Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: SS.Moonlight, Restoration 1:24  (Read 8017 times)

Tiny69

• Full Mayhemer
    • Tiny's Modelling Site
Re: SS.Moonlight, Restoration 1:24
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2016, 06:51:45 pm »

Update 8: 21/02/2016

The first item to make was the replacement Liferaft container which had gone missing from the model.  First a 25mmOD brass tube was cut to a length of 30mm and then heated and pressed into some 2mm thick plastic sheet to form the two ends of the container. Then to form the moulded parts of the container 2.5mm half round plastic strip was glued in place.   The stand was then made from plastic sheet and square sections glued together.

Next a new rear ladder was made from brass, replacing the old broken plastic one.  The two sides were cut from some 5mm wide brass strip, marked with the positions of the steps and drilled.  Then I made a wooden jig to hold the sides and steps together whilst everything was soldered together.  The mounting brackets were soldered in place at the top and bottom.

On top of the wheelhouse I discovered that a binnacle had been added in some of the photo's I had found.  To start with a square 15 x 15mm of 2mm plastic sheet was cut with a second square 10 x 10mm of 1mm plastic cut and glued centrally on top to form the base.  Then a tube 5mm OD was cut 35mm long and glued on top of the base.  Using the lathe the top section was turned from 8mm OD brass bar and inserted into the top of the brass tube.  To finish off the brackets and metal balls were made and glued to the binnacle.

Behind the skylight an aerial is fitted which is made from some brass and copper tube sections slotted together with a solid brass bar slotted into the top.  These were soldered together and the two aerials soldered in place to form a cross mounted at 45 degrees.  Then the bracket for the third aerial was bent to shape and soldered in place.  The third aerial was made from 0.5mm OD brass rod cut to length, taped down onto a piece of wood, soldered together and then soldered onto the bracket.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.