Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Craigs Severn in the shipyard  (Read 30490 times)

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
Re: Craigs Severn in the shipyard
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2020, 04:46:30 pm »

And the finished boat...

I've just ordered a clear display case from EMA model supplies to keep it in as I don't want it getting dusty and broken before I have finished the Severn where it will finally rest. Needed to replenish my Plasticweld supplies too, surprising how much you get through!

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2020, 09:14:03 pm »

Very nice Craig, brings back memories!
Alan....

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2020, 08:36:01 am »

Thanks Alan

Just got to carry on with the Severn itself now....

Craig.

Took a few more images under more natural light.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2020, 01:01:40 pm »

Lovely little boat, seems a shame not to have it RC though....... :-)

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2020, 02:11:38 pm »

Craig,
What a lovely set of photos that really do show a superb build quality and some good research by yourself. It has a plethora of detail that I have not seen on any other 'Y' class build - unique without a doubt  :-)) . Shows what can be done.
Keep up the work and enjoyment. So pleased that you have shared some of your wonderful ideas with other builders.
Hopefully we'll soon be able to meet.........but I'm not getting to expectant!!
Regards,
Kim

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2020, 01:47:14 pm »

Thanks all. Y-Boat is safely placed in a clear display case to keep the dust and the cat away from it.  :-))

Continuing the build of the bigger boat I thought I'd start somewhere simple and mark out the panels on the side of the wheel house and get the vac-form boxes fitted behind them. Simple enough right....

Who'd have thought the Severn's could vary so much in detail. Below is a picture of the same rear right panel on the wheelhouse, one from Newhaven boat (17-21) and one from the relief boat, 17-38. Note the completely different positions of all the bolt holes from one to the other and on the Newhaven boat the panels appear to be recessed slightly into the wheelhouse moulding, not sitting on the surface like they do on. 17-38 (and 17-09 come to that) The etched nickel silver kit parts are modelled on the 17-38 version, not the Newhaven version.

I have since found out that the Severn's were built by two different builders, could that explain the differences? I pity the guys doing the Severn life extension program in Poole as I suspect they will also encounter the differences on every boat!

When I visited the Newhaven boat a few years back and they had the relief boat, 17-38, Paul, the Coxswain at the time said "Doesn't matter, they are all the same!"....

Question now is do I re-make all my side panels to the Newhaven specifications or try to forget that I ever noticed the difference and hope no one else will notice as well...? As much as I like scratch building I didn't pay a load of cash for the kit only to use a few bits of it.
Off course I could always change the number of the boat and build 17-38....

Craig.

17-09

• Full Mayhemer
  • Do it nice or do it twice !
« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2020, 02:33:10 pm »

Hi Craig,
 First an apology, I found your reply to my resin bolt purchases in my spam folder, don't usually look in there. You now know where to get these if needed, I am in there quite often as they, Historex, are on my doorstep, I can pop in for you if you need anything.
 The side panels. Yes I did know that 17-21's were recessed and flush with the main cabin and have a lip around some larger apertures. I should have mentioned it to you before but it does mean that recessing the panels will involve a lot of modification work to the cabin structure, the recesses also have a radius moulded in as well so more remedial work there. Luckily, 17-09 have these panels fitted over the wheelhouse so it's just a case of bolting them to the main section. I am not sure how many Severns had the recess panels.
The other major change is that all the handrails/bolt on fittings are now anodised or the equivalent of, in a grey finish, easier to do as it looks like undercoat but does not look so attractive as in the orange finish....I guess that is only in my opinion.
Kind regards    Alan 17-09

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2020, 02:58:53 pm »

Thanks Alan

No problem on the bolts. I decided to place an online order for some of the resin bolts from Historex to see what they look like and order placed one day, delivered the next, very good service and the bolts are lovely so will order more as the need arises. Thanks for the offer to drop in though, appreciate that and will let you know if I think of anything.

The question of the side panels arose as I was looking at bending some brass rod and soldering it around those large apertures. This then turned into noticing the bolt spacing differences then on the closer images I have, noticing the recessed panels.
I have been trying to think of a way to make the recess in the wheel house and can only come up with cutting the entire side panel shape out, sanding the edges, making a 0.5mm thick plastic mould, clamping it back in place then laying up glass mat on the inside finally removing the 0.5mm mould after curing.

I could ignore it and build the kit as intended but trouble is I'd notice it every time I look at it now....  {-)  Going to have a play on the laser cutter later at making a new side panel with the correct bolt holes and see how that goes first. 0.5mm ABS sheet might do the job, not as strong as the nickel versions though.

I will be making my model with the grey railings, spray shield frame, hand rails and fittings. My other half said she prefers the orange / white versions too but I chose to do my model at a certain time, post MTU engine conversion so should do them grey really.

Craig.

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2020, 07:15:43 pm »

The severns were made in a couple of yards and were fitted out at differnet yards too, I am an electronic tech at Poole and although they have the same kit, junction boxes, connection boxes and the actual equipment are all mounted and wired different on the boats. Part of the SLEP program is to make them all the same, as close as possible to make them easier to maintain. The grey finish on the old boats is bare Aluminium, initially the boats had all metal work blasted aft of the windscreen at refit, the last two severns we have done the MTU upgrade to we even blasted the fan pods (where the crane mounts) and then had the out side faces wrapped in orange! Any questions about the boats give us a shout, we are used to the variation in Poole! 

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2020, 10:34:52 am »

Thanks again, Sounds like the Poole team have a real challenge making the Severn's all the same, love to see some photos of what an empty, completely stripped down Severn looks like.

Well, think I made my mind up last night that I set out to build the Newhaven boat and do it to the best of my ability so watch this space. Going to either cut up the fibreglass wheelhouse and see what I can do make the recesses in the side or draw up a completely new wheelhouse and cut it out from 2mm ABS sheet.
I've just spoken to my local laser cutter about re-cutting the side plates in nickel silver or copper 0.022" sheet.

Craig.

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2020, 01:20:19 pm »

New panels to the correct Newhaven specifications are drawn in the CAD system and seem to fit the cabin, good start...

Craig.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2020, 04:08:31 pm »

Just wonderful Craig........a real inspiration and another feather in the cap for the 'scratch builders' in the modelling world. However, you will know me well enough, that I don't care how you get to the end model, just so long as the process is enjoyed and you are satisfied with the end product. But this will make others think of another way to solve this and similar problems. I knew you would not let the 'small problem' beat you and that Newhaven [17-21] it will be!
Kindest regards,
Kim

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2020, 12:40:41 pm »

First stage of "Lets build Newhaven's boat even though it is different to all the rest" has started...  :police:

My local laser cutter has done a fantastic job of cutting new plates out of 0.5mm stainless steel. I was a bit dubious of using stainless as I may want to solder to them but looking about it seems you can soft solder stainless if you have the right flux so some on order now to see how it goes.
The smallest slots on these plates are 0.5mm but the laser did a very neat job cutting them out, no burning or melting of the material and they stayed very flat as well. Cost £60 in the end working from my supplied DXF drawings, not too bad I thought.

I took the opportunity to add the half moon shape drain holes to the lockers, the round drain holes to the smaller lockers and the hinge holes to the lift up flaps over the round, ball like things in the side of the cabin whatever they are? You will notice some of the lift up flaps have 3 bolt holes, some have 4, that is intentional and is how the Newhaven boat is.

I have found one more boat at least with the recessed panels and it is the one the RNLI used for the virtual tour, RNLB Osier 17-34. It has the recessed panels but with the panels and bolt spacing of the other boats, not the Newhaven one just to confuse matters further.... {:-{
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=ge2qSek3H7X&hr=1&hl=1

Craig.

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2020, 04:49:09 pm »

Craig,
They look just the very best job going! O0  Worth every penny. Looking forward to seeing them when they get fitted...... they will be so much stronger than the 'acetate ones' and just as good as the brass ones. They are at least accurate to your needs. Congrats.
Kim

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too late for a happy childhood
« Reply #114 on: October 07, 2020, 03:27:11 pm »

Hi Craig, Nice to see you are under way again and making an A Star job of it  too.
This is my first visit here for quite a long time. I couldn't wait to get the Severn sailing so I didn't finish some of the bits and pieces.  I have recently been tackling some of the details I omitted, hence my visit here.
The Severn is a lump to manage on your own for launching. I quickly realised that it would be easy to cause damage just lifting and carrying it.I made a cradle for the hull with full length side rails to protect it. I am able to lift the hull by these side rails and I'm not rubbing against the boat causing damage.
The boat is too tall to fit into my Kia Sorento assembled so the wheelhouse has to be transported separately.  I made a tray that the wheelhouse slots onto. This ensures that nothing slides into it during transport.
When it's in the garage the boat sits on the cradle assembled . I don't have a dedicated storage position for the boat so I need to move it around so to aid this I made  a wheeled carrier that the whole lot sits on and this enables me to easily move it around.

The wheeled carrier is based on an Aldi furniture moving dolly and stays home when I go sailing.Finally to further protect it from damage I added two detachable sides that clip onto the carrier side rails and a lid.
It sounds a lot but after spending a couple of years making it and then realising how easy it is to accidentally damage it it's worth the trouble.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.