Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Correct use of the English Language  (Read 66810 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Correct use of the English Language
« Reply #175 on: December 26, 2015, 10:50:40 pm »

'Nowadays, because money is  the criteria, incorrect usage of the language, is being forced on to readers.'

Maybe not too much of a problem as these days many people just look at the pictures....

Colin

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #176 on: December 26, 2015, 11:31:07 pm »

I was always of the belief that it was POME  - referring to those who arrived in Australia as Prisoners Of Mother England. Can any Aussie confirm? 

inertia

« Reply #177 on: December 26, 2015, 11:36:30 pm »

You can call it evolving or dying but the English language is changing and not, in my honest opinion, for the better. We should not have let the American settlers continue to use it after they beat us in 1782 or thereabouts. Ironic, then, that the Internet - which is arguably the biggest propagator of the abuse of the English language - was invented by an Englishman who is also a graduate of Oxford University.
It will only improve when that infinite number of monkeys with their infinite number of keyboards all find and adopt a common and correct version of the OED, and the BBC takes 'Eastenders' off-air.

That said, I don't give a stuff how you spell 'whisky' as long as I'm within reach of a bottle.

DM

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #178 on: December 27, 2015, 01:15:36 am »

and the BBC takes 'Eastenders' off-air.

That said, I don't give a stuff how you spell 'whisky' as long as I'm within reach of a bottle.

DM

East enders? What is that?

As for whisky. I'll drink to that. With a nice strong beer!

Jim
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #179 on: December 27, 2015, 03:15:06 am »

Why, we Aussies, all speak Australian and not English.  O0 O0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QEdUwor9pc

:-)) :-)) :-))
Gunna build those other boats one day.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #180 on: December 27, 2015, 04:09:38 am »

Dear Nemo..... a simple google search will confirm that the term POME had no reference to such criminal folk deported to OZ [or their families and decedents]

"POM = A British person. Also pommy. First recorded in 1912, the term was originally applied to an immigrant from Britain, and was formed by rhyming slang. A British immigrant was called a pommygrant, from the red fruit pomegranate, perhaps referring to the complexion of the new arrivals, which was then abbreviated to pommy and pom. Although some argue otherwise, it is not an acronym of prisoner of mother England"

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjehur5kfvJAhWoGqYKHeUSC1AQFgg5MAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nma.gov.au%2Fexhibitions%2Fnation%2Faustralian_english&usg=AFQjCNE-W16Rm8ZV3hJgocady1yj2y6oMg

Another term widely for these free loaders [or later the 10 Pound Poms] was 'WBP'....and this naturally was 'whinging bl**dy poms'...it is also more than apparent, that leopards do not change their spots  {-)

Derek................[proud direct descendent from convict stock on HMS Scarborough if the First Fleet to OZ]
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

inertia

« Reply #181 on: December 27, 2015, 09:59:05 am »

East enders? What is that?

Exactly which planet do you inhabit, Jim? There are a few places remaining - chiefly in Lincolnshire - where they believe that Elvis is still alive but I would have though that 'civilisation' had reached Morecambe Bay by now.

If you are serious then take a brief look at the TV pages on the BBC website or Google its correct title ("Eastenders" - that's one word) and that will give you more than enough information about this tedious and depressing melodrama. It's shown on most nights; indeed, it's been difficult to avoid over the last few days. It is doing for the English language what the iceberg did to the Titanic.

DM

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #182 on: December 27, 2015, 11:19:31 am »

Exactly which planet do you inhabit, Jim? There are a few places remaining - chiefly in Lincolnshire - where they believe that Elvis is still alive but I would have though that 'civilisation' had reached Morecambe Bay by now.

If you are serious then take a brief look at the TV pages on the BBC website or Google its correct title ("Eastenders" - that's one word) and that will give you more than enough information about this tedious and depressing melodrama. It's shown on most nights; indeed, it's been difficult to avoid over the last few days. It is doing for the English language what the iceberg did to the Titanic.

DM

Oh I am well aware of what the programme is DM.

I just cannot believe that intelligent people still put themselves through the purgatory of watching for "pleasure" the most nauseating, miserable, throat slitting programme I ever have had the misfortune to have to endure in a life gone by!

I don't view any of the soap operas on the television  anymore now that I have a choice in viewing material, as I just found them so unbelievable of real life, when I had to and so am rebelling against my years of forced watching. I now find something else to do during that early part of an evening.

I mean when did we last have a murder in our village, never mind one a year especially at Christmas. The only murder that is recurring is when the local chip shop tries to cook a good fish supper.

Even washing dishes or folding my washing and ironing is far far more pleasurable to the misery that a soap, especially Eastenders, brings.

Hence my rather sarcastic comment about Eastenders.

Jim

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #183 on: December 27, 2015, 12:06:50 pm »

My wife watches Emmerdale and Coronation street but refuses to watch the misery of Eastenders. One thing that struck me is that with the exception of a chap on CS (trains) nobody seems to have a hobby. To me that seems odder than the number of localised disasters.

My dog loves the soaps as the music usually means a nice walk if it's not raining.

Dave

inertia

« Reply #184 on: December 27, 2015, 12:13:08 pm »

I just cannot believe that intelligent people still put themselves through the purgatory of watching for "pleasure" the most nauseating, miserable, throat slitting programme I ever have had the misfortune to have to endure in a life gone by!
Jim

Now there's potentially the start of a whole new thread...or a whole new definition of intelligent.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #185 on: December 27, 2015, 12:14:22 pm »

The hobby is right before your eyes.
Drinking copious amounts of Alcohol
Getting off with you mates Mrs and
murdering people.
My dog could write better storylines.
He is an intelligent Airedale  O0 O0

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #186 on: December 27, 2015, 12:20:09 pm »

:-)) Sign up that dog,might save many a man from the suffering we endure from soaps and the like,after all we cant always retire to the shed this time of the year......Ray.
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #187 on: December 27, 2015, 01:29:58 pm »

My son's dog Gus seemed to enjoy listening and watching that Paul O'Grady person and his rescued dogs at Xmas.
Surprisingly, he (Gus!) is an extremely intelligent Weimaraner.  {:-{

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #188 on: December 27, 2015, 01:37:10 pm »

Now there's potentially the start of a whole new thread...or a whole new definition of intelligent.

shall I start one.
how far could one go insulting a soap without swearing or getting it closed.

I shall try.

Jim

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #189 on: December 27, 2015, 01:40:07 pm »

My Staffie girl's the same but gets over excited. When a dog goes out of shot she runs to the patio doors to see if they've gone outside.

There is much incorrect use of the English language during all this charging about.

Dave

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #190 on: December 27, 2015, 07:01:19 pm »

My sons dog Gus seemed to enjoy listening and watching that Paul O'Grady person and his rescued dogs at Xmas.
Surprisingly, he (Gus!) is an extremely intelligent Weimariner.  {:-{

Should that be Weimaraner - or is he the sea-going variety? ;)
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #191 on: December 27, 2015, 09:22:55 pm »

Nemo.....

Certainly not questioning the intelligence of Gus, but did the Vet confirm that he was short sighted & needed the red circled clock at 'dogs view height?"...... as clearly he would need a ladder to climb up to view the blue circled clock

So if this is Gus's clock, is that also his 'sit-up' basket next to the tele? :embarrassed:.......

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #192 on: December 28, 2015, 12:14:25 am »

Derek,

Well spotted, also the reflection in the mirror would be confusing, it seems as if the dog is mulling it over????

O0 O0 O0   {-) {-) {-)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #193 on: December 30, 2015, 12:49:41 pm »

Maybe one of you awfully clever chaps could explain to a poor old pensioner like me how something can possibly be 110%? ("Reactor to 110%, number one"...)
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #194 on: December 30, 2015, 01:28:20 pm »

Hullo Rich......I certainly do not qualify as...'one of you awfully clever chaps' ...

However believe there is an explanation for the term you describe.......

If an engine is rated to 1000HP, that is based upon many factors, and one of them simplified is its duty rating

So if the engine is rated at 1000HP at 100% duty....then every mechanical component is designed to perform at its rated output also for a given time period

However due to parameters, if you increased the fuel and oxygen beyond its maximum rated requirement, by increased combustion and over speed you would exceed the original 1000HP output <*<...however at a potential cost of overheat  {-)

I suppose our electrical boffins could offer similar scenarios with amps & current draw exceeding the design  & thereby also with the same result of overheat

Apart from that, I had always assumed that any form of throttle in a nuclear reaction would be to increase cooling, therefore reducing the output power  >>:-(

In conclusion, it would appear OK within the scope of this English language to suggest that an engine could perform at 110%........however I find a fundamental flaw in any suggestion that a human being can perform at any value greater than 100%

So that's my twopence worth from one very poor old pensioner to another ok2  ...... Derek

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

inertia

« Reply #195 on: December 30, 2015, 02:29:41 pm »

Sorry to change direction here, but Storm Frank has brought out the poor grammar which is now acceptable on the BBC...
I've just heard a spokesperson for the Dept of the Environment use the word "obviously" THREE times in the same (quite short) sentence - when nothing of what she was describing was at all obvious. It must be contagious, because the interviewer then managed to use that same word twice in her supplementary question.
My point is simple; if something is obvious then surely it doesn't warrant any further discussion... obviously.

Back to 110%: I think this may have started with Jack Nicholson's wonderful performance in "One flew over the cuckoo's nest", when every outrageous promise that he made to that gorgon of a nurse to behave himself was qualified with "a hunnerd an' ten percen'!"

They don't make 'em like that any more.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #196 on: December 30, 2015, 02:36:54 pm »

Percentages over 100 are handy when scaling up plans!

Colin

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #197 on: December 30, 2015, 10:45:00 pm »

Grammar has never been as straight forward as the experts imagine.

In the dark late 1950's, a fellow pupil in my class was sent home with the punishment of writing out one thousand times " The word "and" cannot appear in the same sentence twice".

Next morning the headmaster received a complaint from the parent that the English teacher was an idiot and to prove it, he included a grammatically and logically correct sentence with five consecutive "and"s.

What example did he give ?

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #198 on: December 31, 2015, 12:20:43 am »

No idea but this has twenty eight

In a similar vein, Martin Gardener offered the example: "Wouldn't the sentence 'I want to put a hyphen between the words Fish and And and And and Chips in my Fish-And-Chips sign' have been clearer if quotation marks had been placed before Fish, and between Fish and and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and Chips, as well as after Chips?"

That's left me a bit discombooberated (Yes I know)  ;D

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #199 on: December 31, 2015, 07:09:57 am »

How about.

As well as enjoying the sun, sea, and sand Mods and Rockers would go to Brighton for fish and chips, and rock and roll.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.