Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: grease and prop shafts  (Read 7994 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: grease and prop shafts
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2007, 01:30:01 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 09:09:46 pm »

I need to buy a new tube / tube of prop shaft grease, what is Mayhem's favourite grease?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 09:19:30 pm »

I use Halford's silicon grease for bikes. Had the same tube for several years althogh will probably have to renew it soon.
Don't Assume Check

catengineman

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 09:22:58 pm »

Having ASD'S and not prop shafts I use a can of chain lube which I can squirt into the ASD units, but I have used the same on my skippers tugs

R,

Stavros

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 10:25:09 pm »

Martin I use Castrol LM grease in all my shafts with no probs at all

stavros

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2008, 08:32:04 am »

I use Robbe prop shaft grease. Weird I know.  ::)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

terence

• Shipmate
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2008, 03:07:32 pm »

I use Castrol C L lime grease, used on outboard motors. It woks fine for me.
Terry.
Terrys tugs

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2008, 04:44:32 pm »

Having ASD'S and not prop shafts I use a can of chain lube which I can squirt into the ASD units, but I have used the same on my skippers tugs

R,

i take it ASD units are hollow on the inside, dont they spray oil everywhere when in motion?
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

bbdave

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2008, 05:35:07 pm »

I'm experimenting with high viscosity chain oil

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2008, 05:38:30 pm »

as for what I use, Premier Sapphire PTFE High temp industrial grease. 

catengineman

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2008, 08:21:24 pm »

i take it ASD units are hollow on the inside, dont they spray oil everywhere when in motion?

Your right there Ghost in the Shell, They have a shaft running down to a 90deg gear drive which normally relies on the water for a lubricant but I drilled and fitted some pipe work so I could fill the void with grease which makes them quieter and stops any ingress of water into Tito.

rwalker

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2008, 07:38:53 pm »

Regarding using a canal to sail in, it's never been a bother to anyone in my experience. I sailed in a dock area in Lower Heyford, and a public tie down in Banbury. I think you have the right idea to ask around, and in general be courteous to the full size boaters. Everyone I've met enjoyed seeing the models run. As long as you are not being a pain, or causing a navigation hazard, I don't see a problem. But that was 20 odd years ago, things may well have changed. And I'm assuming you're running electric scale or sport, not the nitro stuff.  Another thing was I did not run in the high traffic parts of the day, mostly in the afternoon before dusk, when folks are settling in for evening and are amused at the sight of a small patrol frigate steaming the down canal.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2008, 08:36:42 pm »

I sailed the other week on the T&M from my local park to the harecastle tunnel entrance, for most of the time I stayed mid channel, however when the only full size boat came along, brought the model close to the towpath shore and politely shouted to the boater to ease off, which he did, passing the model with care, even shouting to his dear wife to look out of the window.  he didn't open up again until he had put the length of 2 full size narrowboats between his stern and My model. 

as long as you are curteous and polite, most narrowboaters will respect you and pass you with care.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2008, 09:12:44 pm »

Today, I was fitting out my second Springer with a Prop shaft, so was able to look into the situation in great detail.

I noticed that the shaft only touches the bearings at each end. The whole of the tube section does not actually touch the shaft at all. I was wondering why so much grease was needed to be packed in. I can appreciate the quantity would be held in reserve (as it were) to be eased outward to these bearings, but if it were stiff grease then this wound not happen.

The converse would be true if Oil was used, however, as this would flow outwards with the rotation of the shaft and then onwards into the water, hence the need for a filler to replenish the loss.

I decided on putting in some thick grease on the bearings and just smear the shaft itself as it was fed through.

This brings me to a question on the final positioning of the outer case with relation to the stern of the boat. Does one leave a small bit protruding or is it fitted flush with the end ?

Another question  (last one, I assure you). When the propeller is screwed on and the nut on the shaft is tightened to it, what do you do with surplus thread showing ?  If you then pull it through to the motor fixing end, I find you are left with a shortage of thread to prevent the nut on the shaft being flush against the bearings. I had to fit extra washers at this point. is this the done thing ?

Thanks for listening.

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.