Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice and guidance required,  (Read 4849 times)

Jon_C2015

• Full Mayhemer
  • Back to model boat building after many years.
Advice and guidance required,
« on: January 03, 2016, 02:36:30 pm »

Dear all,

I am newly back into Model boat building after having had a long hiatus of approximately 20 +years. I have spent the last year getting my workshop (“Man cave”! as the Minister of war and Finance calls it) ready, and I have recently purchased a Mount fleet model of the Ben Ain, in which to start my new adventures in Model Boat building.

During the time that I have been away ( Not in prison I might add, but working overseas) building methods, Glues, Batteries, electric Motors. Etc.. Have all changed, for the better.

I now seek your influential advice on the Ben Ain kit, as the instruction specify a 540 MFA 3:1 ratio motor in which to drive the model. Just a quick search on the internet hasn’t come up with anything significant.
The nearest is a 2.5:1 and or a 6:1 geared motor. Please advise on which would be the better of the two for the scale size.

Following on with the New Harry Potter style dark arts are: electronic speed controllers of a variable frequency type? Nimh Batteries, LiPo Batteries.. Not the old motorcycle batteries anymore?, No sireee bob!   Sound modulators, smoke generators, and other assorted electrickery..

So apologies if I come across as rather clueless, however at this moment in time I am!! , and therefore seeking your guidance as to achieving a setup, that will give a scale model the gentle look and feel of a classic vessel, rather than a Greyhound out of a trap aquaplane, across a boating pond from a period Coastal steamer. Very un-scale like me thinks..
Many thanks in advance

Jon

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Advice and guidance required,
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 03:16:45 pm »

Welcome Jon, have a look at the Springer thread, simple build to get your hand in again, any shape you like above the deck level, cheap and quick to build.  Just an idea :D
..well can you land on this?

inertia

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 03:20:42 pm »

Jon
To answer your question about the motor, the nearest you will get is the 2.5:1 MFA 500. This should be fine on 12v with a large prop (65-70mm). My Model Slipway Envoy had this set up and sailed along in a very stately way.
As regards the other "needs to know", have a read of this article which was written for blokes just like yourself http://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/but-i-don-t-understand-electronics/18054
DM

Jon_C2015

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 11:10:09 am »

Welcome Jon, have a look at the Springer thread, simple build to get your hand in again, any shape you like above the deck level, cheap and quick to build.  Just an idea :D

Hey there Arrow, many thanks for the ideas, they look like great kits to start off with again. I will certainly follow up on this link.

Many thanks again for your welcoming words.

Jon

Jon_C2015

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 11:13:42 am »

Jon
To answer your question about the motor, the nearest you will get is the 2.5:1 MFA 500. This should be fine on 12v with a large prop (65-70mm). My Model Slipway Envoy had this set up and sailed along in a very stately way.
As regards the other "needs to know", have a read of this article which was written for blokes just like yourself http://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/but-i-don-t-understand-electronics/18054
DM

Hey there Inertia,

Many thanks your help and assistance with my quest to achieve a lady of the lake, rather than something that will get an asbo on her maiden voyage. The link that you supplied is like a door being opened, and light filling the room.

Many thanks once again.
Jon

inertia

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 12:41:50 pm »

Hey there Inertia,

Many thanks your help and assistance with my quest to achieve a lady of the lake, rather than something that will get an asbo on her maiden voyage. The link that you supplied is like a door being opened, and light filling the room.

Many thanks once again.
Jon
OOOPS!  It was the 6:1 geared 500 I used. Hope you've not already committed yourself to the other one.

Jon_C2015

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 12:47:18 pm »

OOOPS!  It was the 6:1 geared 500 I used. Hope you've not already committed yourself to the other one.
No problems at all, I am just putting together a provisional shopping list of requirements needed, before buying what I need.

But thank you for steering me in the right direction.

regards

Jon

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 02:45:24 pm »

The 6:1 is usually used on 12 volts and the 2.5:1 on 6 volts giving nearly the same rpm of the shaft.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 03:16:33 pm »

Jon,
I would recommend a 12 volt Buhler motor, if you can still get them, they are high torque low speed running, working off a normal 12 volt motorcycle battery running through either an electronize or Mtroniks Viper Marine speed controller. I have used this setup, often in Mountfleet Models vessels, for many years without any problems occurring; this includes all day sailing on Windermere.

There is no need to use fancy motors with belt drives and gearboxes; keep it simple etc.

You should be able to obtain most of your needs from: http://www.componentshop.co.uk/ or if you can wait, you can speak to them yourself at the Ellesmere Port Spring show in March.

LB 

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 04:43:15 pm »

I favour direct drive with the right wind of motor, but I also get a bit nervous when a "Buhler" motor gets recommended.  Buhler are a big company and make a wide range of motors.  http://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/buhler-motor-gmbh-7076.html  - very nice motors, but lots of different ones, many in the same size and shape of can.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 07:53:21 pm »

A Buhler motor bought from the company or one of their stockist will probably cost an arm and a leg; however, the ones I'm thinking of could be obtained from various places mainly shows etc. There was a person, who will remain nameless, who sold them at one time. I bought a lot at the Dortmund show once for about £2.50 each and sold them for a bit more than that when back home.

But you are correct in saying that there are many types, you just have to keep your ears to the ground and your eyes open for bankruptcy sales etc.

LB

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 08:13:00 pm »

I've just had a look on ebay and there are some there that would fit the bill and are not to expensive (£15/£20) other just make your eyes water! The other make I was thinking off was Pittman. They area US company and their stuff is as good as Buhler but the prices appear to be a little less, here's one that I think would do the job:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pittman-8322-24VDC-Hobby-Project-Electic-Precision-Motor-8000-RPM-/271304036180?hash=item3f2afb0f54:g:0u0AAOxyfpJSZxG~

LB

Jon_C2015

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 02:56:01 pm »

The 6:1 is usually used on 12 volts and the 2.5:1 on 6 volts giving nearly the same rpm of the shaft.

Bob

Many thanks for the explanation Bob,

This now gives me a way forward knowing I have some flexibility in the choice of motors.

Everyone's comments have just been brilliant. I am really enjoying my time on here.

many thanks again.

Jon

Jon_C2015

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 03:03:05 pm »

Jon,
I would recommend a 12 volt Buhler motor, if you can still get them, they are high torque low speed running, working off a normal 12 volt motorcycle battery running through either an electronize or Mtroniks Viper Marine speed controller. I have used this setup, often in Mountfleet Models vessels, for many years without any problems occurring; this includes all day sailing on Windermere.

There is no need to use fancy motors with belt drives and gearboxes; keep it simple etc.

You should be able to obtain most of your needs from: http://www.componentshop.co.uk/ or if you can wait, you can speak to them yourself at the Ellesmere Port Spring show in March.

LB

LB, you're a star!

Many thanks for spending your time researching motors on my behalf.
I have had a look on the website links that you have sent, just brilliant!!. I have got so much more of a picture of where I need to be aiming at now.
So once again, thanks you very much for you time and effort researching this topic.

Regards

Jon

Jon_C2015

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 04:50:30 pm »

I favour direct drive with the right wind of motor, but I also get a bit nervous when a "Buhler" motor gets recommended.  Buhler are a big company and make a wide range of motors.  http://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/buhler-motor-gmbh-7076.html  - very nice motors, but lots of different ones, many in the same size and shape of can.

Malcolm,

Many thanks for the link to the manufacturer, heaps to choose from there.

Thanks so very much for taking the time to send the link.

Regards

Jon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.