Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Great news. The Flying Scotsman is back!  (Read 7548 times)

The Wizard

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Great news. The Flying Scotsman is back!
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 10:02:45 am »

It was never officially a race, but they were on parallel tracks and there was much speculation which was the faster.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 11:45:06 pm »

My money would be on Scotsman, simply because of its much larger driving wheels - 6' 8" against 5' 9" for the C38.

Peter.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2016, 07:29:50 am »

Hi,Peter, I don't think that the relative speed of these two great engines matters anymore,just that they are still around for future generations to see,feel and smell,my hat goes off to all the people who keep these old ladies running and on track for us all to enjoy,by the way did anyone see a programme on tv about a little Indian narrow gauge railway that had a couple of old mountain steam engines that they had restored and kept running for tourists to ride on,I do believe that the engines where made in Birmingham in about 1905, just goes to show that love of steam it is not just an Angle-Saxon thing and is universal........Ray.   
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2016, 07:47:06 am »

Strange really, but when I was quite young my friends and I would regularly stand on the bridge at Clapham Junction train spotting with our I-Spy books.  Every time a train passed under the bridge we were enveloped in smoke and the exotic smells of oil coal smoke and live steam. Such trains were not just the norm then, but the only kind of trains around.  Whenever we went on a train journey it was always steam powered, including a memorable long journey down to Cornwall on the Cornish Riviera Express.
So many nowadays have had real Brunel engineering completely pass them by.  Even the late Rev. W Awdry did not think much of nasty diesel loco's.

We should support and encourage such restorations to recapture the glamour and excitement of the age of steam travel.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

boneash

• Full Mayhemer
  • In an actual war zone there are 2 types of ships,
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2016, 06:16:37 pm »

Ian Allen books surely.....
with all the engine numbers in, which you ticked off when you saw the relevant engine.

Winchester, Shawford and Southampton for me in those days !!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.