Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electrical help with eskgarth.  (Read 3229 times)

Blaven03

• Full Mayhemer
Electrical help with eskgarth.
« on: January 08, 2016, 10:34:01 pm »

Hello all,
As all ways any help appreciated.

Starting eskgarth hull and going for 12v instead of 6v for wee bit more oomph. Few question regarding this.
Most servos tend to be 4.8-6v so what's is my solution to 12v.
Next question what is the stall current of a motor. Was looking at the mtroniks power 500 marine motor. Think it would do for the 55mm prop, if any1 has any better suggestions please say.
Thanks again also any advice on life span of 12v battery's.

Cheers

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Electrical help with eskgarth.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 11:20:30 pm »

Servos run off a Bec from the esc which is usually 4.8v or you just use a 4.8v pack to your receiver.

What sort of batteries do you mean? Sealed lead acid last a long time if you keep them look after. 55mm prop on a 500 feels big, but I'm more of a fast boat man so could be mistake . My advice go brushless, similar cost to a brushed setup now but a lot more bang for your buck (figuratively).

Blaven03

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 11:41:35 pm »

Hello,

When u say 4.8 v to reciver for servo. so does that mean the motor has seperate 12v motor then attached to reciver through esc. The motor I mention, do u believe it is too wee. Iv never had anything to do wiv brushless. Another total gray area for me

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 08:54:33 am »

If your Speed Controller (ESC) has a battery eliminator (BEC) that you use to power the receiver, then the receiver and servos will receive 4.8 volts from your 12 volt battery via the BEC. The motor is connected to the battery via the ESC and will receive 12 volts.
If you use a separate (4.8 volt) receiver battery, then the receiver and servos are powered from that, and the motor receives 12 volts from the drive battery via the ESC.
What ESC do you plan to use?

Hope this helps.

Barrie

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 09:52:31 am »

Helpful drawing here - http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6169.0.html
The life span of a 12 volt battery depends on the original quality, how well it is looked after regarding storage and charging, and what use it is put to.
The regularly quoted relationship between prop and a direct drive motor is that the prop diameter should be less than the motor can diameter and it should have fewer blades than the motor has poles.  Gearing allows a small motor to swing a big prop effectively.  Putting more volts to a given motor will increase its power output, unfortunately it also increases the heat generated by the motor, usually fatally for the motor.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

inertia

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 10:34:24 am »

The Eskgarth produced by Kingston Mouldings is single screw and 30" x 8.5". If I can assume that's the model you have then this would be a more suitable wiring diagram http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/Pondskater%20Orca%20Bait%20Boat.pd but substituting a 12v battery for the 6v one shown. The motor is a 5000RPM '775' http://www.componentshop.co.uk/775-dc-motor-5000rpm-with-mounting-bracket.html and the speed controller is an ACTion P80 http://www.componentshop.co.uk/p80-condor-20-2-autoset-computer-speed-controller.html. The receiver uses a separate battery pack for its own power because the speed controller does not have a BEC. These items can all be bought from Component Shop, along with the necessary battery, cables, switch, receiver battery, fuses and connectors.
DM

Blaven03

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 07:31:51 pm »

If your Speed Controller (ESC) has a battery eliminator (BEC) that you use to power the receiver, then the receiver and servos will receive 4.8 volts from your 12 volt battery via the BEC. The motor is connected to the battery via the ESC and will receive 12 volts.
If you use a separate (4.8 volt) receiver battery, then the receiver and servos are powered from that, and the motor receives 12 volts from the drive battery via the ESC.
What ESC do you plan to use?

Hope this helps.

I haven't decided on a ESC yet as thought should do the research first, if you have any recommendations for one I'm all ears. It is very new to me, very much on learning curve, thanks for help.

Regards
Barrie

Blaven03

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 07:36:42 pm »

Thanks all for your input and help, the wiring diagram is a gem. I was hoping for direct drive so no gearing, the prop will be a four blade prop so if you know of any motor that will put up wiv that that's what I will target. All very knew to me.

Regards

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 09:05:04 am »

Read reply #5, recommendation in there.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Blaven03

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 07:22:33 pm »

Yes thanks for the direction, think iv got it cracked.

Cheers all
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.