Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pistol type transmitter  (Read 4879 times)

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Pistol type transmitter
« on: December 28, 2015, 01:31:58 pm »

I was told they are the best for boats, has anyone used them ? If so what are they like.  I have not seen one over here so I can't comment.
Chris

inertia

Re: Pistol type transmitter
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 01:50:38 pm »

Chris
I haven't seen many used for boats (I exclude those supplied with boxed Ready to Run toys). I tried one but I couldn't master the throttle control, although I dare say that if you've never used a 2-stick transmitter previously then you'll probably have little trouble with a 'steer-wheel and trigger'. My advice would be to try both types before you decide, if you possibly can.
Dave M

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 01:55:59 pm »

Dave I have only used the stick ones, I just can't see how you can control the boat with a wheel  and a trigger. I a gree with you on that.
Chris

richald

• Full Mayhemer
  • Retired and loving it!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 02:15:35 pm »

swapped my old 2 stick transmitter for a car type transmitter mainly because
both channels have left/right and forwards/reverse limits and rates adjustable

Used on a club 500 raceboat - absolutely brilliant ! - the steering is of course much more intuitive!

The unit is £17-£18 cheapie from Banggood

http://www.banggood.com/AX5-3-Roles-2_4G-Transmitter-With-Receiver-For-RC-Car-p-943064.html

Richard
Senior member of the OGG (Order of the Grumpy Gits)
Membership Number : 002

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 02:20:20 pm »

Just preference really. My old Futaba M series sets were both steerwheels but not pistol grips. They looked like bricks but were actually very comfortable and I still have them. I have also had a couple of pistol grips since then and found them OK. I did find the the wheel is much more intuitive, especially when the model is approaching you but I guess you get used to anything.

Colin

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 08:41:20 pm »

I have one that came with a workboat model. It has become redundant since I am replacing the gizmos with more controllable systems and wondered if it was easy to cut the wheel and trigger mechanisms out complete with telemtry so the former can be positioned like a real steering wheel and the trigger reworked into a telegraph style arrangement.

I can see how a wheel will turn the same way regardless of which direction a boat is moving as Colin mentions.
Pond weed is your enemy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 09:02:22 pm »

It should be easy enough to relocate the controls as long as you remember which wire does what! I replaced one of my Futaba steerwheels when it eventually broke with one from another manufacturer.

Colin

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 09:20:39 pm »

I find them awkward to use, but that's probably because I've always owned the two stick variety of transmitter. There are only two or three members of our club who use them.

Peter.

inertia

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 11:22:48 pm »

Dave I have only used the stick ones, I just can't see how you can control the boat with a wheel  and a trigger. I agree with you on that.
Chris
Chris
You hook the forefinger of your left hand into the trigger and squeeze it (towards the grip) for "forward". For reverse, you extend the finger and push the trigger away from the grip. There's not a lot of movement available for fine control of the speed. If you're left-handed this must be doubly difficult to get the hang of as you'd naturally want to use your left hand for steering.
I don't recommend modifying transmitters unless you know exactly what you're doing. It will also invalidate any warranty.... but...
Suit yourself.
Dave M

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 12:00:58 am »

Like anything else in life it's down to practice, I converted to pistol grip/ steerwheel for RC buggy / short course truck racing when I got my first set for my fiftieth. Prior to that I used stick radios like most.

Only problem I had was remembering that pushing forward on the finger throttle was the brake (or reverse) .....but it made me adopt a better, smoother driving technique. It's just like a slot car controller for throttle, pull to go fast. The steering wheel is as said before, intuitive and quite natural.

Might not recommend it for twin throttled or extra functions though

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 07:34:12 am »

I bought a pistol grip transmitter for my grandsons boat which he uses quite well (he is only four),I personally find them difficult to use as I am left handed and find them awkward to use with my Arthritis,all my transmitters are throttle right stick, rudder left stick which I am used too,like everything in life it is a matter of taste and what you feel comfortable with.....Ray.   
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 07:45:39 am »

Thank you for all your replies,  perhaps it is just a matter of what you are used to and if you can get along with the pistol type. As I haven't seen one and held one I can't make an opinion on them. I will just go with what I know .
Chris

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 07:58:40 am »

I can see how a wheel will turn the same way regardless of which direction a boat is moving as Colin mentions.

Yes is what makes them popular,  unfortunately the position and action of the trigger makes them very awkward for slow / scale type manoeuvring....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Im a tugger cos i pulled
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 03:48:41 pm »

Hi guys i just upgraded from 40 mhz to 2.4 ghz on my southampton tug im only using a 2 ch control stick type my problem is the wheel on the front controls forward and reverse and the dam trigger controls left and right im still attempting to reverse the function maybe a bit of advice is required the stick tx kit is flysky fs gt2 digital rcs HEEEELP.

inertia

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 03:58:29 pm »

Can you not simply swap over the receiver connections between the rudder servo and the speed controller?

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Im a tugger cos i pulled
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 04:04:41 pm »

That was the first thing i thought of doing but it wouldnt work at all with the connections reversed this has got me stumped thanks mate for the fast reply i will get it sorted may chuck it out the window and stamp on it haha i need a cup of tea.

inertia

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 04:10:41 pm »

Pete
"If at first you don't succeed, try again - then give up. No need to be a damn fool about it".
E-Bay beckons, I think...
Dave M

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 09:16:10 pm »

Found this - http://www.monkeyhobby.com/flysky-fs-gt2-2-4ghz-2-channels-digital-propotional-radio-control-system/ - the implication of the demonstrator is that if the receiver is correctly powered and bound, and the items to be controlled are plugged into the right receiver slots the right way round, it should all work because there is nothing to stop it.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.