Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My scratchbuilt 1/25th Severn Class Lifeboat  (Read 6841 times)

ElliotRNLI

• Shipmate
  • love RNLI lifeboats-especially the Severn!
My scratchbuilt 1/25th Severn Class Lifeboat
« on: January 02, 2016, 03:37:53 pm »

Hey everyone,

As this is my first post, I may aswell introduce myself. I'm 16 years old and currently live in Australia, however I was born in England. During many a trip to Weymouth as a young boy, I slowly became in love with the RNLI lifeboats, particularly the Severn class. I have been building plastic models for around 7 years now, and last year I decided I was ready for a challenge.... to scratchbuild a Severn!

My first idea was to build the boat in the popular scale of 1/12th, however after a demand from my mum , I was forced to 'scale my thoughts down'. After careful thought, I decided to build it at 1/25th scale which gave me a total length of 69cm. After looking through the plans that I purchased and referring to my little airfix Severn, it was time to start my build. I first started by drawing the keel and hull frames onto MDF. Once these were all cut out with a jigsaw, they were glued into place. I then glued balsa struts around the top sides to form the shape. Once the frame was complete, it was was time to start planking. I used strips of balsa, aswell as rectangular pieces. Once this was done, I began applying several coats of multipurpose filler so that I could get 'the shape'. Once it was sanded and I was happy with the shape, I started to apply the fibreglass cloth and resin. I gave it a couple of coats and then gave it a couple of days to fully harden.

The next part was to make the surface smooth as the fibreglass cloth isn't. I applied a couple of coats of car body filler, which as well as smoothing out the surface, but it also adds extra strength. After this was sanded smooth, it was time to apply the first coat of primer! After the primer came the underside red, then the blue. I masked off the hull and sprayed the white waterline, then the yellow and red trim line around the sides (unfortunately I got carried away with the painting and didn't manage to take any pics of this process at all!). once this was complete, the deck was spayed in the appropriate grey colour. The last thing I neede to do to the hull at this stage was to add the black rubber fendering around the edge, which I used window sealer. 

I've attatched some pics of the hull build, however not all of the steps I took pictures of.
L

ElliotRNLI

• Shipmate
Re: My scratchbuilt 1/25th Severn Class Lifeboat
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 04:00:35 pm »

The next part was to start the wheel house. This was built as a lif out section so that acess to the electrics is easy, and it also has a lift off top section so that the scale interior can be admired. I constructed it from marine ply, using balsa for reinforcements and front window section. The most difficult bit of the wheel house was cutting out the windows, as they aren't too big and it was hard to get a clean cut from the jigsaw.

Some parts of the interior were fitted at this time ie access hatch for survivors cabin/engine room and the main control/equipment desks. Also I made the front hatches on the outside from styrene, aswell as the ladders/steps up to the flybridge (or upper steering position as its sometimes called)

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 04:38:34 pm »

Well done Elliot, you did pick a challenging boat. There some very keen Lifeboat builders
On this forum as you have probably found out if you have looked at the Lifeboat section
Keep up the good work.

John

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 06:16:54 pm »

Nice work Elliot, Looks great.
Are you planning on adding motors or radio controlling it?

Keep up the good work

Craig.
Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 06:50:00 pm »

Well done young man...........you have shown an old one what can and should be done.

I'd better get cracking.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

ElliotRNLI

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 02:52:38 am »

Thanks guys for all the support! It's much appreciated as it makes the long hours of building it worthwhile when I know people appreciate it. I have had a good look around the lifeboat section John and I'm very impressed with some of the builds (particularly the speedline Severn as I've wanted that kit for a long time but it's just too expensive!)

To answer your question Craig, I do plan on adding motors to her when she's finished and seaworthy. I'd like to go the full length aswell ie adding lights, sound, working radar etc!

Thank you Jim, I'm definately not up to the standard of all you expert model builders yet, but I hope that my model turns out decent :-)

ElliotRNLI

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 12:28:46 pm »

Here is a small update of the build, with the trim tabs added, along with the rudders and propshafts fitted, sealed and painted.I have also built the frame that supports the radar, masts and other navigation equipment.  I will upload more pictures as I progress.

markjames68

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 10:10:51 pm »

Very well done young man, thats a first class peice of work

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 06:23:58 am »

This is superb....... It's fantastic to see someone your age doing something like this, and so good! I remember buying balsa kits and building them, but in those days there werent as many electronic distractions as you have today so that's an extra well done to you.

In your reply to Jim you say you may not be up to the standard of all you expert model builders, well I've got some good news for you, at just over 3 times your age I'm still learning and improving with every model I make and even though I say it myself I'm not doing so bad, so judging by the good standard of the build so far by the time you’re my age you have a very good chance of being one of the best modellers around.

A tip from me (not that you seem to need any) if something does go wrong don't let it get to you, leave it, think about it, put it right, carry on...... I can't wait to see more......... U2

It'll look better when it's finished!

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 07:24:36 am »

Hi,

Same age as me when i first started on a Waveney in 1979 (work it out!) , except for the hull which was glassfibre (pocket money over 6 months) and no great forums like this to watch everyones elses work.

Great stuff and happy modelling  :-))

Rich
Regards,

Rich

ElliotRNLI

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 03:28:54 am »

Thank you Mark, I've been working very hard on it so I'm glad you like it. :)

U2, your support is much appreciated! Ive been building models for a very long time, it's my passion. I've entered many of my plastic kits in WASMEX which is the Western Australian Scale Model Expo, and came away with a few prizes, so I am hoping to enter the Severn (when it's finished in many months time!) in the scratchbuilt section. Like you say, everyone no matter what age we are always learning and improving, and I imagine in 30 odd years I'll still be improving. My dad always says to leave it if anything goes wrong, and then come back when you're in the right frame of mind. I will put more updates in the next couple of days so keep you're eyes out!

Which Waveney kit was that, Rich? The Waveney is a beautiful boat and I hope to build the Metcalf kit in the near future! Like you say, these forums are great and the information you can gain on them is superb. Thanks for the support!

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 07:26:48 am »

I cant remember where I got the hull from or plans, but I based the model on 44-011 Augustine Courtald as it was based as a relief boat in Poole at the time. I then did a Tyne, then the LESRO atlantic 21 more recently did a Trent (should of kept it!) from Model Slipway and finally the Tamar. In between a few other ships now working a Sandown Class MCMV.

Keep up the good work and like most have said walk away and come back to it again later if things go wrong   <:(  and have a chat with yourself or us in here  :-))

Regards,

Rich

ElliotRNLI

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 11:52:52 am »

Hi all,

It's been a while since my last update on my scratch built Severn. I have been working on it a lot recently, and it's nearing completion (many more finer details to be added) but the main structure, paint, electronics and other fittings have been added. I decided to base the model on the Weymouth lifeboat (17-32 Ernest and Mabel) , however I have decided to name it Terrence Norman Harper in memory of my late grandfather, who took a keen interest in the building of my models. So far, I'm very pleased with how it's turning out, and I hope to have it finished sometime in the next couple of months.

Happy modelling,

Elliot

ElliotRNLI

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 03:58:03 pm »

Here are some pics....:)

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 04:46:46 pm »

And very nice it is too.

If it sails as well as it looks it will give you pleasure for many years.

Congratulations on a fine build.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 05:12:37 pm »

Looks like a fantastic build - look forward to some pics of her on the water.

Alex

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 05:22:03 pm »

Hi,

Great to see it come on so far, well done.

whats next?!

Regards,

Rich
Regards,

Rich

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 06:59:07 pm »

Great looking model, and well done for keeping at it..

John

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 08:38:51 pm »

I take my hat off to you Elliot as I was not scratch building at sixteen, a little detailing of kits etc but certainly nothing as advanced as your Severn :-))

It takes some natural talent and lots and lots of practice to get as good as the likes of Radio Joe, Stan T888 and Brian King, and you have made an excellent start in your model making hobby. You certainly show many organisational skills as regards reference and translation of shape from smaller models. I look forward to following this model to completion and expect we will see your next project in these pages in due course.

But the biggest tip I can give you is not to be burdened by spurious deadlines. By all means finish something for a show but never feel that you must finish a job by a certain date as this starts to get like a job and can damage enthusiasm.
Pond weed is your enemy

ElliotRNLI

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 03:45:16 am »

Thank you so much everyone for all of your encouraging support. I've learned so much since joining this forum that I wouldn't have learned anywhere else. It has helped me to overcome a few of the problems that have occurred during the build, but I was able to correct them and carry on.The next step in the build will be simply adding some of the smaller fittings (I've had great pleasure looking through all of the fittings at Cornwall Model Boats website!). I do plan on adding a couple more figures. As it is 1/25 scale, it is hard to find good figures. The two that I already have, they were just unpainted cap maquettes sailors that I painted in the RNLI uniform and added lifejacktes, helmet etc. I was quite pleased with the outcome.

I wish I was still living in the UK, as I would love to be able to come to all of the shows and sails etc. Hopefully when we visit family next year I'll be coming at a time when there is an event on, as I will definately come along  ok2

More to come so keep your eyes peeled!

Thanks,

Elliot

Captain fizz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 06:37:55 am »

Well done Elliot, a great effort.
Much sage advice has already been offered above but I shall just reiterate how good it is to see a youngster demonstrating such practical skill.
Keep at it fella! :-))

Simon

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 06:43:48 am »

superb, glad to see you stuck at it and such a fantastic result. You're a lucky lad to have such talent at 16. Keep up the good work and keep the photos coming.   U2
It'll look better when it's finished!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 23 queries.