Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Correct use of the English Language  (Read 66833 times)

inertia

Re: Correct use of the English Language
« Reply #225 on: January 15, 2016, 10:46:44 am »

I think that in recent years, in my job in particular, I have noticed all the different accent types slowing merging into one version. In the RAF we are supposed to use the Queen's English to communicate, especially to record technical jobs but the way we say certain words is now virtually identical. I know a young man who comes from Somerset with a thick accent from the same region, in less than a year he speaks with no trace of an accent. This is due to the ground crews using throat mikes and we need to understand each other during aircraft movements, etc.
We use 'proper' English in our records because they are legal documents when they are completed, so when it comes to writing on forums I tend to write 'properly' instead of using modern variations. We only use technical abbreviations at work or TLAs (Three Letter Abbreviations) due to the amount of space to record the information.
I have to thank the RAF for the way I speak and write properly, unless I tell a newcomer where I'm from they can't even guess that I'm from Kettering! :}

Nick
This reminds me of the young man who presented himself at the OASC at Biggin Hill for interview. He was first asked "Please say the word 'air'" - this he duly did. "Now say the word 'hair'" - again, done. "And finally the word "'lair'" - done.
"Now to complete the interview I'd like you to say all three words together, one after the other, please:"
"Air-hair-lair!"
"And hair-lair to you, old man! Welcome to the Officer's Club!"

I nearly was that soldier...  <:(
DM

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #226 on: January 15, 2016, 11:55:15 am »

When in the army, I had a pal who regularly took the p*** out of officers by saying 'air-hair-lair Sir' to them each morning.
He also used his regular phrase when dealing with certain officers which went ' Whale oil beef hooked Sir!'  O0

In training, when many of our younger officers were National Service, I recall a gruff old  WW2 veteran Staff Sergeant instructing us to refer to all officers as 'SIR'. He went on ' Of course, they will spell it 'S-i-r' , but I spell it 'C-u-r'!  {-)

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #227 on: January 15, 2016, 12:15:37 pm »

When in the army, I had a pal who regularly took the p*** out of officers by saying 'air-hair-lair Sir' to them each morning.
He also used his regular phrase when dealing with certain officers which went ' Whale oil beef hooked Sir!'  O0

In training, when many of our younger officers were National Service, I recall a gruff old  WW2 veteran Staff Sergeant instructing us to refer to all officers as 'SIR'. He went on ' Of course, they will spell it 'S-i-r' , but I spell it 'C-u-r'!  {-)

Just goes to show how universal the English language is, as that was how it was spelt here in OZ  O0 O0  {-) {-)
Nothing like heritage and traditions being carried on :-)) :-)) :-))
Gunna build those other boats one day.

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #228 on: January 15, 2016, 10:39:41 pm »

That reminds me of the proper spelling for the current excuse for music. It sounds like they are calling it "RAP", but the proper spelling is "CRAP' with the c being unpronounced and silent.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #229 on: January 16, 2016, 04:41:11 pm »

Gerald - back in the 50s, when Elvis P.  was a rising rockstar, a cashier in my Company referred to one of his hits as 'Dreamy Eyes' until I told her it was actually 'Treat Me Nice'!  {-)
Ontario - my second home! :-))
Bob.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #230 on: January 16, 2016, 05:23:52 pm »

You mean it's not 'Dead snails in the sunset' then?  %%

inertia

« Reply #231 on: January 16, 2016, 05:28:56 pm »

PLEASE don't start on mis-heard song lyrics.... there are thousands of them (some of them are even repeatable here!).

Now watch 'em flood in...  :o

DM

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #232 on: January 16, 2016, 06:19:34 pm »

PLEASE don't start on mis-heard song lyrics.... there are thousands of them (some of them are even repeatable here!).

Now watch 'em flood in...  :o

DM

I believe they are called "mondegreens".... Google it!

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #233 on: January 16, 2016, 09:48:33 pm »

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Danny

• Gorleston Model Boat Club
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Gorleston MBC
« Reply #234 on: January 16, 2016, 11:21:04 pm »

Obviously one of the many but - who remembers the Maxell tape ads?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxELSzay2lc

That was BEFORE I needed hearing aids  %%

Now the (c)rap music is indecipherable.

Casey Rah

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #235 on: January 17, 2016, 08:59:00 am »

:-) .....'mondegreens'...had never heard of this term.......but just watch & listen to the following  {-) x 30 times...... O0 ...Derek

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj2gdfdpq_KAhUBKJQKHX-CBDQQtwIIMTAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6p6rV3OKcjw&usg=AFQjCNGmKodnPOYk29_ZS8QsgZuBtdCrmQ
Most were improvements.  Certainly more enjoyable listening.
Terry Wogan used to be very good at creative mis-hearing.  Let us not forget Billy Cotton getting "Sophie Tucker" a bit wrong.

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #236 on: July 16, 2016, 05:53:58 am »

Found the answer so here it is,

Gunna build those other boats one day.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 23 queries.