Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for a 27" MTB  (Read 910 times)

DavidHughes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Suggestions for a 27" MTB
« on: December 12, 2015, 01:23:00 PM »

Hiya - Needing some help/guidance and hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction...

Just starting work on only my second ever project - a 2-and-a-bit ft long MTB.  I want a decent bit of performance out of it - reasonable speed ("scale+" planing speed, but not competition performance) and decent longevity, but at a reasonable cost.  I initially wanted to avoid Lipos and brushless on the basis that motors seem to be 50 plus, and have huge current draw meaning expensive ESCs and batteries... with other family commitments etc, I cant justify spending too much on my hobby

After a bit of guidance on the other thread I ended up with a RS540 brushed motor on the basis that at 7.2v, I would get high revs, with reasonable current draw, such that a 5000mAh NiMH would give me 30mins or so duration...maybe a bit more with a few lower speed runs, fiddling around etc   Then I came across the hobbyking website, where Turnigy motors can be had for c10 and ESCs seems reasonably priced too?   A 2822/17 motor (as suggested by someone) at 6-7 running at 7.2v would give me 8,000-9,000 rpm, with max current draw of 10A, meaning my 5000mAh battery would give me the 30 mins or so. And there was a hobbyking branded 10A ESC (with reverse) for not a lot more    Is it really as simple as that? Why are these motors and ESCs so much cheaper than anything on anyone else's website?   Sorry for all the questions - it all seems so much more complicated that I thought! 

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
Re: Suggestions for a 27" MTB
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 12:27:44 PM »

Hi David
My mate and I have a couple of Sea Hornet's 25 and 1/4 inch.
We are running Hobbyking products, which are very good.
One has a B28-57-17L 1700kv 630watt motor and the other a B28-57-15L 1900kw 750watt motor.
Both have 32mm brass 2 blade props and use a Lipo 3s 2650mah battery with a 45Amp car ESC.
Speed 35- 40mph.
I moved over to brushless motors and Lipo's!!
Lipo's will give you far longer run time(1/2 hour plus on the 2650mah).
The 2650mah is about the same size as a Nicad.
Weight 250 grams and a 2400mah Nicad is 300 grams.
Brushless motor are far more powerful than the brush motors.
Any more questions, more than happy to help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up