Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Craigs Severn in the shipyard  (Read 30492 times)

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
Re: Craigs Severn in the shipyard
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2016, 06:30:29 pm »

Craig, I would go for the 'beefier' version - Futaba S3001 at £22.50. This has double the torque of what you have. Go to Servo City UK and put your servo reference in, then go down looking for around 6 - 9kg of torque rate [I think you currently have 3kg] and ball races and metal gears at the price you want to pay. You can always put one of the servos you have already on each rudder, joined from the Rx by a 'Y' lead, it might need a little playing around with to get set-up correct and make them absolutely parallel with each other. I'm sure a few others will join in and give other options, maybe 17-09 as he has Phil Locke's old 17-21, now completely stripped and refurbished, whatever that has it works very well [I've used it and seen it on many occasions], but I think it is two servos pushing / pulling through two carbon rods to each rudder - no bending in the joining of servo to rudder under pressure, which at the heavy speed of these 'beasts' could happen. Like your choice of Futaba though!
Kim

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2016, 09:11:35 pm »

Thanks Kim

A stronger servo does make sense. lost count of the number of servos I destroyed in RC cars when younger using them as steering servos. The rudders will get a hard time in the water and I think I'd like to control them both from one servo so I will look for a higher torque one with metal gears. Last thing you need in the middle of the lake is a failed rudder!

Bit more progress has been made, Rudder tubes have been marked out and drilled, Prop shafts have been marked but not yet drilled and tonight I've drilled the bow thruster tube holes. Bit nervous taking drills to the hull moulding but I measured a lot more than once and think it looks good now.
Made a stand as well. Yes I know, it's made of foam. It's a temporary stand as I have something grander in the pipeline but need a friend to get time on a CNC router to cut the parts out. It will happen, just not sure when yet.

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

Flundle (Speedline Models)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2016, 11:18:51 pm »

You're doing a grand job, love to see a complete step by step build so keep it up.

Delboy1958

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2016, 07:43:38 am »

Hi Craig
That's looking good coming along  :-))

Derek

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2016, 04:48:49 pm »

Decided to reduce the length of the boss on the propellers as they seemed a bit excessive so took them over to the workshop on Saturday and turned them down to the base of the prop blades.

Did this both sides and off course on both props.

I then extended the thread slightly on the prop shafts and fitted a KayLock nut which I thought looks more authentic than a big nylock nut.

Then decided to put the A-frames in the 4-jaw chuck and add a small taper to the front of the bush as the real things seems to have this feature.

Nice to use the lathe again, doesn't get used everyday but very useful when it's needed

Craig.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2016, 05:51:35 pm »

Craig,
That's some serious lathe! Absolutely dwarfs my little chap [but it does for me]. Nice photos too - very helpful to see the 'other side' of someone's build. So nice to see a modeller wanting to 'get it right' - where it's most applicable [and sometimes not seen - under the water!]. Look forward to hopefully meeting you at Brighton Model World this weekend - we are stand 141 [LBES].
One last little point you might be able to help me with - you've cracked something I've wanted to do in my build presentation - how do you put those photo captions exactly where they are most helpful, with the correct photo. I've looked and obviously missed it. Thought I might start a thread of my 1/12th Speedline Trent Class build when I get back from Brighton and catch it up to date, over a number of weeks - might help someone else and also make me crack on a bit further with the build.
Kim

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2016, 04:13:21 pm »

Hi Kim

Lathe is a Myford I acquired a few years ago now for the very low price of £200. A friend took it in part payment for a job apparently, didn't really know much about it, it was all in bits and after a year stacked in his shed wanted rid of it. I stripped it down, cleaned everything, repainted it all and re-assembled it. Only bits missing were the drive belts which I would have changed anyway and it came with lots of accessories like the 4-jaw chuck and various drill chucks. £200 very well spent!

As for the pictures I use a web page called photobucket. If you click on one of my images above it should take you there.
You simply create an account, make an album called "Severn build" then upload the images to that album. You can then view the image in Photobucket and on the right side of the image is four boxes and the bottom one is labelled "IMG" If you click on the IMG box it says copied and then you come back to this site, right click in your message reply where you want the image and select paste.
A long string of funny looking text appears but when you submit the reply the text turns into a link showing the image.

Only downside to Photobucket is the odd advert that pops up but try to ignore that and it's a very useful site.

Plan to come to Brighton on Saturday I think so will come and seek out the lifeboats.  :-))

Craig.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2016, 08:59:44 pm »

Been working on the new step positions recently.
Used some dense pink foam, Think it's insulation material but glued some plasticard to the surface with superglue then cut them out to the right dimensions and epoxied them in place over the original steps. All will be skimmed with filler and smoothed off soon.

Craig.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2016, 09:03:19 pm »

Nice big box of parts arrived from Hong Kong yesterday too.
Turnigy 5550 400Kv motors
Turnigy 120A water cooled speed controllers
Turnigy 5000Mah 4s batteries.

Hopefully that will get the boat moving sometime.

Craig.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2016, 09:22:58 pm »

And finally...
Been working on the propshafts and A-frames. I have decided to do things a bit differently and keep the propshaft outer tubes inside the boat out of sight.
Normally I guess you would expose part of the outer shaft under the hull and glue it in place but seeing images of the real boat it seems they don't do the same so I am going to use a short length of close fitting brass tube glued into the hull and then glue the supplied outer shafts further up the shaft on the inside. There will then be a fibreglassed cover between the bottom end of the outer shaft and the bottom of the hull to seal it up again.
Basically it's the same as normal but the outer shaft will not be visible from the outside. Unfortunately this makes the propshaft inner shafts about 25mm too short so I have some 4mm diameter stainless and will simply cut a new thread on the end to make longer versions. I could equally reduce the length of the outer shafts but making new inner shafts is the easier option.

Hope that makes sense, if not, wait for the finalised images.  :}

Oh, Some of you may notice a filled hole under the shafts. The side view of the docking plan seems to differ from the side view of the GA drawings and if you use the docking plan dimensions the shafts look to be too much of an angle hence why I filled them and moved them up a bit to comply with the GA drawing.

Craig.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2016, 12:11:48 am »

Craig,
It was good to meet you last weekend at the Brighton Model World, now some of us can put a face to this great build. Always good to get a package of 'goodies' through the letterbox. You seem to be getting on apace with the build and passing on some useful tips already.
I'll send an email with the information requested last week.
Keep up the good work started here.
Kim

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2016, 08:06:50 pm »

Quick update

Got the propshaft ports all sorted where they come through the hull. Decided to sand and fill the brass tubes so they are all completely smooth and the shafts are now inside the boat but sealed off course with glass mat. I think they look pretty authentic and seem to run smoothly. Will find out one day if it causes any more problems I guess. Added oil tubes to the shafts as well. Not sure they are needed but can't do any harm I thought. The inner shafts are too long at the minute, they will be trimmed to length soon and threaded ready for the couplings.
Made a plywood support for the shaft ends inside the hull too which was all epoxied in place.

The red smudge inside is fibreglass resin from a car repair kit but I have since bought some clear resin and woven mat from Easy Composites Ltd and it's so much nicer to use! I got the slower curing resin too so I have a good 45 minutes or so to get it right before it starts to cure.

Attached the resin mouldings on the transom for the trim tabs to attach too. These need filing and the shape needs changing slightly in the process. Will mark out the exhaust ports soon.

Finally I've been working on the bulge that is forward of the bow thruster ports. I think I have the shape about right and decided to build it up in a number of layers of plasticard. This will next be skimmed with filler and sanded smooth then the bow thruster can be glued in place and everything blended into each other.

That will be about it for a while as I'm off to North Devon on holiday Monday for a week. Aim to check out the Ilfracombe and Appledore lifeboat while I'm there.

Craig.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2016, 08:18:22 pm »

Last thing is to list some suppliers and the great service I've had so far.

Hobby King supplied the motors, batteries and speed controllers and this weekend I have had them all linked together and running. As my first experience of brushless motors I have to say I'm impressed. Very smooth, quiet and with great control. Look forward to seeing what they can do on the water. They were ordered from the international (Hong Kong) warehouse as only they had them in stock but they were delivered within a week and although I had to pay import duty they are still very good price.

I ordered some powerflex couplings from Model Boat Bits and they arrived a day later, Great service and very nice couplings.

Easy Composites Ltd supplied me some fibreglass mat and resin for a very reasonable price and in smaller quantities ideal for us modelers. That arrived a couple of days later too and well packed to protect the resin in there.

Last but not least I ordered a speed controller for the bow thruster from Mtroniks and that arrived a couple of days later. Haven't tried it out yet as I haven't decided what battery to use but sure it will be good.

Craig

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2016, 07:58:57 pm »

Right, Another update.
Not much done recently as I've been away for a week on holiday but I have now fitted the motors and got them spinning. Seems pretty smooth running seeing as I haven't yet applied any grease to the shaft bearings and it's out the water so think they will be okay when completed.
Also got the bow thruster in the hull and fibreglassed that in place allowing me to work on sculpturing the bulges in front of the bow thruster ports.
Joined the Lifeboat Enthusiasts society too and received a couple of very interesting magazines in the post.

Craig.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2016, 08:08:11 pm »

Try to visit the odd lifeboat station when on holiday and always look to see if they have a Robbie bear with the station name on the jumper. Not all stations have them though so it's a nice surprise when you do find one.  :-)

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2016, 10:17:44 am »

Welcome aboard the LBES Craig!
 17-09

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2016, 09:11:43 am »

Thanks Alan, good to be part of the crew.  :-)

Craig.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2016, 09:32:51 pm »

Made a start soldering some of the trim tab transom brackets tonight.
Was a bit worried to start with as the sheet looks like stainless steel but it seems to solder just fine so not sure what it is really?

Have to wonder why the square hole in the large plate isn't cut for me as the triangular boxes have to fit behind them and there is no holes in the pivot bracket. Out with the drill and file I guess.

Craig.

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too late for a happy childhood
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2016, 05:04:06 pm »

Hi Craig
I asked Adrian at Speedline because I was worried about soldering stainless steel and he informed me it is nickel siver.
I think you will find that you are 2 little bits short for two of the actuator mounts. I had to cut them out of the edge of the etched sheet.
I managed to mill the square holes out
Les

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2016, 08:35:56 pm »

Bit more of an update.

Have now marked out the transom. Found that the shape of the hull is slightly wrong by measuring down from the deck to the middle of the rubber mouldings. I found the rubber mouldings are about 12mm too low so I decided to compromise and split the error and base my exhaust pipes, trim tab rams etc about this compromise centre line. Hopefully it will look about right when all the rubber strips, coloured stripes etc. are in place.

Spent the best part of today soldering the outer trim tab ram mounts. Complicated little assemblies to say the least! I had to cut the big hole in the plate for the angled pipe well to sit in. I did this by chain drilling and filing the shape. Was pretty quick to do in the end. Bending the brass rod was made easier by annealing it first then rolling it around a suitable size drill. I think they look okay and I added the extra little bracket that holds a push rod of some sort on the real boat.

And here they are taped in place on the hull.

Next up will be the centre trim tab ram mounts but these are made different to the outer ones in that the holes for the hoops are not pre-marked. Not sure why really, would be easier if they were I think.

Craig.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2016, 10:50:53 pm »

Craig.......they might be complicated little assemblies in those outer trim tab ram mounts ...but you have excellent brass fabrication & soldering skills :-))....we saw a pair of similar construction in another thread here on MBM last week......I think you Guys must have been to the same school  O0.....

Carry on & keep the images coming............. Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2016, 11:48:03 pm »

Craig,
Everything seems to be going well with your build, and I am sure you are inspiring a few others to either build one or else get back to a project that has 'stalled' or is languishing in either a workshop, shed, backroom or loft! Keep up the good work and your excellent photos and the written explanations to keep us all interested.
Trust you are eating your Weetabix and going down the gym in early preparation for the 'Big Lift' into the pond or lake soon.
Kim

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2016, 08:03:58 pm »

Thanks Kim
I'll keep up the log as the build progresses.  :-))
Keeping my eye on the prices of forklift trucks for the launching day!

Bit more has happened recently mainly on the transom fittings again. Trim tabs have been made and I've got the tubes for the hinges all ready to solder on but waiting some 1mm diameter stainless rods to arrive so I can line them all up before sticking them in place. The hull mounted hinges are all done as well.

I've also made the one pipe fitting that apparently was an engine breather when first built and is now a drain port for a deck hatch. (thanks 17-09) This was made from 1/4" tube cut at 45 degrees and soldered together again.

Haven't got a picture but I made some anchor plates with copper sheet and brass nuts soldered together for the motor mounts. The way I made the motors meant I had to get M3 washers and nuts into place with tweezers and then turn the Allen key to tighten the screws up. The anchor plate are so much easier to drop into place and just fit the screws. Hopefully the motors won't be coming out too often but at least it will be easy if needed.

Craig.

Captain fizz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2016, 09:50:59 am »

Excellent fabrication skills Craig :-))

Delboy1958

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2016, 07:23:15 am »

Hi Craig
Looking good nice soldering on the parts.
See you next Thursday for some block fitting :-))

Derek

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.