Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Craigs Severn in the shipyard  (Read 30488 times)

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
Re: Craigs Severn in the shipyard
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2020, 10:35:09 am »

Thanks Alan and Kim, Glad to see you are both still here as well.

I did buy the CD from Kim a few years ago and have them all on the PC here. There is some very useful photos including the underside of one as it is being lifted back onto the boat.
I did manage to get to Newhaven and Paul showed me around the boat then left me with it to explore and photograph what I wanted. The Y-boat was off course covered up at the time but was a great opportunity to see the boat. Unfortunately 17-21 was in the Isle of Wight I think having its engine mountings addressed I seem to recall so there was a standby boat, 17-38 there but Paul did say, they are the same...  :D

And what better way to get me back in the mood for building than opening the mail box this morning and seeing a magazine from the LBES sitting there.

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

Delboy1958

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2020, 11:39:56 am »

Hi Craig
Nice to see you back on the Severn.

Take care mate ..

Regards

Derek

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too late for a happy childhood
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2020, 04:55:19 pm »

Hi CraigIt was nice to get a notification saying there are new posts on your thread. I managed to get my Severn into sailing condition although I still haven't got around to doing some of the last details that should be done. In order to get to "finish" it I decided not to be a totally obsessive rivet counter as I know I don't have the patience for that. That said I am really pleased with how it turned out and I get complements from the general public when they see it. ( More knowledgeable might spot deficiencies)The Inflatable is one of the things I didn't get to.
Heres a link to me sailing at Blaenavon's Keepers Pond.https://youtu.be/RbeDKtYvw1E
Good to know you are under way againRegardsLes

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2020, 03:37:41 pm »

Hi Les, good to hear from you again.

Your Severn looks great on the water, You do seem to loose the sense of scale though once it's away from the shore, don't realise how big it really is! How do you find launching it and have you an idea how much it weighs?

Made some progress with the Y-boat. I was a bit disappointed in the kit to start with, thought it was very basic and not that well made but once you get into and start cutting bits out, it does come together very well. Deciding where to cut the vac-form pieces is the main hurdle as the instructions leave a lot to the imagination but things do become clear as you move on.

I wasn't too sure of my ability to make the plastic transom look like plywood though so I found some 0.4mm wood veneer in the stock cupboard so cut out 5 rectangles with the grain alternating, painted them in PVA glue and stuck them together. Placed in a plastic bag and squashed in the vice on my milling machine for a few days made sure they were compressed and flat. Very happy with the look of it and the edge grain looks just like miniature plywood.

I decided to have a go at 3D printing the outboard however as the vac forms needed a lot adding to get it to look like a 15 horse Mariner. Spent a few hours on the CAD system and run it through the printer today. Needs some filling, coat of high build primer and lots of sanding but pretty happy with it really. Even printed the tiller for it.

Craig.

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2020, 06:46:55 pm »

Craig,
 Great idea that plywood..top marks
Regards     17-09 Alan.....

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2020, 01:41:37 pm »

Little bit more progress with the Y-boat...

Engine nearly finished and had to pop to work today so printed some new decals for the Y-boat I'm building rather than the older Y-199 markings. Also managed to make a tiny Mariner logo for the front of the engine.  :D

Craig.

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2020, 02:58:42 pm »

Hi Craig,
 Those decals look really nice, are they vinyl or waterslide? great job, the outboard is looking very neat, keep it up.
I guess you are aware that the boat number is on the underside as well!
 Regards   17-09  Alan....

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2020, 04:08:42 pm »

Hi Alan

Fortunately I have a photo of the Newhaven boat being lifted back onto the Severn which shows the number and RNLI on the underside of the boat. An easy one to miss that. They will be the big decals on my sheet.

They are water slide decals printed onto clear decal paper with a laser printer so you don't have to mess around sealing them before showing them water. Fortunately someone at work has a nice colour Cannon laser printer that you can slow down for glossy photo paper so I treat the decal paper as that.
My other hobby is cars and I have a 1967 Land Rover and I wanted to recreate the under bonnet markings on that hence why I pursued the water-slide transfer thing and have the technique sorted now. I do the designs in my CAD system and print them off.

Photo below is the Land Rover engine oil filler cap and rocker cover breather with clear printed decals applied onto hammered finish paint. The Hammerite might look a bit cheesy but that was the original finish on the items from AC, air cleaner included in 1967.

Craig.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2020, 10:56:56 am »

Few years ago now when I was building the hull of the main boat I drew a stand in the CAD system and got some prices to get it CNC routed from a couple of local companies. I was surprised somewhat by the price, nearly half what the Severn kit cost me so I shelved the idea and cut one out of high density foam as a cheap alternative.

I got talking to a chap from Aberystwyth university not so long ago and he was telling me about the workshop facilities he has there and mentioned a CNC router that had a broken drive motor, I jokingly said if you get it repaired and want a test piece, I have just the thing....

Well, longer story short, he did and I ended up with my profiles cut from 12mm plywood. When I got them I was a bit disappointed with the edge finish, quite a few splinters and not the greatest quality plywood but after some sanding, filing the corners square and even more sanding it came out pretty good.
It all slots together and I only used PVA glue to hold it in place with a couple of coats of clear polyurethane floor varnish to seal it.

Only a small job but another small step in the right direction.  :embarrassed:

Craig.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2020, 11:38:28 am »

Craig,
That is a really nice looking and strong frame. I should imagine you are well pleased. The way you have finished it off looks very neat [as usual]. It's strange the way that ideas, friends, colleagues and acquaintances can bring things to fruition - 'don't ask, don't get'. Thanks for sharing, I think a few folk will copy that superb design.
Cheers,
Kim  :-))

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2020, 11:58:58 am »

Cheers Kim

I do have the profiles on file so if anyone wanted them I could probably save them to a PDF, print them out and transfer them to timber for jig sawing. Printing them on a home A4 printer would be the problem, really need a bigger printer or print them in various sections and stick them together?

I'll look into it if anyone asks for the plans.

Craig.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2020, 12:40:46 pm »

Another thing I have wanted to do for years is make the wheelhouse moulding look a bit less like a moulding and more like a boat! Using my plans blown up to 1/12th scale I marked on the widow positions, checked the sizes against the window frames in the kit and using a thin grinding wheel in a Dremel, roughed out the window apertures. A drum sander in the same Dremel then cleaned the edges up nicely.

Also took all the back out so I can build the rear door area and get the flying bridge floor into place.

Spent a couple of hours looking at the various Vac-formings and laser cut plastic sheets trying to identify what things are. Did anyone get a guide with their kit of what goes where like in the Speedline Tamar kit? Some bits are obvious but many are not....
All I got was a packing list and some very brief instructions that don't really detail anything.

Craig.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2020, 02:26:35 pm »

Craig,
I'm sure 17-21 and 17-09 will come to your aid on all things Severn!! %)  They've not much else to do in these 'lock-down' days.........................

Kim

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2020, 01:50:55 pm »

Attached is a PDF of my boat stand.
It is an A0 sized drawing but if press print then select poster, it should allow you to print it on A4 paper with a slight overlap, takes 18 sheets though. Just make sure you print at 100% and I would be tempted to cut them out and offer them up to the boat hull before cutting out the timber versions just to make sure you are happy with them.

If anyone wants the 3D print files of the Mariner outboard, I can post them too.

Craig.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2020, 10:48:02 am »

Have spent quite a few hours now trying to work out what all those laser cut, Vac form and resin shapes are, Not sure if it was normal in these kits but nothing of mine was labelled and no paper plan in the instructions either?

I have done pretty well though and identified 98% of the parts I would say. I have been taking them out the sheets and bagging them up in assemblies so I have all I need for that stage in that bag. All the mast box bits are now together for example as they were spread out over 3 different sheets of plastic.

The only bits I can't identify are in the 2 photos below. A few resin bits and a few more laser cut parts. If anyone has an idea what they are please let me know and I'll bag and tag them.

I seem to be missing one of the valves from the side of the wheelhouse, think I need three of them, only have two although I got 5 laser cut hand wheels? I got two sets of Y-boat crane hydraulic rams however.

Fortunately the etched brass fittings are all labelled so easier to identify.

Craig.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2020, 11:37:46 am »

Hi Craig,
Not too 'up' on the Severn bits, but:
  • the four clear semi-circular pieces in the middle photo could be the control stick units for the throttles...when two are fixed together with a lever in between
  • the four cones in the bottom photo could be the bases for the two main aerials that are either side of the fly bridge.....they would be on top of the photo etched bases that are triangular in shape, when bent....or.....
  • they might be the bases for the 'Y' class, but I think they are on the vac formed sheets....
  • the other four items on their sprues in the same photo could be the 'reduction' joints between the bottom and top od the same aerials that go into the cones mentioned above.
I stand to be corrected, and no doubt will be, but 17-21 and 17-09 will know best.

Do like the picture near the bike, the Cobra car [my favourite...with a Thrush exhaust system!!].....is it an AC?

Cheers,

Kim

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2020, 12:45:33 pm »

Thanks Kim, All good suggestions.

I think I have found the bases for the aerials in the vac forms.
I received a copy of the DVD from Les that was meant to be in my kit but was missing and there is a bunch of photos on there from the kit build in Model Boats magazine built by Terry Small. He has large tapered bases at the base of the main aerials which are vac forms but they don't match the aerials on the current Newhaven boat so, will build those myself.

The throttles was a good suggestion and looking at the photo again from the Model Boats mag build that is where they are used.

Looking at the photos again I think the 4 resin cones may be spotlights, one mounted on each MOB crane and two on the front of the wheelhouse.

I have found the Y-boat mounting pieces, as you say, vac forms again.

Thanks

Craig.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2020, 12:54:31 pm »

The Cobra, yes, originally an AC car built in Thames Ditton that was shipped to America where they were fitted with 289 Ford engines and later on, the 427 V8 engine.

Under the picture on the wall is something covered up with a white sheet....

I always liked the Cobra too but realised I'd never get an original one so looked into the kit market and ended up with a Dax car. Built it all from the chassis up over three years and put a 5.8L (355CuIn) V8 in it through a five speed manual gearbox. No air bags, no driving aids, no ABS, no traction control, just 400bhp to the rear wheels. It is good fun.  %%

Craig.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2020, 03:50:12 pm »

Wow Craig  :o ,
Am I pleased I mentioned that......what a superb looking vehicle and very much like the 'real' thing.......enough said. Would love to see and hear that one day.
Now I am actually envious, so will have to go and kneel by my bed and ask for forgiveness......or not! :((
Thanks for sharing that, I will put it in a Folder of its own and share with Arno [Swiftdoc], we both like our cars.
Cheers,  :-))
Kim

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2020, 04:03:32 pm »

Hi Craig,
 The four cone shapes are, I believe the spotlights as you say, one each for the recovery "A" frames and two for the wheelhouse roof, the lenses are in the photo. The aerial bases for the main Comrod aerials have indeed changed, they are now a simple disc with a spigot that holds the aerial. these are best turned from aluminium to give them strength, the aerials are long and need good support.
The throttles are also different from those in the kit, they were changed when the boats were re-engined.
A lot of the parts I remade in brass for added strength, resin has it's place but not for some structural parts.
Phil 17-21, has built one Severn and is now building another so will be in a better position to identify those parts.
Regards   Alan 17-09

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2020, 12:07:41 pm »

Thanks for your help Alan

I have bagged the 4 cones and marked them as Spotlights.

I think that was the reason I didn't spot the half round shapes as being the throttle lever base. The photos I am mainly using for reference was a bunch I took at Newhaven of the relief boat, 17-38 while their 17-21 was away having work done on the engine mounts I believe. The boat I photographed has the later style throttles which as you say, were fitted when the engines were changed from the Caterpillar to the MTU motors.
Looking at the very useful virtual tour the RNLI did recently of the Severn at Poole, that one has the Cat engines still and the kit style throttles.

I have also bagged the other few parts as "miscellaneous" If I find a use for them along the way I can use them.

I was looking out for something round in the kit to make the salvage pump locker from on the rear deck but didn't find it and no vac form to make the recess at the front of the wheelhouse for the valve like thing next to the escape hatch.
Seems the kit was very developed in some areas but missed out other bits completely. All adds to the fun though, if I wanted a straight forward build I'd have bought the Airfix kit or a ready to run model.  %%

Am I correct in thinking Speedline models are now closed and these kits are no longer available?

Craig.

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2020, 12:47:34 pm »

Hello Craig,
 Yes that virtual tour is very useful.
I made the salvage pump box from a piece of plumbing pipe that was the correct diameter, it's scratch built which is really how most of the parts are on my Severn, I found it easier to go on the boat, photograph and measure a feature then return home and make it. I am so lucky to have the boat fifteen minutes away and a crew who are very helpful. I have so many photos which I can send you if required but I am having difficulty reducing the size to allow posting on MBM.
Let me know if you need anything and I will help if I can.
 Regards   Alan 17-09

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2020, 11:50:06 am »

Thanks again Alan

I will try to contact Newhaven station again and see if I can arrange another visit to get some more photos of their boat. I'm wary that one day it will disappear for the Severn life extension program refit and come back a completely different looking vessel!
Unfortunately the boat isn't as close to me as you are to the Dover boat so I will be badgering you for dimensions and photographs no doubt in the future.  :}  I'll speak to you via a PM about the photos you have as they would be useful to me I'm sure.

I have stopped work on the Y-boat over the last few days as the weather was so nice outside it seemed a good opportunity to get the hull out and apply lots of filler then turn it all back into dust blending it all in. Bilge keels and bow thruster shapes are pretty much there now and the transom is filled and ready to accept the fittings after paint.

I also neatened up the cutout on the deck and reinforced the edges with some strip timber. Also managed to carry on with the deck step repositioning and with some more filling and sanding, I will be happy with the shape and location of those.
Modified the shape of the lumps that stand proud of the deck that the boxes sit over behind the main cabin. The boxes have holes under them with grills and on the real boat you can see under the boxes but the lumps on the deck would block the grills so cut them away too.

Craig.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2020, 04:15:32 pm »

Bit more progress.

Been drilling and tapping the fibreglass transom for the M1 bolts to hold all the fittings in place, 150 of them so far and haven't done the trim tabs yet! I will add nuts to the inside on final assembly but off course this will all be coming apart again to paint the hull.

The Y-boat has been made orange too. Used VW Orange which is too dark for the whole boat but seemed a pretty close match to the rubber material on the Y-boat. Painting all the black bits now then onto the rope handles and carving some oars.

Craig.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2020, 04:44:01 pm »

Well, been silent for a while but not sitting idle, I have finished the Y-boat and have to say it was a really fun little build.  O0

I used a load of photos I took and a bunch of very useful photos of the Newhaven and Dover boat supplied by Kim (and Alan I believe) as reference for the build. Newhaven have a new boat now, Y-207 but I have modelled the previous boat, Y-231.

Newhaven seem to keep a few "optional extras" on board such as a fisherman's anchor and two plastic oars so they needed scratch building along with all the lifting gear. I figured I'd model it as the boat sits on the back of the Severn ready to be hooked up to the Hyab crane and lowered over the side, the block and tackle makes the final drop to the water.

The Speedline kit supplied fuel tank bag was way too small, not sure if I got a 1/16th scale version but it looked tiny in there so some hard insulation foam was carved into shape, dents added with course glass paper then painted, filled and sanded smooth.
The floor mat is made from rubber pond lining material and I purchased some new rope as the kit one looked the wrong colour to me. The lifting straps are packing ribbon available from ebay on 92 metre rolls for around £4. The tie down straps when the Y-boat finally meets the Severn will be the same ribbon.

I fired up my Chinese laser cutter again and made a clear stand and all the parts for the block and tackle. It cuts ABS sheet pretty well but does tend to melt it if you try anything too small. It marked the rubber pond liner mat and made a great smell but didn't get through it.

Anyway, a few photos and the next post will be the finished item.

Craig.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.