Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Robbe Dusseldorf Fire Boat Rebuild  (Read 9463 times)

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
Robbe Dusseldorf Fire Boat Rebuild
« on: December 27, 2015, 01:29:03 pm »

So just before Christmas, I decided to treat myself to an early present and splashed out on a fully completed Robbe Dusseldorf Fire Boat, a very nice model that has been on the wish list for a while, one quick eBay purchase later secured me the boat, it was unfortunately on the wrong side of the country for the festive run to see the family, but postage was an option so decided to chance it.
At this point I need to pause and congratulate the sender, as the box was made specially for the model and the bubble wrap plentiful, Pacelfarce on the other hand, decided to drop something heavy on it, (see attached photos) a claim is currently being lodged and I am trying to source a new superstructure from Robbe directly, how successful I will be is another matter, it will make this post much longer if I can't get hold of one.

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Robbe Dusseldorf Fire Boat Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 01:42:41 pm »

Photo

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 01:44:05 pm »

Photo

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 01:44:44 pm »

Photo

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 05:56:38 pm »

thats a real shame as it looks a well made model . Good luck on getting a new superstructure from Robbe ,but I would not hold much hope at all. I think it might be a case of repair or make new

john

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 06:01:25 pm »

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply, I had another Mayhemer contact me earlier today with a possible lead on a new superstructure, but if not, it should not be that difficult, the roof is salvageable and the side walls are flat panels, so I can chop the roof off, laser cut new sides at work and I could patch then mould the front or draw one and 3D print it.

Alex

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 09:02:01 pm »

As Robbe is no more so to speak a rebuild is definatly on the cards

Dave

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 07:55:52 pm »

It may not be the good news I was hoping for, but things are moving forward, I emailed the Robbe contact email address and received a very nice email back from a guy called Thomas Frick, who informed me that Robbe had become insolvent and bought up by:

http://www.krick-modell.de/frameset.html

Reading the above website, in the news section, they give the following statement:

Robbe ship models with Krick

The ship model division from Robbe Modellsport has passed into the possession of Krick Modelltechnik since the summer 2015th We have taken almost all constructions and forms around the ship modeling and will endeavor to re-hang the attractive ship models and the major components of the seal range and thus even more to revive the model ship.
Starting with the most important entry-Katja and Dolly, on the rapid motor yachts like the Naiad, to the fireboat Dusseldorf or deep sea tugs Happy Hunter we want the program back up step by step and expand. And it is precisely also the accessories are not missing. Surely the time something will take, there could only be taken at little inventory of Robbe. We are constantly pushing products again reissue. A regular visit on our homepage www.krickshop.de always worthwhile.

So it sounds like the fire boat will eventually make a return and in the online shop, they already have quite a large selection of Robbe accessories, so I am now waiting to hear back from them, to see if they have a superstructure in stock.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 09:56:02 pm »

Hi Alex
well that is great news to some or all of Robbe boat division is coming back  . Could do with some of there rudders and fittings

John

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 09:58:04 pm »

Have a look at the website john, alot of fittings are already available

GrahamD

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 03:08:04 pm »

Well great minds think alike  %%  I've always wanted one of these, but at the cost of the kit and the bits needed, it was always way out of my price range.

However just before Xmas I saw this one on Fleabay and haggled a £200 price, and rather than risk Parcel Farce or any other courier I drove the 200 miles to collect her  :-X .

Turns out to be one of the best bargins I've had for a long while. Not only did it come with all servos fitted (and working), but also both motors, twin Viper controllers, working rear crane/winch, lights, radar and Mtroniks sound system. Plus two transmitters (40mhz), one Futaba with RX (6 ch) and a Robbe F-14 transmitter with fitted 4 switch/4 pots upgrade, along with Robbed RX and mod module. However the F-14 has a fault, but nothing I shouldnt be able to fix once I've unburied my Scope.

I'm in the throws of fitting my Turnigy 2.4ghz TX & RX (but rapidly running out of channels lol, but working on way around that).

Apparently its only ever been on the water for 2 mins for a test run, so in excellent condition.

Not sure if you have them or not, but I also got included the Robbe manuals & Very hard to find Plans if it helps you ?

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 03:44:46 pm »

I think the rewards of a semi-scratch built superstructure, where you can sharpen up some of the originals blow moulded details, over replacing with an ( eventual ) replacement part, would be worth that extra effort. Think of those window surrounds, nice and sharp...that would be a first!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 10:33:41 pm »

• Graham D - I think, "bargain of the century" would be a more apt phrase there, very nice looking boat there and the working crane on the back is a nice touch. I have a Robbe Futaba Navy as well, which I have done a dual 40Mhz / 2.4Ghz upgrade on: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,52395.msg537967.html#msg537967, I have also replaced the aux switch expansion module with a newer and cheaper system from an individual in Germany: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,52951.msg544729.html#msg544729. Well worth doing if you have time, please post photos when you have her on the lake where she belongs  :-))
  • unbuiltnautilus - You are quite right, even if I don't manage to get a new factory superstructure, there are advantages to self-built, ideally I would replace the superstructure, like for like to get her up and sailing and once the project bench has cleared a bit, then rebuild.
Alex

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 09:16:38 am »

HI Alex lets hope Robbe UK come trumps and finds a superstructure for your project. Yesterday I had 120 mile round trip to return a model helicopter. I could have sent it by other means but if it arrived damaged then getting a refund may been difficult so in the car and to return the item. For other mayhem members I have enclosed some pictures of my Robbe  Schultz build which required a large amount of scratch building to be done. Sorry if you have already seen these pictures in warship-military section of mayhem. The full cabin had to be rebuilt from plastic card sheet along with other items. Sorry about the shoes not my picture
Stan

GrahamD

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 01:16:31 pm »

Alex, I have ordered the FSky module (same tech as my other JR & Taranis kit), will read your article with interest.

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 11:44:18 pm »

Finally found some time to get the fire boat onto the workbench this evening and decided to have a closer look at what is inside and what works more importantly. I am happy to report, that apart from the damage to the superstructure, everything else seems to be good, working lights all round, the pump for the fire monitors turns over, both geared prop shaft units run fairly smoothly and a nice surprise to find that the front fire monitor has a separate servo to the two roof mounted ones.
With a little work I should be able to stitch it roughly back together and go sailing this weekend!  :-)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 01:24:02 pm »

You should be able to bond most of the structure back together with modified acrylic adhesive- will be stronger than the original. The front area will require some replacement, but otherwise, it should be a fairly straightforward fix. ABS and HIPS does tend to get a bit brittle with age.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 02:07:03 pm »

Some of this on the inside would make a good strong temporary repair
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schumacher-Battery-Tape-Natural-50Mx17mm-H1039/371537096882

We use this to reinforce & fix damaged lexan bodyshells at the track
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 03:04:22 pm »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice, after looking at the cracks last night, for some gentle sailing on Sunday, I think some super glue will suffice, I may then do a longer term fix with tape or acrylic based glue like suggested.
It is all time at the end of the day, as I am trying to move along my jet drive prototype and another project at the same time.

Alex

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 12:46:56 am »

Hi Guys,

More progress today, fitted out the fire boat with some new speed controllers and radio gear and bench tests are looking positive, so lake testing tomorrow, pictures and hopefully video to follow

Alex

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2016, 06:07:32 pm »

Hi Guys,

Successful trip to the club lake today, nice and sunny between the snow and hail showers! Got the fire boat sailing and she goes really well, really good turn of speed, but having a bit of a problem with the power suddenly cutting out and then back in again. At first I thought it was a broken Tamiya connector on the battery, which was replaced lake side, but it kept happening, at the moment I suspect the escs I have in there are too small, as they were getting quite warm.

Video of the boat underway: https://youtu.be/XSeYoe7KZyg

Alex

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2016, 06:54:22 pm »

Hi Guys,

Another video from today, but this time from a roof mounted GoPro camera:

https://youtu.be/8OpK3fRZzlM

Alex

PeachyPM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2016, 08:04:36 pm »

Nice rate of knots there Alex! She'll defiantly keep up with the rest of the fleet on the next "navy day" (I'm sure she'll be allowed as a forces work boat) sorry I couldn't make it today, the wife/valentines day combo came into affect!  :embarrassed:
"Bismarck must be sunk at all costs ... even if it ... means towing King George V"

PeachyPM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2016, 08:13:35 pm »

Just watched the second video, I must say....our lake looks bloody great didn't it? :-))
"Bismarck must be sunk at all costs ... even if it ... means towing King George V"

IKB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2016, 11:30:08 pm »

Hi Guys,

Small but eventful steps with this project, I stripped down the original water pump and found a damaged gear, fortunately I was able to flip it around and get it to work again, very successful test of the monitors today.

Alex
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.