Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air Brush Clean Up Help  (Read 2173 times)

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
Air Brush Clean Up Help
« on: January 04, 2016, 12:25:21 am »

Help,

I'm spending more time trying to clean my air brush than painting!

I just upgraded from my cheap beginners single action brush to a double action Paasch VL.

It seems I'm running way too much thinner/cleaner through the brush and I still have a mess.
 >>:-(
I belated figured out the hint to back blow the paint in the brush back into the cup (forgot to pull back on the trigger to open paint needle passage -- new to double action) but

1)  How do I get the siphon tube and jar lid clean?  Do I take off the paint jar bottom and just put a new jar with thinner  in it to clean the siphon tube insides and the jar lid?  What about the outside of siphon tube.  Do I fill the thinner jar really full and swish the heck out of it or do I wipe it down?  Do I push pipe cleaners into wherever I can?

2)  Should I buy a bunch of siphon jar lids -- one per frequent color?

3)  How dirty can the jar with thinner be?

I don't want to generate HAZMAT or spend a fortune on thinner (it should would nice to know what the generic solvent is but then how would the paint companies be able to gouge us?) but I seems like I have a lot of waste/

Thanks,

Ken/Landlocked

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Air Brush Clean Up Help
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 12:39:17 am »

What paints are you spraying?

I Flush mine through with whatever thinner I used for the paint and then clean in one of these:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Ultra-Sonic-Timer-Bath-Jewellery-Watch-Disc-Cleaning/361102385033

Filled with
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160826186868

Just strip it down and run for about 3-4 cycles

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Robotnik

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem, it's not too bad
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 02:38:36 am »

I flush my airbrushes through with car windscreen washer fluid.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 09:06:46 am »

Buy  roll of cheap workshop paper roll .wipe out the bottle and inside the lid ,then pull of tube and tear of a very small piece of paper and push it through the tube I then wash the lid in white spirit ,I use a cotton bud to wipe out the paint where the bottle pushes into ,this way you wipe off a lot of the paint. When the bottle is clean use what ever thinning liquid you use for the paint to first flush the gun , strip gun wipe clean wash nozzle parts ,build up gun and then put some thinners jar and spray on to paper or cloth by this time the spray should have no paint .
That's how I do mine no doubt  there will be others who say otherwise ,it works for me .
I bought a large bottle of white spirits from Dulux Center . I use two jam jars so after I wash my parts it all settles out and pour the cleaner off the sediment into the other jar .that way there is some spirit to use to and you need not wash the nozzles in new cleaner all the time . All paint I use is enamal .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 09:48:24 am »

I use cellulose thinners cost about ten pounds a gallon from car finishers suppliers cleans most paints lasts a long time ..Bill...

ma1308

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 12:45:37 pm »

I use this stuff, I had tried everything else and had the same problem as you I went to the model show in Telford picked up a bottle of this and I have to say it is the best I have used so far.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Medea-227ml-Airbrush-Cleaner-8oz-I-6500-08-/331378519304?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 11:26:42 pm »

Guys,

Thanks for all the hints.  Today's clean up went much faster.

Blowing the paint back into the jar (gently, still working on my finesse with the double action) cleaned a lot of paint out of the gun compared to before.

Wiped down the pickup tube and lid and swabbed the inside of the tube helped too.

Then switched to the thinner.

Much less waste all the way around (same amount on my fingers though %% [size=78%]).[/size]

I'll try to cross match some of these products on this side of the pond.

Thanks again,

Ken/Landlocked

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 22 queries.