Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DERBY MODEL BOAT CLUB  (Read 3781 times)

andyram

• Full Mayhemer
  • Derby M.B.C. Celebrating 40 years afloat 1976-2016
DERBY MODEL BOAT CLUB
« on: January 15, 2016, 07:15:00 pm »

Derby Model Boat Club.
This friendly club celebrates its 40th year of model boating in Derby this year.A dedicated model boat club was started in 1976 by four people  who had been members of a multi discipline model club at Rolls Royce in Derby.One of those founder members,Mr Ian Howes is now President of the club.
Currently membership stands at around 28.We have a good range of electric powered models between us and all levels of ability are welcome.We sail various scale models of all types including Submarines.We are not allowed petrol or I.C vessels as we share the water with the wildlife.
We currently meet on a Wednesday morning at around 10am in Markeaton Park.Enter from Markeaton Lane car Park and we sail on the MUNDY POOL, a minutes walk from the car park.
We have a social evening on the second Tuesday of each month at The Joiners Arms,Quarndon ,Derby. A summer regatta day in July and a Venetian Evening in September.
More information is available at derbymodelboatclub.co.uk

Thanks  Andrew (Will)     

mrsgoggins

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: DERBY MODEL BOAT CLUB
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 08:32:55 pm »

The "40 year" bit makes me feel old as I was a member of the RRMBC in the early 70's. I recall us hosting a multi event on the Munday Pool which pulled in the crowds but mainly we sailed on the gravel pits at Swarkstone.  I wish your club continued success.

Keith
Chasing perfection but not running fast enough!

andyram

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 08:50:21 pm »

Thanks Keith,

Interested to hear about sailing at Swarkestone.I wasn't aware they had sailed there.I have been involvded in the club since 2000(the inks just about dry on my membership card now) and we sailed at both Alvaston Park and Markeaton.Derby MBC now only use Markeaton Mundy Pool as the City Council have done a terrific job of bringing the weed under control and we enjoy clear water sailing all year round.

It would be nice to see you if you still have an interest in boating.Maybe blow off the cobwebs,Off the boat,not you of course.

Regards,Andrew.

inertia

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 11:48:22 am »

Andrew
Very interesting, as Papplewick Cooling pond has been drained for repairs and Highfields Lake at Nottingham University is unuseable (we think the tram works have damaged the water supply and/or drainage). I've had a look at the map of Markeaton Park - is the Munday Pool the long rectangular one with the Mundy Play Centre at one end?
Dave M

andyram

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 10:31:20 pm »

Yes Dave, FLJ,Inertia,

Thats the one.You are welcome to join us on a Wednesday morning.10am.Be nice to see you.
PM me if you like.

Andy (the one they called Balders!)

inertia

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 11:34:42 pm »

Ah! I thought it maybe was you, Balders. At least I'll know who to look for as/when/if. Can I sail as a guest if I just turn up?
Dave M

andyram

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 11:01:26 am »

Yes Dave,

You will be very welcome as a a guest.The car park is on Markeaton Lane.Off Kedleston Road,close to Derby University.Parking charges are currently free to blue badge holders and £1.70 for two hours which is usually the amount of time we spend sailing.

Be nice to see you anytime.There will always be a few of us there come rain or shine.

Regards.Andy. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.