Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air brush  (Read 1772 times)

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
Air brush
« on: December 21, 2015, 11:17:29 am »

Could anyone let me know the type (specs) that I would require for an airbrush suitable for spraying models etc, or possibly point me in the right direction on a forum somehwere.  I have looked on the internet and there is a totally confusing array of brushes with compressors, and to be honest, it doesn't make a lot of sense.
 %) Do I need gravity feed or vacuum feed? compressor giving how much air per minute, water traps etc?  Some are advertised for nail art but is that because they have an adjustable spray pattern.  As I mentioned.......totally confused.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Air brush
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 12:08:13 pm »

I use a Badger 200 Airbrush which has suction feed,  internal mix and single action. I find it suitable for most needs. I most recently used it to spray a 1:96 scale Type 42 destroyer hull, that's 54 inches long, with no problem. You can fit a paint jar for bigger jobs or a cup for smaller detailing work. The spray can be set to pencil line or up to well over an inch. Distance from the job will also affect this. For really big hulls I resort to aerosols,

As for a compressor, take your pick, but I would recommend one that is quiet, has a pressure gauge, moisture trap and at least a litre reservoir (this prevents pulsing of the airflow). I also have a 6ft airway as this allows me to move around a large hull easily.

You will need to check with your supplier that the brush and compressor airway connectors are compatible or if an adapter is needed.

I also recommend that you start out spraying something that you don't mind messing up, as they say there are three things you need to start airbrushing practice, practice, practice. However, if you don't try you will never succeed.

All the best and good luck.
Don't Assume Check

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 06:33:20 pm »

I use an Aztec airbrush.  It's a very clever brush that can be used as a single or double action - it has many different knozzles to choose from and is extremely easy to clean. Have a look on google and you will see what I mean

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 06:54:08 pm »

http://www.lutonmodelboat.co.uk/frame_hints.html
look here for an informative view of basic to advanced airbrushes

SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.