Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help with car  (Read 2407 times)

boxer

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
help with car
« on: December 16, 2015, 09:12:13 pm »

Well today I parked up and went for a haircut....as I was going away a large white van reversed and parked close next to me a foreigner got out......so went back and front bumper has been hit....white paint all over wing of car.......59 plate colt.

After having a good luck bumper is slightly out of alignment and bit of plastic inside light..,not worth claiming on insurance .

Looking at it again at weekend but looks like some plastic to be glued and a bit of paint...so what glue to use to 're attach plastic bracket?

Thank you guys....just what I did not need a week before Christmas

Stavros

Re: help with car
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 10:28:27 pm »

This is the only stuff I know that SOMETIMES and I repeat SOMETIMES will work on bumpers NO GTEE at all implied

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Scotch-Weld-DP810-Acrylic-Structural-Adhesive-50-ml-/172003173954?hash=item280c302642:g:MDEAAOSwI-BWJTvH

You can use this without the proper gun...just use your head

Dave

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 11:09:35 pm »

Hey Boxer......experimented with a few adhesive materials when some dingbat reversed into my previous [1980 something] Mitsubishi wagon  & damaged the bumper & indicator bracket

1. Mitsubishi if not most vehicle manufacturers use an injection moulded high impact thermoplastic for such items
2. These are formed [moulded] from small pellets of plastic under elevated temperature but also under immense compressive forces [hydraulic presses] ...such hydraulic presses have design forces of many hundreds of tonnes
3. The material composition is designed to bend & deflect with a high yield strength prior to fracture, having said this the 'glueability' of such material is near ZERO

This is also why many solvents are stored or marked in plastic bottles

In the end I drilled & tapped a few M3 holes in the bumper bracket from the inside ...these were add mechanical strength to the joint prior to reassembly

I have used a number of 3M Scotch Weld products [gluing nitrogen valve seat disks in accumulators for components in missile launchers and gun mounts] and the products work perfectly for the as designed application

Plastic welding [a thermal process without flame] may work ;) ....

Why not ask the Google WEB site for 3M .......[Minnesota-Mining-Manufacturing?] adhesive products for use with injection moulded high impact thermoplastics .....good luck {-) ......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 11:49:21 pm »

In the BMW 8 series episode of Wheeler Dealers he used a product for bumper repairs.... cant remember what it was tho

StarLoc Adhesives also offer one for sale, but I'm not sure what the status of his business is at the moment
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 01:18:03 pm »

Yep the stuff Stavros said, we used it at BAE Systems, got to be the strongest adhesive I've ever seen.  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.