Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Alantis  (Read 24561 times)

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Alantis
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 08:07:28 pm »

A few big steps forward and one step back.........

Fwd, inside the hull all resined, a servo tray made one of the pin rails made and the biggest step of all (after a massive learning curve on another thread!) is that I can now control each of the 4 winch servos from one 6v NiMH battery pack and remotely switch on an ESC powered by a lipo should I need to.

I was hoping to avoid a lipo as I didn't want to keep having to remove it in order to charge it, but, only switching it on if needed means (with any luck) that it may only need the occasional charge after quite a few outings :-)) . The power can be checked by plug in checker. The NiMH can be charged in the model after each outing :}

I have to hold my hand up and say my lack of knowledge on the electrical side lead to some 'schoolboy error questions' thanks to the guys for helping me out (you know who you are) O0 ,

Now, my one step backwards......... After connecting 3 of the four winch servos (I have to order the 4th) and connecting a lipo and getting it all to work I started to wonder how much a 10.63kg servo could actually lift? Well not wanting to blow it up with a 10 kg weight I thought I'd try it with a 3kg weight first......... It blew up >>:-( ....... Actually it slowed down then stopped and now it doesn't work at all.  <:( . I've emailed the seller and asked him to explain and see if a fix is possible as it's probably my fault for trying to over work it (for believing a 10.63kg servo could lift 10kg) we live and learn. Wow if I carry on learning at this rate I'll be the cleverest poor person here.......

I also picked up the deck planks today so I'll be cutting and fitting those soon. Photos at weekend hopefully

It'll look better when it's finished!

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 11:12:07 pm »

http://www.sailservo.co.uk/techinfo.html
Look here for some good info.
Also why do you need to control all 4 sails independently?
On mine all are controlled by one servo winch! I can add a second to control the genoa sail if reqd but I dont see the point of fitting the genoa yet
Also it pays to buy good servo winches as well.
Mine has a hitec sail winch operating all the sails and  sails in high winds at Mayhem weekend. There are pics of her on the Mayhem pages from the last few years.

P's get a metal geared high torque servo for the rudder. I stripped a futaba 3003 and a ballraced futaba servo finding that out. The rudder has a lot of force against her when sailing in gusty conditions!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 12:47:38 pm »

Hi Klunk, yes the rudder servo fitted Is high torque and metal geared. It was overkill on another project and  has been waiting to find its place.

As for why I want to control all sails independently, I just like the idea, and I like fiddling with all the buttons and dials on my radio. At the click of a switch they will all move together but I can then adjust each sail separately should I want to.

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 04:08:25 pm »

http://www.sailservo.co.uk/techinfo.html
Look here for some good info.
Also why do you need to control all 4 sails independently?
On mine all are controlled by one servo winch! I can add a second to control the genoa sail if reqd but I dont see the point of fitting the genoa yet
Also it pays to buy good servo winches as well.
Mine has a hitec sail winch operating all the sails and  sails in high winds at Mayhem weekend. There are pics of her on the Mayhem pages from the last few years.

P's get a metal geared high torque servo for the rudder. I stripped a futaba 3003 and a ballraced futaba servo finding that out. The rudder has a lot of force against her when sailing in gusty conditions!

Do you have the Genoa kit Klunk?

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2016, 04:14:49 pm »

Think the Genny fit is a tad awkward as a retro fit.
I've met a couple of guys who have got the kit and
given up trying to fit it to an already built yacht.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2016, 06:26:03 pm »

Tom, I know 'you like big boats and you cannot lie' so I'm glad your keeping an eye on my Alantis ill try and get some more photos up soon.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2016, 01:04:38 pm »

I agree, several others have added the genoa and commented that it was not worth the trouble.  O0

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2016, 01:54:23 pm »

I have a 95% complete genny kit with plans.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2016, 06:17:40 pm »

I have a 95% complete genny kit with plans.

If you ever decide you don't want it let me know, been after one for ages.

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2016, 06:18:35 pm »

Tom, I know 'you like big boats and you cannot lie' so I'm glad your keeping an eye on my Alantis ill try and get some more photos up soon.

I've really enjoyed the thread so far, can't wait to see how she ends up.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2016, 10:50:53 pm »

I was worried when I read that you had planked one side before doing the other with the risk of the hull warping, but you have brought it off well.

I love seeing planked hulls and tyhe deck looks marvellous with those deck houses.

Keep up the good work.
Pond weed is your enemy

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2016, 06:50:09 am »

Thanks Ballast.
Yesterday saw a 3 hour battle against the rudder preparation. It has to be fitted at the same time I fix the keel. (The keel HAS to be fixed) before it is fitted it has to be totally finished including paint. The reason for this is because I don't want to spray paint into the small space between the rudder and the keel. (I want to make sure it's covered with paint )

So....... To paint it first I have to resin it and then smooth it. To resin it I had to make sure it was completed with hinges and steering arm and that it was also the correct shape once in position. This meant a number of trial fits. There's me thinking it would only take 15mins.

Today may (hopefully) see the rudder painted ready for a hull and keel get together which may take place tomorrow on Valentine's Day (oh how sweet! :kiss: )

That in turn means that today will also see me making a stand.

Wow it could be hitting the water next week :} .........

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2016, 09:13:19 pm »

So I made a stand and got the keel fitted ........ :}

Then just as I was about to start shooting photos the postman arrived with my new servos so I popped them into the servo tray I made earlier.......

You can see them here, you can also see the supports for the base of the bars that the masts will fit into as well as the rudder servo in position

Here are the bars temporarily fitted with the nut that will be used to raise the masts to tighten the rigging. It also shows the strong support that the bars are held with. These supports are waterproofed with resin and will bond to the underside of the deck when it's fitted.

Here is the deck temporarily fitted and you can see the first 'pin rail' (thanks Nemo) it still needs the legs trimming though.

This photo shows the excellent camouflage effect of the cabins against the background although it should show side view with finished rudder. :embarrassed:

More camouflage but at least you get an idea of two of the sails now.......

Ah that's a bit better, I just need to make a channel for my brass tube which sits on the underside of the deck. The tube is for the rear sail tension line and comes up through the deck at the rear flagpole holder

It might be test float time soon :} :} :} ......... U2

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2016, 07:48:49 pm »

U2, congrats on a very fine job. You took on quite a challenge in my opinion and you have more than proved your skills here. It's something I would never have attempted - but I have an Atlantis anyway %%
I look forward eagerly to your first sail video! Very well done. Just don't drop it!  :-))
Bob.

PS. Have you sorted out your rigging screws yet?

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2016, 08:38:38 pm »

Hi Bob, I've got some very strong piano wire and I intend to make some hooks from it. I have also got some big split pins and I have designed the shape of the mast support plates (18mm pine) to take these split pins. They look quite nice I think, and they are very strong they will pass through the plates and fold back as well as being fixed with resin. Four for each mast, two at the back and one at the front.

Yesterday I did the final coat of resin over the now fitted keel. Today I gave it a coat of filler so I can get it really smooth for primer and paint before hitting the water for initial level tests :-))

More very soon...... U2

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2016, 09:49:08 pm »

Your deck houses really did blend in nicely with the background! Shes a lovely model though, and the carpentry is first rate. You know someone is enjoying the build when they spend time cutting curves into parts that will be permanently hidden under something.

:-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2016, 10:18:39 pm »

U2: I have re-designed my rigging - again - and used these from Cap Maquettes. They were not cheap when you have to buy 10 but they are very well engineered and of course are adjustable. When set up, they have to be just slack enough to hook onto the deck-eyes, thus saving to have to adjust 10 screws each time. I can now set up the whole rig at the lakeside in a matter of minutes and last week I de-rigged in under a minute!.  :-))
I take it there will be no adjustment on your system - or will you use something like  bowsies?
Bob.

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2016, 07:00:06 am »

Hi Ballast...... I think it was my apprenticeship training that stayed with me and just grew more and more because whether a part is hidden or on view I do like to round all the edges, de burr and smooth off. There is a small section inside the hull where body filler was pushed in when I fitted the keel. I tried to smooth it as much as possible and then cover it with resin. It ended up a slightly lighter colour than the rest of the inside of the boat and even though it will not be seen it still annoys me. (Annoys? Not quite but can't think of a better word) (actually 'niggles' is a better word)

Nemo..... I was actually considering those a few weeks back. I think it was Cornwall models, but after looking at the pics you sent me And seeing you just had small hooks I thought I would try and make some. I also considered the price and for my boat it would be over £50 for the adjustable hooks or 1 euro for the piano wire. I can't justify it! Especially as once initially adjusted I wouldn't need to adjust them again as the system I built into my boat tightens them all with the turn of a single nut.

If you look at the bar the mast sits on you will notice it's threaded. I have a large nut sitting on the deck and when it turns it lifts the masts. The nut will be disguised as something, probably rope. BUT, I haven't dismissed the adjustable hooks totally because 'A' they look fantastic and will give something extra to the boat and 'B' I don't know how successful I will be at making good looking fit for purpose hooks. Maybe I will change them in the future...... Let's see.     U2

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2016, 09:34:05 pm »

After the resin came filler then primer and then the final touches of filler then primer....... Etc..... Eventually it was ready for white paint.......

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2016, 08:18:36 pm »

Not painted yet, I'm waiting for the right time. I connected the rudder servo and fitted the other 2 sails. I couldn't wait so I taped it together and took a photo........ It's getting near now :}

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2016, 01:20:26 pm »

Easy to carry with this handle (despite the weight)

Not bad for a first attempt at getting the black lines in the deck. I could have done a little better by folding some card between the ends of the planks as well but I'm happy enough. I also made a life ring (just another nine to make...... Then finish the cabin..... Then..........

Getting closer by the day to that first real outing.........

U2

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2016, 01:28:02 pm »

Hi U2, 'Niggle' is a good word, in fact, probably the right one for the job.

I like the name plate very much, lots of little details to catch the eye :-)) Lovely build.
Pond weed is your enemy

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2016, 07:31:56 pm »

Thanks ballast, I intend to stain the stand and then paint over the name and highlight the details in colour. There's a sail, a mast, a flag, a seagull,  a wave and a crab. %%

I managed a few more bits over the last few days..........

The holes in the bulwarks for the anchor chain and to also let the water out that it collects as it gets soaked by the sea.

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2016, 07:42:41 pm »

I need to make a winch and get some anchors....... It'll happen eventually.

I got some bracelet connectors from a craft shop, they are small brass screw together things and are great for attaching the sail lines as they just undo when you need to take the sails off. There was a loop on each end which I removed and then I just drilled them big enough to pass a string through. I tied a knot and pulled the not inside the thing. They may be small but they are strong enough to stand a sturdy pull and I think that the sails would break before they would (I'll report back on that one)

Here's the open and closed photos.........

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2016, 07:45:56 pm »

And finally a photo with the rigging and finished pin rails......

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.