Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Correct use of the English Language  (Read 66699 times)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Correct use of the English Language
« Reply #200 on: January 12, 2016, 08:46:43 am »

Just seen another example poor word choice where the media talks about a recently rebuilt steam locomotive.  They do persist in calling it a "train", when the train is the string of vehicles with an engine added to make it go.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #201 on: January 12, 2016, 09:51:39 am »

This one is poor research again by the media. There was/is a train called the Flying Scotsman and a locomotive with the same name but in many other instances they refer to an engine as a train.  My pet hate is "gotten" and of course the ability to say lough but not loch :((
..well can you land on this?

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #202 on: January 12, 2016, 11:34:03 am »

Not to mention references to the military, whilst in fact they are actually talking about the Air Force or Navy. <*< <*< >>:-( >>:-(
Gunna build those other boats one day.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #203 on: January 12, 2016, 01:14:07 pm »

Not to mention references to the military, whilst in fact they are actually talking about the Air Force or Navy. <*< <*< >>:-( >>:-(

Or even when talking about the Army.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Dixie212

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #204 on: January 13, 2016, 11:27:53 am »

Or how about my pet hate, starting every conversation with the word SO. This does irritate me, and I have even switched radio/tv channels when it happens.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #205 on: January 13, 2016, 02:14:08 pm »

So, why is that then? ok2 ;)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #206 on: January 13, 2016, 02:34:43 pm »

So be it :D

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #207 on: January 13, 2016, 03:43:21 pm »

Stop that {-)    Anyway..oops :embarrassed:  Local to me is the Cairngorm Funicular Railway. The staff refer to it as the "train" even although the two carriages are separated by almost 2 kilometres of rope, except when they pass each other going in opposite direction !    I suppose because it runs on rails ergo etc etc.
..well can you land on this?

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #208 on: January 13, 2016, 05:44:09 pm »

The word 'Gobsmacked' has me reaching for my spade with violent intentions, and especially so if the speaker seems otherwise well educated.

Dave

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #209 on: January 13, 2016, 05:52:43 pm »

Like, I also dislike the current usage  of a word like, like, it's repetitive use, like you know what I mean like?
I am beginning to sound like my grand-daughter now!  %%

inertia

« Reply #210 on: January 13, 2016, 06:15:50 pm »

Like, I also dislike the current usage  of a word like, like, it's repetitive use, like you know what I mean like?
I am beginning to sound like my grand-daughter now!  %%
I think this came from what's called "Valley Girl Speak" - the valley being San Fernando (California). Google it for hours of exasperation and annoyance! It was probably proliferated by some American "sitcom" - "Friends" maybe? I never saw it myself.
My second grand-daughter, who is otherwise quite literate, uses "I'm like..." as a substitute for "I said". She is also afflicted by the Estuarine-English* pronunciation of anything which includes a vowel as if it had a glottal stop instead e.g "thirteen" becomes "fir een". I am in the process of trying to cure her of these afflictions... <*<   
(*See Eastenders).
DM

inertia

« Reply #211 on: January 13, 2016, 06:28:51 pm »

The word 'Gobsmacked' has me reaching for my spade with violent intentions, and especially so if the speaker seems otherwise well educated.

Dave
Dave
Sooner an honest "gobsmacked" than a completely inappropriate and self-conscious "devastated" - surely the most overused word on BBC News? I suppose that comes from the annoying habit of "our correspondent" to ask the victim of whatever-it-is how they 'feel' about whatever has happened to them or to a close relative....or a friend....or someone from the same street...or not...or David Bowie...
I really can't recommend this forum highly enough http://www.brassedoffbritannia.co.uk/
DM

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #212 on: January 13, 2016, 07:04:00 pm »

I think this came from what's called "Valley Girl Speak" - the valley being San Fernando (California). Google it for hours of exasperation and annoyance! It was probably proliferated by some American "sitcom" - "Friends" maybe? I never saw it myself.
My second grand-daughter, who is otherwise quite literate, uses "I'm like..." as a substitute for "I said". She is also afflicted by the Estuarine-English* pronunciation of anything which includes a vowel as if it had a glottal stop instead e.g "thirteen" becomes "fir een". I am in the process of trying to cure her of these afflictions... <*<   (*See Eastenders).DM

One of the worst for me is 'munf' for month.  %) %)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #213 on: January 13, 2016, 08:19:06 pm »

One thing I can't seem to stop myself doing is substituting 'me' for 'my' when speaking to friends and family. It doesn't happen when I'm at work or when speaking on the telephone.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #214 on: January 14, 2016, 01:33:28 pm »

Are you Irish?  :}

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #215 on: January 14, 2016, 05:31:51 pm »

Guaranteed Scouse  :}
A smattering of Welsh one one side but I think mainly from an Irish RC Grandmother and a Church of Scotland Grandfather!  Unlikey mix for the 1930's and even 1960's Liverpool had some sectarian problems. I dont see much sign of it now thankfully.

Dave

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #216 on: January 14, 2016, 06:25:29 pm »

"So" can be fairly legitimately used to start a sentence, as long as it is used in moderation.  It's finishing a sentence with ", so....." which is annoying.  Innit.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

inertia

« Reply #217 on: January 14, 2016, 07:06:30 pm »

One thing I can't seem to stop myself doing is substituting 'me' for 'my' when speaking to friends and family. It doesn't happen when I'm at work or when speaking on the telephone.
It's very common around here to do that, me duck....especially when you're as common as what I is, (intit).
DM

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #218 on: January 14, 2016, 07:29:56 pm »

My God Dave! Are you saying there are more of you....?  :o

Colin

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #219 on: January 14, 2016, 09:43:21 pm »

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

inertia

« Reply #220 on: January 14, 2016, 11:12:46 pm »

My God Dave! Are you saying there are more of you....?  :o

Colin

729,996 more in 2015 - and that's only in Nottingham. They also speak this way in Derby, Chesterfield, Newark, Grantham etc. As for "My God Dave!" a little more punctuation might have been appropriate. I'm sure I don't need any more encouragement.
DM

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #221 on: January 14, 2016, 11:28:17 pm »

You know your place Dave, Nottingham isn't it? Lotta m'ducks on the Trent they say.

Colin

inertia

« Reply #222 on: January 15, 2016, 09:27:09 am »

Colin
I didn't count the population personally but I did forget to mention Mansfield and Retford, where the accent is also markedly "Eass Miggluns". As for ducks, the Trent seems to have many more Canada Geese these days - certainly along the Victoria Embankment just above Trent Bridge.
DM

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #223 on: January 15, 2016, 10:18:11 am »

I think that in recent years, in my job in particular, I have noticed all the different accent types slowing merging into one version. In the RAF we are supposed to use the Queen's English to communicate, especially to record technical jobs but the way we say certain words is now virtually identical. I know a young man who comes from Somerset with a thick accent from the same region, in less than a year he speaks with no trace of an accent. This is due to the ground crews using throat mikes and we need to understand each other during aircraft movements, etc.
We use 'proper' English in our records because they are legal documents when they are completed, so when it comes to writing on forums I tend to write 'properly' instead of using modern variations. We only use technical abbreviations at work or TLAs (Three Letter Abbreviations) due to the amount of space to record the information.
I have to thank the RAF for the way I speak and write properly, unless I tell a newcomer where I'm from they can't even guess that I'm from Kettering! :}
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #224 on: January 15, 2016, 10:42:41 am »

Coming from north of the border and living for many years in the far south has had it's accentual problems in the past. One exception was when at work I used VHF radio all the time and on occasions the frequency became congested with callers trying to get a word in edgeways to the controller. It was gratifying on many occasions, especially when booking off duty, was to hear the control say 'Go ahead Jock!' over the babble and I leapt to the head of the queue. :-)) 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.