Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MV Rhum as Arranmore Ferry  (Read 13492 times)

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: MV Rhum as Arranmore Ferry
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2016, 07:05:27 am »

G'day Mark,

I have ordered the plans for this model and was planning to do it in my preferred scale of 1:24 which I think will give it a decent lump of bulk and plenty of room for mechanicals without the worry of not enough space. At around 1m long it's not too big, and a mate was saying he might RC his 1:24 VW Kombi as cargo! I suppose if you can RC a 1:43 Scale truck, doing it in 1:24 would be much easier!

The more I look at the images posted of the Raasay, the more that appears to be incorrect on the model! The bow structure ( boxes ) either side of the ramp are much thinner than obviously what's on the plan, and I don't know why, but maybe for simplicity of build.

Don't get me wrong, as I'm not knocking the models, it's just that when you see the images of the actual vessel, there are a lot of differences, some of which you have already mentioned.  I think the hull needs that extra curve where the propshafts come through, and maybe even a bit more than as it appears with Raasay on the ramp. As BarrieW experienced, and I have with a motorflote I built years ago, going astern is impossible when the water is banging against a brick wall!

Ian.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2016, 07:50:23 am »

Ian

The plan was never intended to be an exact scale model. It was drawn from memory and photos I believe. If you are interested I can send you the original magazine article. It doesn't really help with the build.

Barrie

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2016, 08:10:06 am »

G'day Barrie,

Thanks for the offer, but I'll wait until the plans arrive before I gather too much more info.

Wouldn't have been a problem if the images hadn't appeared, as I was happy with, and impressed with the model you made and the start Mark had made, but after seeing the differences on the images of the Raasay and as the Arranmore Ferry, I'm not so sure now. Needs more curve than angles on the sides as well.

Ian.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2016, 10:26:51 am »

My friend has been building RAASAY and RHUM's sister ship EIGG very off and a little on between building his other Calmac ferry for some while now and used a hull picked up at a car boot sale which had been built from the same plans as yours.

It shows how he modified the hull with a false bottom and plenty of filler to achieve the shape of the hull as shown in a picture of Raasay on the slip way at Ardmaleish, on Bute.

http://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/t707-mv-eigg

I hope this both clarifies the shape of the real hull and what can be done.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

markrider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2016, 10:42:24 am »

Hi Ian
Yer I got the same problem I was happy with plans until I saw the photos but Bit late for me know.
All the back end is wrong as well. Shame but will work something out.
1:²⁴ will be a nice size look really good.

markrider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2016, 10:49:51 am »

Thanks for that Jim
I think I'm going to modify mine at the rear as well
That looks really good

Mark

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2016, 06:58:33 am »

Well, the plans turned up in 8 days to here from Cornwall, so can't complain about the postal system or the supplier.

On studying the plans and checking on lots of images on Google and those on here, there are a lot of differences! I was going to have the plan enlarged to 200%, but I don't think it's worth the cost.

So, maybe I wing it using basic dimensions and drawing a new hull from the images. I thought I read somewhere on one of the posts that the bow angle was incorrect, but tracing off a 90 degree side on image and offering that up to the drawing, it's pretty much spot on. The stern is another issue which is totally incorrect.

As I said in a previous post, the models that have been made off the plan are really nice and look the part, but it's when you start looking at the finer details before you start the build that the errors become more apparent.

Maybe I'll build another tug!

Ian

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2016, 07:17:31 am »

As I said in a previous post, the models that have been made off the plan are really nice and look the part, but it's when you start looking at the finer details before you start the build that the errors become more apparent.

Yes - I actually wish I had never sought out pictures of the original  O0 %% %%   To be fair to the designer, he never claimed it was a scale model.

Barrie

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2016, 09:01:37 am »

I suppose it boils down to, at the end of the day what you want out of your model,and if it is to please yourself that you want a rivet by rivet exact scale model then the best people to speak to would be Caledonian MacBrayne who had the ship built for them to obtain plans. They are based in Gourock, Scotland.

If it is to please others, then would small irregularities between ship and plans be discernible, as no one other than an ex pat brit living out in the Antipodes would even know what a CalMac ferry was, never mind know what they look like.

Just my two penneth, bearing in mind that as a none builder I really do not have any authority to comment on such matters.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

markrider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2016, 09:09:59 am »

I thought the same I started to build to plans then saw the photos then thought arr ok. I have modified some bits like the bit by the prop as Barrie had problems with his  but the rest I will leave as at end of the day it's how you want your model. Either 100% accurate or a model you have had fun building and using for me its the latter as this is only my 2nd scratch built model so yer in the future I will probably go down the more accurate route but for now I'm happy how it is.

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2016, 06:08:36 am »

G'day Mark,

You've been rather quiet of late?

I weakened, and as I has spent so much on getting the plans out from Cornwall, decided to have a go at this model, with some serious mods!
I had the plans up-sized to 1:24 and the two sheets now measure 2.4m x 850mm each, and as I don't have a bench that big, it's on the floor to work on them!

Haven't had much time to start anything the last few weeks with work commitments, but have pretty much cleared my orders, so hope to start in the next few days.
I plan to alter the hull shape to more like the images, and the "rise of floor" to the stern will be much like the images of Raasay on the slips, also with the Vee to the stern.
The dimensions will be mainly guesstimates, as the overall width on the plan is just under 12", whereas it should only be 10'5", being 74ft x 21ft wide as built.

Anyway, this will be a challenge, but I won't go to the trouble of trying to get the drawings from Calmac, as I spent too much on what I have, and it will have to do.

Somewhere on this forum I read that a lot of people don't like using packing case material, but I re-saw a lot of dumped timber and have no trouble with anything I have used in
35 odd years of modelmaking. It's also about re-cycling, and why waste good material just because it doesn't come at a high price from a timber merchant! And, don't get me started on Balsa!
Last little project, the Dredge Tender, was a crap plan as well, but in the end it turned out OK, and the timber I used in that was from a Miele Washing machine crate, and it worked quite well. I'll be using that in this new venture as well. The one timber I won't use is Radiata Pine, which is full of sap and very boney, but pretty much anything else is fair game!
Ian.

markrider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2016, 05:41:23 pm »

G'day Ian
 Yer I have been quite. Had issue with Internet and been real busy at work. But back on it now. Have done a bit. Have modified the hull a bit and some other bits. But spent most of the time trying to get the car ramp sorted and working nicely.
 Barrie sent me some cable he had left over which was nice of him. I can now move on and start making the wheel house etc and all the fiddly bits.
 The hull is varnished in marine varnish. So going to primer and paint soon.
 I will get some photos up very soon.

Be interesting to see your build Ian.
 1/24 is a nice size and I had wish I had more photos before I started the build but ha ho.

Mark

markrider

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2016, 10:56:39 pm »

so a long delay on updating this sorry,

so the boat is done am very pleased with the way it has turned for my very first scratch built model had a few problems along the way with the bow door but all good now
I have also added full lighting and also made the life boat movable ie swing out and go up and down,

For the bow door I just couldt get it to work right so in the end I made my own worm drive with limit switches it works great now.

any way here are the photos
some of you may have seem me on the water with it at chatham boat pond and bluewater chantry club

I get some better photos at the weekend

got another project starting soon ss Shieldhall this will be a long project and hopefully around about 1.6 meters in length

thanks very much

Mark

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2016, 06:42:03 am »

Its nice to see this finished Mark. The larger size gives more scope for working features. I still like my model, but rarely sail it because of the difficulties going astern. I made an Arduino controller to operate the ramp in sequence without needing the RC so I could use it at shows.

Barrie

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2016, 02:52:48 am »

G'day Mark,

Looks good and you should be real pleased with the result.

I never started mine, as I was so disappointed with the drawing I just couldn't bring myself to make a start. And I had the drawing enlarged as well!  Maybe one day!

Too many other projects to get in the way of it for now anyway!

Ian.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.