Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: navigation lights  (Read 7166 times)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
navigation lights
« on: January 15, 2016, 07:55:21 pm »

hello need some help on navigation lights. I am making a model of MV Celestine of Cobelfret ferries. I am about to start on the mast and the lights. Here is were I have got a bit confused . I have looked on line and seen that different combination of light mean different messages . I look at the masts and can work out what does what. front mast X1 white light left mast X3 red light of which 2 are doublemain mast from top red/white red/white next row down green/red red/white next row down white and red/whiterear mast from the top double white single red double white.

john

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
Re: navigation lights
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 10:06:09 pm »

Don't be confused, on the ships bridge will be a switch board for those lights. so that you switch on the ones you need for particular signals. What can be confusing is when a vessel works between certain ports on a liner service she will often have some local lights signals fitted as well. On the Arrochar I had lights fitted for the Scheldt Pilotage system from when she was an Army vessel working regular to that area.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 10:39:53 pm »

thanks for the reply but it does not really answer what I need .
I went on this web site that shows what different lights mean. Ok I got that but what I could not work out was, take 3 reds would that be the 3 reds on the smaller mast above the bridge or the main mast. On the main mast there is a green light whats that for as her port and starboard lights are just in front of the bridge.Then there is the red light on the stern mast what signal does that do ,can not find that any were .

john

http://ripplerocksquadron.com/On_Water/Collision%20Regs/TowingalongsideoraheadRestrictedwithpass.html

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 12:59:55 am »

Most likely, the two matched stacks of lamps are to assure 360° visiblity.
Three red  can signal that a ship is limited in it's maneuverablity by its draught.
Red white red is Limited maneuverability.
The green and red lamps could be for occasions of forward, or reverse maneuvering through harbors.
The double set allows the lamps to be switched depending on the direction of travel of the ship.

:)

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 08:42:11 pm »

The red light on the stern in your p[ic is not a stern nav light, but a local indication light for the vessel. The Three red lights are a pilotage signal meaning a deep draught vessel and the green light on the mast is a local pilotage signal, like on the Schetlde/Flushing it meant a vessel that was pilot exempt.

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 09:16:48 pm »

What would a "local indication light" indicate on a large vessel??
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 09:24:10 pm »

Hi All
Thanks for all your help . I have since found out that when on the Thames she needs a blue light above her main steaming light and above her stern light ,see rule 34.2 on page 54 of link
https://www.pla.co.uk/assets/120529_Thames_Byelaws1.pdf

It would appear that some of her lights are for local ports she visits .

john

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 09:34:34 pm »

For information, she is just passing Cleethorpes pier en route to
Immingham.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 09:41:02 pm »

Immingham is another big port for her and her sisters . Would be interesting to see what lights she has on

john

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 04:28:37 pm »

Also in your second to last photo the reds that are shown on the mast are double stacked on the same boom (arm), Usually this is for safety, ie if one extinguishes due to bulb failure the second can be lit to replace, they are not both on together. This practice is normally for main navigation lights and not pilotage lights for certain ports or rivers.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 09:53:25 pm »

Also in your second to last photo the reds that are shown on the mast are double stacked on the same boom (arm), Usually this is for safety, ie if one extinguishes due to bulb failure the second can be lit to replace, they are not both on together. This practice is normally for main navigation lights and not pilotage lights for certain ports or rivers.

Thanks for that Brian . would not have thought of that

john

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 08:13:49 pm »

Did not say the red was for local pilotage signals the reds are international signals, and as said are double one on the ships normal voltage the other 12v operating of emergency batteries. It was the blue and green light on the mast I referred to. Local red light was in the stern pic showing a red warning light near the stern nav lights, to me at sea in my distant past they were indicating some machinery or warning off, to me an indicating light that some process was happening.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 09:06:51 pm »

Would it be an indicator of ramp operation?

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2020, 02:06:34 am »

Jerry answered a question here on Navigation Light boxes being flat black [no reflective] internal surfaces
[/size]
https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,59708.msg692653.html#msg692653

So another question......

Why do some vessels [including Warships] have dual Red & Green....
..........................................................................[/size]Red & Green....[/color][/size]placed in a vertical array?......and others a single set of lamps[/font]

There is a good example for HMS Tiger posted today......I will attach a copy[/font]

Derek[/font]
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2020, 07:42:15 am »

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was built in redundancy in case one light failed!

An interesting aviation related mention of nav lights, CAA and MAA regulations say that the navigation lights are to be fitted at the widest fixed points on that aircraft- Tornado had their nav lights on their engine intakes. But I hear you say but nav lights on aircraft are on the wings-on Tornado the wing nav lights were called obstruction lights because the wings are not fixed being a swing wing aircraft. The lineys would often run in snagging nav lights not working on the wings and by the letter of the law they didn’t need to as they were described as obstruction lights!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

RST

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2020, 12:00:16 am »

Jerry answered a question here on Navigation Light boxes being flat black [no reflective] internal surfaces

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,59708.msg692653.html#msg692653

So another question......

Why do some vessels [including Warships] have dual Red & Green....
..........................................................................Red & Green....placed in a vertical array?......and others a single set of lampsThere is a good example for HMS Tiger posted today......I will attach a copyDerek
..Hi, as already answered a few post above it is redundancy.  Correct me but back in the day one electric, one oil burner (or secondary low voltage bulb which often required a second housing and that is not unique to military per se).  Used to be separate bulbs recently but nowadays we used to replace old bulbs with LED types which made them last a lot longer and on newer lamps, because of tech you might not have to run 2 lines of power up masts now, simple duplicity / redundancy. 

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2020, 01:56:54 am »

Thanks Nick & RST.....I guessed some type of redundancy, however viewing ships bridge Mimic Panel for the navigation lights indicates dual lights for port & stdb, however make no reference to alternate [or backup] electrical supply...just the words 'specialized circuitry to prevent bulb burnout......and extend service life'  :o 

Interestingly one image is listed as compliant with IMO MSC253 and the other non compliant ?

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

RST

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2020, 03:03:47 am »

can you post a link to substantiate your grainy pic which I think shows a theory rather than an actual panel not that it makes too much difference?
...then you talk / iso or IMO standards then I immediately step-back from the conversaton.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 04:33:39 am »

Here is the direct link I used .... %)  ....if there was a substantive number of grains involved, ....I thought my chooks would have eaten them  {-)

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk01MlB_f6fiXJCCzM4CHutA8X6_wxw:1591846204775&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=ship+navigation+panels&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjn48mc6fjpAhVuzDgGHcDsAi4QsAR6BAgKEAE

I now read further......

"The DC power source is a three-line system such that if one line is lost, the DC power indicator remains lit up and the red lamp of the power loss indicator lights up"
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.