Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from me,  (Read 3083 times)

Jon_C2015

• Full Mayhemer
  • Back to model boat building after many years.
Hello from me,
« on: December 29, 2015, 08:45:44 am »

Hello all,[size=78%] [/size]
I just wanted to say Hi to everyone on this Forum, as I joined yesterday after reading some very good articles on this site.
I am heading back to Model boat building and a 28 year absence, of which I have spent my time mostly on Offshore Construction vessels, and am currently typing this message from a Subsea support vessel.
 [/size]I don’t think anyone on this site can actually get ships out of their system, so now I have a man cave of my own, and an understanding Minister of war and finance that knows I need some down time after coming home on leave. I have decided to come back into the fold of model making, along with wanting to pass the Hobby onto my Son and Daughter whom are only seven months old at this moment in time.[size=78%]
Anyway, a big hello to you all.
Regards
Jon

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hello from me,
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 09:11:57 am »

Hi Jon, welcome, I look forward to see what type of vessel you decide to build.  :-))

Joe

Jon_C2015

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 09:25:00 am »

Good morning Joe,

Many thanks for your welcome message.

I have recently bought a Mount fleet model of the Ben Ain Coaster. I have had my wife DHL the instruction book out, in order that I can read the manual whilst offshore, it arrived yesterday!

Big decision now would be steam or an electric motor?? Open to suggestions, as I am really not up to speed on either.

Once again, many thanks for your reply.

Jon

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 09:50:47 am »

:-)) Hi,Ron,welcome to the wonderful world of Mayhem,this the place for all your model boat questions and any help you may need with your models,it is also a place to just have a chat with your mates,it is also a good site for buying and selling anything to do with model boats and you can pick a few good deals on here,anyway welcome and enjoy your time here.........Ray. :-))
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Jon_C2015

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 10:58:37 am »

Hey there Ray,

Many thanks for you message. I am really looking forward to catching up with all things new in the Model boat world, then starting my Ben Ain build when I get home. Apologies to all in advance for my daft questions whilst being stuck to a piece of model boat.
Once again many thanks.
Regards

Jon

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 12:35:56 pm »

Hi Jon, Live steam or electric really depends where your interest lays, plus how deep your pockets are, steam in my experience equals VERY deep pockets, having said that it is a fascinating subject in it's own right, electric is much simpler to install and less fiddling around at the waters edge, I guess you pays your money and takes your choice. %% 

Jon_C2015

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 01:23:31 pm »

Good afternoon Joe,
Many thanks for your valued advice.
I have had a quick look at steam plants on the internet today, and they look absolutely beautiful, however I think I need to be realistic with being a first build in quit some time. I will certainly explore and mull over all the options.

I would imagine the shear fact that installing a steam plant would take a considerable amount of time,along with the fact that I have fingers like bananas. It might be a wee bit fiddly...?

Are the steam sound generating modules any good? I think they sound a brilliant idea in principle.

Once again many thanks for you valued advice.

Jon

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
  • Born free, forced to work!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 01:26:16 pm »

Welcome to mayhem Jon!  :-))
Cheers,

-Adam-

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 03:03:25 pm »

Jon, welcome to Mayhem! :-))

I fitted an Alan Bond steam sound machine in my boat and then wrote a review about it here... http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,51292.msg530410.html#msg530410 U2
It'll look better when it's finished!

Jon_C2015

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 03:06:23 pm »

Hey there Adam,

Many thanks for your welcoming words. It seems like everyone is really helpful on this site, that's really good to know.

The Platform in your avatar isn't Deep water Gunashli is it?

Regards

Jon

Jon_C2015

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 03:10:37 pm »

Hey there Unsinkable..

Many thanks for your welcome message along with the link to your review. That will be my reading sorted for tonight!

Would you recommend a smoke generating unit to go along with the sound generating unit?

Apologies in advance if you have touched on this in you review.
Regards

Jon

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 03:34:02 pm »

Hey there Adam,

Many thanks for your welcoming words. It seems like everyone is really helpful on this site, that's really good to know.

The Platform in your avatar isn't Deep water Gunashli is it?

Regards

Jon

Hi Jon,

No, it's the Alwyn North platform (about 450km 'ish' from Aberdeen).  :-))

I took the photo from the stand-by boat I was on at the time.
Cheers,

-Adam-

Jon_C2015

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 04:01:52 pm »

Hey there Adam,

Great picture! we are currently alongside a similar platform conducting ROV operations, I never fail to be impressed by these great beasts just jutting out of the sea..

Regards

Jon

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 05:51:52 pm »

Hi Jon and welcome

There are plenty of members who sail your side of the river so there's no need to go short of hands on advice. Also I think the first show of the year is at Ellesmere Port and that's a great two day event. Plenty to see and buy so dont miss it if you have the time.

Dave

adamD98

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 06:02:11 pm »

Hi Jon and welcome

There are plenty of members who sail your side of the river so there's no need to go short of hands on advice. Also I think the first show of the year is at Ellesmere Port and that's a great two day event. Plenty to see and buy so dont miss it if you have the time.

Dave

I second that Dave.  :-)) Ellesmere if I am correct certainly is the first show, and it is a fantastic weekend to get to if you can. I will be there with a few toys (one of which is 16' long!). Hope to see you chaps there?!

Jon - I looked into going ROV pilot/tech but it would cost far to much for me to put myself through it. They fascinate me though, and the multitude of jobs they can do is immense and impressive.
Cheers,

-Adam-

Jon_C2015

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 08:37:56 am »

Good morning Dave,

Many thanks for your kind welcoming words, yes am not far from Ellesmere Port, so hope I am home for that. Be great to see other Models, and catch up on all the latest information in the Model boat world.
It's one thing that attracted me to the Ben Ain build as it was built in Ellesmere Port, so a little local historical connection.

Once again many thanks for the information and kind words.

Adam,

16' Jeeze!! well done on making something that big! in the first place. I thought I was in good shape with a 4' long model coaster. Feel inadequate now. Ha ha. Hope I am home to attend the weekend.
Yes, the ROV pilot techs courses are expensive, and at this moment in time with the oil and gas oversupply the jobs market for pilots is very slow going. However as you say the work that they can carry out is impressive and getting better all the time, with deeper water submersibles being developed by the likes of Oceaneering. Everyday is a school day with subsea Engineering.

Regards

Jon

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.