Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New member signing in  (Read 2602 times)

David_l_perry

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
New member signing in
« on: December 30, 2015, 07:45:17 pm »

Hi Chaps

Just joined the forum as I am just getting myself back into toy boats again after a short break.

Bit about myself - 43 years old.....Run my own business and love building things......

Done a few RC model related things in the past, but most enjoyable for me was the building of my Radio control boats.

First boat I did was a model slipway Shamrock - to be honest - it was not a great success as a first attempt, but I learnt a lot - The build was fine, it was the painting that let it all down

I then decided to have a second crack at another kit

I built a Model slipway Tsekoa II about 10 years ago - time has flown since then since my kids came along.

Great kit and really enjoyable build.   Few photos

Far more enjoyed the building and weathering than sailing to be honest  :-)

Also built a Sub and messed around with a  few 1:16 tanks - always fun

I am just looking at restarting my third boat kit.  Its another Model slipway kit that I bought about 8 years ago, but didn't really do much at it

Its the Loyal Class Supporter.  I bought the kit second hand but unstarted.

Looking forward to cracking on with this in the new year.

The kit looks again to to be the high standard that I found with the Tsekoa - so looking forward to a relatively straighfoward build.

So far the Hull is just about sanded and ready for me to get the decks fitted - one thing that I noticed straightaway when I dug the kit out is that the Keel supports had been stuck way to far forward - will rectify this

I am also massively into my toy cars....slightly bigger this time though.....

Its a Robin Hood 2B kit car that I fitted with a Jaguar Stype 3.0l V6 engine....with a  big enough hammer....you can make pretty much anything fit.....

Getting back into the toy Boat building is to keep me occupied after the last 12 moths of engine fitting, on a slightly less demanding scale.... ok2

Anyway....Glad to have found this site and looking forward to picking you collective brains and contributing where I can

Dave

[/size][size=78%] [/size]

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New member signing in
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 08:03:39 pm »

Hello Dave and welcome to the forum.

Some nice pictures there.  We look forward to asking You questions.

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 08:17:53 pm »

welcome Dave. in my youth I built a Robin Hood S7 sierra based. 1.6 pinto with upgraded cam, ss 4 port  sweeping exhaust, and a 5 speed diesel gearbox. ! enjoy the boats and the car!!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 09:44:48 pm »

Hi Dave and welcome to Mayhem.  Your Tsekoa looks amazing - you are clearly no beginner at this game.  I am sure you can teach us as much as we can offer to you - so keep on posting.

Happy New Year - Happy New Membership!   :-)) :-))

Greg

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 09:58:03 pm »

Welcome aboard Dave. Nice models, and a VERY nice car :-))

Peter.

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 10:19:32 pm »

Hi Chaps

Just joined the forum as I am just getting myself back into toy boats again after a short break.

Toy boats....toy boats?  Now - go wash your mouth with soap, then straight to bed with no supper!

But can forgive you anything after seeing that car - just awesome. What is the 0 - 60 time?

Dave.
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 10:27:05 pm »

Welcome Dave. That ship model is beautifully weathered! I can see you are another modeller like KPNuts who is also a wizard with the paint.

I am sure I on't be the only one looking forward to seeing your new project progress.
Pond weed is your enemy

David_l_perry

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 11:02:31 pm »

Cheers chaps.  I call all of my hobbies toys.....I'm happy to be a big kid with bigger toys.

Not timed the 0-60 time on my toy car yet......

Painting was the one thing that I really struggled with on the shamrock.  It was gloss spraying that failed me.   The tsekoa was all primer red, grey and whites, far simpler to get a good finish.    I did get some great advice on spraying with cans about heating the cans up first and that really helped.

Just been browsing the forum and found some great links on the loyal kits, so plenty of food for thought.

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 11:15:05 pm »

Hi David, welcome to Mayhem, you are always welcome to ask, you only have to find the question, nothing is daft here, only the guys!!!!!. Just a point your right in warming rattle cans this raises the pressure and thins the paint, try warming the area to be painted, that causes the paint to dry quicker. With gloss it may need buffing to get the finnish you want.

Mark
Tugs are for pulling
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.