Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contemplating a Precedent Perkasa ?  (Read 5081 times)

CliveJ

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Contemplating a Precedent Perkasa ?
« on: January 08, 2016, 04:42:52 pm »

Views please on this kit - I would like to build the wooden hull option (not sure which of the two sizes either) - this is with a view to a long build for me

I have not seen a kit and would like a steer on the quality before I buy please

Alternatively advice on an option of another kit or good plan for this or a similar craft

Thanks in advance Clive

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Contemplating a Precedent Perkasa ?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 10:31:32 pm »

Hello Clive,i thought these wooden Precedent Perkasa kits had ceased production,i may be wrong.If you type in 'Precedent Perkasa wood kit quality' you may get a steer on what others have experienced,the kits and tooling have been around a long time now and it sounds there have been a few problems.I have the 49" Prec.Perk but with the F/G hull,goes very well,but is a fair size for me to lug about.Hope his helps.Lakeside Bob.

g6swj

• Full Mayhemer
  • Short Wave Jammer! -.-
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 07:07:48 am »

Kits appear quite regularly on eBay.

Not sure if this helps http://www.alwayshobbies.com/model-boats/radio-control-model-boats-/precedent-k-d-perkasa-model-boat-kit

Hobbies shop is only 12 miles south of Norwich so in your area

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 09:45:47 am »

Hi Clive, I don't know if this is your first wooden boat build but you will have to seal the outside
With fiberglass mat or tissue or stocking or whatever then cover with a couple of coats of resin
It may be easier for you to start with a fiberglass hull.
The kit that I built X years ago as I remember the plywood was of poor quality and had to
Substitute some of it. But that may have been just my kit.
Good luck with whatever you decide to build help is always available on this forum.

John

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 09:46:04 am »

Anglia Models are  the now the main supplier /producer if you go for the 1/24 version  you can get all the fittings from Battlecraft
http://www.battlecrafts.co.uk/

http://www.angliamodelcentre.co.uk/

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 02:25:30 pm »

I've built two of these models, both 1:24 using the fibre glass hull versions. The superstructures need plenty of patience to complete accurately, however, the model is impressive on the water when completed. I would avoid the wooden hull unless you want the extra challenge involved. The Precedent models are very good value for the money especially at 1:24 scale.

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too late for a happy childhood
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 03:39:17 pm »

I built the 49 inch fibre glass hull model.
I am very pleased with the end result but I have to say I was not at all impressed with the kit. The plywood parts were cut by knife blade and the shapes were very poorly cut with some of the shapes only approximating what they were supposed to be.
I bought my kit a couple of years ago so it is quite possible that the tooling has been refurbished and would be better now.
I do think its a nice model and I am glad I made it. I put a single motor in it an Emax4020 and I have no complaints about the performance on 4 or 5 cell lipos
I posted a couple of videos on YouTube. If you want to see how it goes search YouTube for
Keepers28052015A
Les

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 12:11:27 am »

Different people have differing experiences / expectations if this kit. I've spent many years building wooden boats and I found this one easy. It's not a cut and assemble, but it is simple.
 If you like wood, go for it.
 Also, I have never and would never use resin on the exterior of a ply model. No need for it. Sand and paint several coats for a great finish. I'm old school, it works for me, others will dissagree.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.