Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Postage  (Read 3456 times)

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
Postage
« on: December 25, 2015, 10:50:29 am »

This is a long running gripe for anyone in the Highlands with a IV or KW postcode that suppliers charge a surcharge for delivery. Often this is not made clear in the T&Cs or added afterwards. In one recent case free delivery cost me £15 (added afterwards to my card and only found out about it after my CC Bill came in)

The stupidity is that the use of postcode is arbitrary and does not reflect any geographical or physical restriction. In one case I know of you get free delivery one side of a street while you pay a surcharge on the opposite. In another one if the remotest parts of the mainland UK gets free postage because of its postcode (10 hours drive from Glasgow + a ferry crossing, Inverness is 3-3·5 hours drive along the A9)

As I am returning to modelling after a long hiatus I am beginning to buy new equipment and am curious if any other areas of the UK have similar issues? or is it just the Highlands.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: Postage
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 12:03:53 pm »

Is it not just couriers who charge extra, Royal mail is the same I thought ?.

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 12:33:05 pm »

Is it not just couriers who charge extra, Royal mail is the same I thought ?.

Royal Mail is the same UK wide, however some suppliers add a surcharge above and beyond the PO cost for delivering to the Highlands {:-{

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 01:18:28 pm »

I`m 32 miles south of you on the A9 and have PH code, which is Perth  80 odd miles further south on the A9.  This was a major complaint when Jackie Wilson ran the Inverness Model Shop because his nearest rival in Elgin had a different code (40 miles  further east) had no surcharge.   I see a lot of ebay sellers state "Do not deliver to Scottish Highlands".   Is that valid ?  What if someone in the Highlands wants to send to Cornwall ?   Aha , the moaning Jocks again >>:-( <*<    To put some of this into perspective Inverness is on the mainline to London. I get photographic enlargements processed in London, if I email the data before 4pm I receive the prints in cardboard tubes next day by normal post lady, about 10am. Normal postage rates, no surcharge.   Not to change the subject, what type of modelling are you getting back into ?
..well can you land on this?

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 01:24:22 pm »

I've just had similar for postage to Spain.

The parcel weight was over the £15 postage limit by 6 grams {:-{ so the delivery charge went up from £15 to £47 :o the price of the goods was only £11 <:( No way was I paying 47 quid for just 11 pounds worth of goods to be delivered, so that retailer missed out on a sale.

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 01:43:20 pm »

Getting back into boat modelling with the hope of having the first model wet before summer.

The postage/delivery issue is an annoyance as it is adding quite a lot to the cost of some items (mainly tools ATM). I am aware that one of the companies being used for delivery does not have a surcharge policy but I am still charged extra for delivery to Inverness by the supplier I am considering purchasing from

As you are aware for any hobby there are three versions of the cost.

The cost you say you paid
The cost you admit to paying
The actual cost..

And the cost you pay for  getting busted when the actual cost is found out.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 02:00:20 pm »

I've just had similar for postage to Spain.

The parcel weight was over the £15 postage limit by 6 grams {:-{ so the delivery charge went up from £15 to £47 :o the price of the goods was only £11 <:( No way was I paying 47 quid for just 11 pounds worth of goods to be delivered, so that retailer missed out on a sale.

Parcel2go is the best for sending parcels in Europe
UPS Do up to 25Kg for about 23.00+VAT
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Crossie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 02:53:22 pm »

I`m 32 miles south of you on the A9 and have PH code, which is Perth  80 odd miles further south on the A9.  This was a major complaint when Jackie Wilson ran the Inverness Model Shop because his nearest rival in Elgin had a different code (40 miles  further east) had no surcharge.   I see a lot of ebay sellers state "Do not deliver to Scottish Highlands".   Is that valid ?  What if someone in the Highlands wants to send to Cornwall ?   Aha , the moaning Jocks again >>:-( <*<    To put some of this into perspective Inverness is on the mainline to London. I get photographic enlargements processed in London, if I email the data before 4pm I receive the prints in cardboard tubes next day by normal post lady, about 10am. Normal postage rates, no surcharge.   Not to change the subject, what type of modelling are you getting back into ?
    I really do sympathise with your complaint, but as someone who used eBay an awful lot when downsizing my/our lives, possessions,hobby stuff etc., I feel that it is valid to list ( especially heavy and bulky ) things thus but only because ebay has no way to list 'variable' postage rates  and they also incorpoated postage fees into the final value, so I for one am one guilty of that which offends you. However I always worded my listing so that 'private' rrangements could be made with folk who though no fault of their own suffered the penalties of the 'Highlands & Islands' rates levied by the Mail and courier companies . The Royal Mail is supposed to be a national service after all, and the Westminster clowns always bang on about 'one nation'!

Trevor.

Chris67

• Full Mayhemer
    • La mini-flotte de Lamiral67
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 06:29:29 pm »

Happy New Year !!

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 06:58:02 pm »

In Wick where I live is thought by some companies to be in Orkney because of the KW postcode.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.