers out there.  :-)

I recently bought a pair of Sennheisers off ebay brand new for under a fiver - good enough for most listening and I won't cry if I break them.  :-))

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251794420886?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 12:18:03 pm »

For a computer, there is no reason not to use wired headphones. Mine have a 3m cable, mostly wound up, but don't usually sit on the other side of the room as you would with a telly. Wifi can be a bit iffy by comparison. Bluetooth can be very iffy and can drop off at much shorter ranges. I also read somewhere, maybe on here, that LED lighting can affect wifi if less than 3m from the Tx.
Wired are cheaper, offer good sound quality for the money, and give 100% performance 100% of the time. But you cannot do your disco aerobics or Zumba DVDs as well as you could with wireless.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

inertia

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 12:42:15 pm »

But you cannot do your disco aerobics or Zumba DVDs as well as you could with wireless.
O b*gger! Looks like Plan B then...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 01:11:13 pm »

Yes Dave, I'm afraid it's a Cochlear implant... :o

Colin

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 04:11:09 pm »

O b*gger! Looks like Plan B then...

I thought that as well....thanks for the input lads, looks like I might stick to wired ones.....cheers.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 07:41:07 pm »

Audio Technica ATH-M50's are the daddy of all mid budget headphones, agreed by many websites over and over again

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Monitor-Professional-Headphones-Black/dp/B000ULAP4U

If LED lighting affected your wifi signal then your router wouldn't be covered in LED lights...

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 07:42:49 pm »

Audio Technica ATH-M50's are the daddy of all mid budget headphones, agreed by many websites over and over again

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Monitor-Professional-Headphones-Black/dp/B000ULAP4U

£ 200 for head phones for a PC , Nah don.t think so,£ 6.99 from Sports Direct, Just the Job..( Other retailers are available )

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 07:48:40 pm »

They're £74, and I'd rather my music sound as the artist intended, not as if my dog were vomiting violently into my ears. Each to their own

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 07:57:13 pm »

They're £74, and I'd rather my music sound as the artist intended, not as if my dog were vomiting violently into my ears. Each to their own

Seriously?

An mp3 with squashed dynamics and limited frequencies through a nasty PC soundcard?
Anything over £10 is a waste of money for that application.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 08:32:06 pm »

I was looking at the Black ones at £ 200
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 22 queries.