Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to your site  (Read 2283 times)

Shockley

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • Southport RC Smooth Sailing
New to your site
« on: December 15, 2015, 04:20:47 pm »

My name is Jeff Shockley and I live in Southport NC USA.  It is a very small sea side town.  Some of the residents here started a RC Sailboat club and asked me to help out.  They are using the Nirvana II sailboats which are about 1 meter boats.   I pan on build a rescue boat  to go and collect the stranded boats and also put out and retrieve the race buoy's.  I found your forum by accident but started looking around because it is made with SMF and I have built many forums on this platform and currently am the builder and administrator of our forum southportrc .  I have had a hard time finding any good info on building the rc boat I want so I hope I can find some ideas from people with as much experience as it appears you all have.  Please excuse my English as I am from the south and we use a lot of slang when talking.  I look forward to reading you forum.

Jeff Shockley

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New to your site
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 05:26:45 pm »

Welcome Jeff,
Lots of Help available on here,  just ask.

Len.

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 05:35:37 pm »

Hi Jeff,
          I live in Southport Merseyside UK also a seaside town (don't know why we come under Merseyside we have a Preston Lanc's postcode) welcome to the forum. I hope that your tide appears closer to shore than ours does! at times you need binoculars to see it its that far out.
      Cheers,
          Faz. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Shockley

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 06:02:28 pm »

Thanks for the welcome. Our population here is Southport NC is about 3,000 and or temps here are running about 20 f above normal.
you there are at 13 c which is close to our normal temp here this time of year.  Our town was named the happiest sea side town in the united states this year for the whole country.  Most all the residents here are retired so we look for hobbies to do.  I will ask some questions as soon as I figure out what I am doing.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 06:40:10 pm »

;) Welcome to this wonderful group of model boat builders and looking forward to your posts on here,there are quite a few guys from the other side of the pond who are members of Mayhem so you should not feel alone,so once again welcome......Ray. ;)   
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 06:45:57 pm »

Hey, y'all in yonder Cackalacky! Greetings Jeff and welcome. 
Just to help you out a wee bit, if you see the word 'yacht', read it as sailboat!  :-)) ;)
Bob.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 08:57:29 pm »

Hm, it sounds like a good Springer with plenty of buoyancy is the optimum choice as it will also allow you to fit gizmos like arms etc should you feel that you need more comprehensive rescue equipment aboard to help your fellow sailors.

Do you always attend meetings Jeff? I ask because the weakness of a rescue boat is if the builder cannot always attend a meeting thus leaving sailors without support. You as a club may need to build one or two extra rescue boats held by the members who regularly attend, or arrange for an assistant rescuer to collect and return your boat.
Pond weed is your enemy

Shockley

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 09:52:52 pm »

Hm, it sounds like a good Springer with plenty of buoyancy is the optimum choice as it will also allow you to fit gizmos like arms etc should you feel that you need more comprehensive rescue equipment aboard to help your fellow sailors.

Do you always attend meetings Jeff? I ask because the weakness of a rescue boat is if the builder cannot always attend a meeting thus leaving sailors without support. You as a club may need to build one or two extra rescue boats held by the members who regularly attend, or arrange for an assistant rescuer to collect and return your boat.

Yes I attend all the meetings.  I am retired and have lots of free time. But I do agree with you about other rescue boats.  Right now there are several people there that have either a dingy from their boats moored at the marina or a kayak if needed.  The biggest thing I am having a problem with is deciding which motors to use.  I am planning on making it an air boat with several propellers to power and steer the boat.  I was asked if I could make it large enough to deploy and retrieve the floats we use as markers for the race.  I need something that can handle that and also last long enough battery power wise to do the job.  You can see where we are doing the sailing at from my website.[http://southportrc.com]and scroll to the bottom of the page to the live web cam.  It will move around to the area where the larger sailboats are at.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 10:44:11 pm »

It looks like the Fishy Fishy cafe is getting ready to open up:O)

There is a section on motors and more than a few questions asked about motors, have  a search and see what pops up. My thought is you need plenty of torque to handle the sea and for pushing models.

Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.