Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Alantis  (Read 24555 times)

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
Alantis
« on: December 10, 2015, 10:18:38 am »

Alantis.........

I really enjoyed building 'Lena' and learned a few things along the way, some from my mistakes and a lot from the help, advice and threads from this forum (thanks guys). One major thing I learned was that the sails on Lena are far from adequate. They are to scale (from what I could work out from the diagram I built her from) but I imagine that if you scaled up the models weight to full size you would have to fill the full size boat with concrete to match the weight. Luckily I fitted a motor.

My original plan was to have a sailing boat that I could bring back to shore with a motor should I get into difficulty. So now Lena is finished (and working wonderfully with the motor) it's time to start building a sail boat.

After being on this forum for some time I decided that I would like to sail a boat like the 'Robbe Atlantis' but I wanted to make a boat myself and not from a kit. After a lot of forum and Internet searches and questions I decided that I would build a very similar boat. The only major problem that I could see was the keel.

The keel weighs in at 11.5kg on the Atlantis so if I have to make one it has to be from Lead. Which means making a mould and casting one....... Mmmmm. If I can make a keel I can make this boat, SO, less words and more pictures........ Here we go U2s (Alan's) Alantis........
It'll look better when it's finished!

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Alantis
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 10:20:53 am »

I love it when a plan comes together  :D

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 10:21:57 am »

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 10:24:33 am »

Things started to go mouldy......... O0

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 10:27:01 am »

If this works it looks like I'm on my way........... O0 

Wow it worked :-)) .........

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 10:37:50 am »

I decided that as I will be sailing my boat in the sea I can afford to make the keel slightly deeper. I added a couple of cm onto the depth of the keel and made it so that I can add more weight to the bottom of the keel if need be once I start to balance it in the water. More soon....... U2

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 06:07:50 pm »

Well the Christmas holidays are here and I'm full steam ahead :}

Keel position check

The rough outline of the unplanked deck

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 06:15:00 pm »

Rudder with prop cutout

The motor is fitted to a tight push fit support and can be easily removed if need be. The prop and shaft were test fitted and everything lines up perfectly.

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 06:20:24 pm »

I don't like planking every day so I had a break and started the rear cabin/wheelhouse?

All fits well, mmm its starting to look a little like something I want it to look like

:}   U2

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 12:20:52 am »

Coming along nicely!  :-))

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 04:46:42 pm »

Fantastic! Will be keeping an eye on this build.

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 08:01:08 am »

Nemo, a lot of this is thanks to you supplying me with info. Much appreciated  :-))

Tom, almost every day I'm building I can't help thinking about the thread 'I like big boats and I cannot lie', it just pops in my head ha ha {-)

I've finished planking one side and all the rear. If all goes well another couple of days should see the hull planked. Then a couple of weeks to sand, fill, sand, fibre glass, sand, fill, smooth and finally paint. In the meantime I am searching for rigging screws and deck fixings. More soon. U2

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 06:02:19 pm »

Hi unsinkable 2

Your doing a great job

Could you please tell me what wood you are using for the planking ?

Thanks
Spud

PeachyPM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 08:52:09 pm »

Proper boat building, very nice! :-))
"Bismarck must be sunk at all costs ... even if it ... means towing King George V"

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 08:19:02 am »

Peachy, Spud, thanks it's always nice to receive compliments :}

Spud, the wheelhouse/cabin is made from a plywood base and panels, with edges and work surface made from 'obechi.

The frames of the boat are made from  10mm plywood.

The planks have been cut by me from a sheet of pine. The pine sheet is 18mm thick and is made of pieces glued together by the manufacturer. I cut 2mm strips with my circular saw. If you do this you will have to make sure that you seal the wood with a good resin inside and out once you have finished planking. This stops warping and pine resin leaking out. U2

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 01:09:13 pm »

Unfortunately a bad back has stopped the build for the last and next few days so I just did a little more on the plan. Even though I knew it was going to be big it wasn't until I had finished drawing the sails that I realised how big it actually is! :o

That's a 40cm ruler..... U2

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 01:04:52 pm »

Managed to make a set of sails

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 08:32:35 pm »

US2 - Well done!
You might find some more inspiration from this website.  http://www.sparksstudios.com/boatyard/atlantis.htm

I used his overhaul section ( http://www.sparksstudios.com/boatyard/atlantis_overhaul.htm ) to put pencil lines on the sails which transformed them and gave them a more authentic look. I used an HB pencil - not too sharp!

I would try the sails without battens and see how they trim. The supplied battens are apt to become unstuck at the ends and are a nuisance - unless you can think of an improvement.
Bob.

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 09:15:50 pm »

Cheers Bob, once again a very helpful post. I have actually started the lines on the fwd sail but your post gives more detail and direction. It also gives some great photos of other detail and throws up a new question. There is a 'frame' around each mast base, I noticed that there is an extra tube on the fwd mast for the tensioning string but on the rear there are 2? One fwd and one on the left. What does the left one tighten? U2

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 09:21:10 pm »

Did you modify your post whilst I was writing? I didn't see that photo before :o  as for battens I don't know what they are or what they do  :embarrassed:  talk about biting off more than you can chew!) please expand my knowledge!   U2

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 12:15:25 pm »

Cheers Bob, once again a very helpful post. I have actually started the lines on the fwd sail but your post gives more detail and direction. It also gives some great photos of other detail and throws up a new question. There is a 'frame' around each mast base, I noticed that there is an extra tube on the fwd mast for the tensioning string but on the rear there are 2? One fwd and one on the left. What does the left one tighten? U2

U2: The 'frame' around the mast base is known as a 'pin-rail' as used in some ships to locate belaying pins to tie off halyards etc at the base of the mast - actually much better for larger ropes than cleats. Some Atlantis builders find the time to make belaying pins and install them. The tube on the left of the mainmast pin-rail brings the sheet from below decks and up the side of the mainmast to the level of the aft end of the gaff, where it crosses to another eye at the gaff end which guides it to a tying  -off cleat. I hope the photos show this clearly.  The 'tube' at the front of this pinrail takes the sheet to the after end of the boom of the 'third' sail from the bow.
Yes, as an afterthought, I added the photo for you. As for the battens, I suggest you Google 'sail-battens' to tell you what they are for. The thin plastic ones supplied with the Atlantis kit as not very good and if you can do without them so much the better, but as your build is a one-off, I suggest a trial before you decide you really need them.

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 07:42:08 pm »

Nemo, thanks again, I just realised I hadn't replied (I thought I had)

I can now carry on with my 'pin rails' knowing what they are for and what to incorporate into them. Any more photos of small details welcome.......

As for what I've been up to, well, a bit more planking.....

Before today's effort....

And then with masts.......

The masts simply slide onto threaded bars. There will be a nut on each bar so once the mast is on and the rigging is connected the nut can be turned to raise the masts and tension the rigging lines. The threaded bars go through the deck and then through 18mm wooden support plates (see photo above) these plates will be bonded between frames as well as to the underside of the deck. The reason for the strange shape (as apposed to a straight plank from one side to the other) is that I have allowed enough edge landing to be able to incorporate the rigging pin attachment points giving a total thickness of 21mm. That should be enough!
 The threaded bars continue down to the keel where they will be fixed in position after alignment of the masts once the time arrives.       U2

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 07:18:15 pm »

Not the best of photos, but hey, some progress. This was 3 days ago (23rd Jan) the planking is now complete and the hull has been fibreglass coated, then covered with body filler and the sanding process has started.
 I'm 3 days in and one side is just about up to the stage where I have to now primer it to be able to see where I missed......... Then it's back to fill, sand, fill, paint, sand for another couple of days....... You all know it {:-{ ..... Then when that's done I can start the other side........ Aaaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhh :((

Back in a week.......... U2

Oops, nearly forgot the photo.......

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 08:30:59 pm »

It will all be worth it!  :-))

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2016, 09:45:31 pm »

Well I've been very busy :} . I've now built the centre and fwd cabins, found the centre line of the deck and drilled holes for the masts. I've built supports in the bottom of the hull for the rods the masts slide on to. I've cut 3 large access holes in the deck and built walls around them to stop waters spilling in. These walls also double as supports the cabins slide on to. I've dry fitted one fwd servo winch and the rudder servo. Phew! 8)

U2
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 23 queries.