Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]   Go Down

Author Topic: T.A.R.G.E.T - Rotating Seven gun turrets?  (Read 253466 times)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Re: T.A.R.G.E.T - Rotating Seven gun turrets?
« Reply #425 on: April 21, 2019, 07:44:55 pm »

There's a chunk of the flowchart I wrote ages ago which handles "the direction you need the turret to turn" whether the desired target angle is positive or negative and whatever the current turret angle is. Might help you, or you may already have cracked it?

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #426 on: April 22, 2019, 01:19:46 pm »

From a purely practical point of view a model boat will generally be sailed in a large oval (1700x 700m).
On selecting a bearing to fire on the TARGET system will ascertain which turrets can train onto that bearing, either to port or starboard. Those that can bear after rotation completed will fire when commanded.
By this time the model may have started a 180 degree turn, and calculations get more tricky.
Some turrets will no longer bear, and others may have to be counter-turned to pick up the target on the opposite beam.  This is what makes the Ardunino computers really earn their keep.

Of course "lesser" ships that (only) have to turn guns to port or starboard 90 degree can fire once on each leg of their oval.

Can we achieve a much better rate of fire than twice per sailing oval on a lake?

Personally I believe we can.   :-))
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #427 on: April 22, 2019, 06:26:37 pm »

There's a chunk of the flowchart I wrote ages ago which handles "the direction you need the turret to turn" whether the desired target angle is positive or negative and whatever the current turret angle is. Might help you, or you may already have cracked it?

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your thoughtful offer – I cracked the stepper bit (-180/+180) many months ago, took me some while longer to finally get my head around the turrets facing the stern which I know is simple but my original approach was floored.

Bob and I installed part (half’ish)  of the TARGET system into his HMS Agincourt for Mayhem 2018, but as such was not really anything to get excited about

After this point the project gathered dust for many months as other things took it’s place – it was only a few weeks back that I revisited the subject.

All the boat-based functionality is working even thought for the purists out there it’s only a “bench” model and may not translate into a working “ship” based solution - really?

I have been working on some shore based functionality which hopefully may see the light of day at Model Boat Mayhem weekend at the end of May 2019

Part of that functionality is the shore based visual feedback system which in itself presents me some challenges not allowing the "pointer needles" to go through the 180 degree point and instead force them to go via zero degrees to get to the other side - this is mainly as it's not a language I am familiar with but all adds to the fun!!!

Regards

C-3PO

I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 24 queries.