Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: S100 running gear setup / spec  (Read 9494 times)

firstperkasa

• Full Mayhemer
S100 running gear setup / spec
« on: November 20, 2015, 04:50:55 pm »

Hi.
I'm currently building the italeri S100. I ve just got a quote from SHG models for the running gear as supplied for the Dave Abbott build. I will go with 3x 385 motors but I'm not sure on their propshafts and rudders. they look a bit nasty.
Has anyone bulit one using another spec ?
what size propshafts / rudders did you use ?

Mine is really ready for fitting out for RC now. The hull and superstructure are in basic paint but need the detail parts added and painting finishing. The whole of the rear deck is removable with a couple of small mods to the rear of the torpedo tubes. The armoured bridge is fixed.

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: S100 running gear setup / spec
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 05:15:56 pm »

Sorry can't advise on your running gear, I just want to say that it looks a very nice model :-)) :-))
Chris

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 05:17:39 pm »

If they were OK for Dave Abbott then that would be good enough for me!

Colin

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 06:23:58 pm »

My preference is for Raboasch maintenance free waterproof shafts, quite expensive but I think worth it, the rudders I usually make my own by laminating styrene over a brass stock.  :-))

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 07:11:16 pm »

Oh no not another cracking looking kit to put on the want list  %)  I'd go along with SHG, they did me fine on my Bluebell, & in a previous U boat build. Rudders as Joe say's, again I did this on the Bluebell works well  :-))
My Nordkaps on it's way, so I'd better start saving for this beast too  :}  1 meter long  !! that's a fine sized kit indeed  O0 
Keep posting some piccy's & let us know how you get on with the shafts etc. Nice one  :-))

Found this link too

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/italeri-1-35-s100-schnellboot-build-and-r-c-conversion.8172/

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 07:34:16 pm »

Hi I have sent you a P/M 're above.

Stan.

firstperkasa

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 10:52:07 pm »

for anyone wanting an S100 the italeri kit is great. The fine detail parts need care as they are prone to damaging when putting sprues down on one another. Other than that its a real pleasure to build. I'm in no hurry though.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 04:20:26 am »

Oh no not another cracking looking kit to put on the want list  %)  I'd go along with SHG, they did me fine on my Bluebell, & in a previous U boat build. Rudders as Joe say's, again I did this on the Bluebell works well  :-))
My Nordkaps on it's way, so I'd better start saving for this beast too  :}  1 meter long  !! that's a fine sized kit indeed  O0 
Keep posting some piccy's & let us know how you get on with the shafts etc. Nice one  :-))

Found this link too

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/italeri-1-35-s100-schnellboot-build-and-r-c-conversion.8172/

Thank you for the link much appreciated,  :-)) :-)) got one in the treasure trove.

Yes please with the pics of running gear etc.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

rsm

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 08:47:52 am »

Roger

firstperkasa

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 07:49:55 am »

making progress but slowly. all the running gear is now on order. shafts, props, couplings from shg as per the dave abbott build. 3x 385 mfa 5 pole motors, and an mtroniks tio marine 30 esc. just have to wait till all the parts come now. shg are real busy at the minute so it wont be till bext week for the majority of it.
the rudders i'm still mulling over but the linkage will be like that on stan's elco.
batteries ?? dunno yet but thats a way off yet - probably LiPo. the esc is lipo friendly.
trying to stop myself adding detail parts at the minute but done a little more painting.

firstperkasa

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 07:33:23 pm »

After a bit of a layoff (and now armed with a couple of goodies from the xmas stocking) I'm now back on with this again. Finally bit the bullet and made the cutouts and did the drilling for the shafts.. Not a happy bunny really, the shafts as supplied by SHG all appear to be too short. Now awaiting a response from SHG. I've had to go with the kit angles as the 2 outer shafts run through fairings so there's no mistake with the angles. I reckon each shaft needs another inch in length. Has anyone else come across this ? Thanks

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 11:00:40 pm »

You look at this thread at MB on the subject  http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=27016

Did you get any photod of how the SHG set is installed when you bought the bits?

firstperkasa

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 11:33:58 pm »

You look at this thread at MB on the subject  http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=27016

Did you get any photod of how the SHG set is installed when you bought the bits?
cheers . I'm on model boats and have read that.

Yes photos were supplied on a4 copy but the problem is the angle of the shafts. I can raise the centre one slightly to give clearance for the coupling but the outer shafts are very close to the bottom of the hull. no chance of fitting the couplings SHG supplied. The angle is dictated by the fairings the shafts run through. i specified enclosed shafts with a longer tube to go straight from the fairings and into the A frames. I think they got the length wrong.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 05:39:57 am »

cheers . I'm on model boats and have read that.

Yes photos were supplied on a4 copy but the problem is the angle of the shafts. I can raise the centre one slightly to give clearance for the coupling but the outer shafts are very close to the bottom of the hull. no chance of fitting the couplings SHG supplied. The angle is dictated by the fairings the shafts run through. i specified enclosed shafts with a longer tube to go straight from the fairings and into the A frames. I think they got the length wrong.

Reading the Model boats link it seems that Dave Abbott didn't follow the shaft rake as you have, they, his shafts are at a steeper rake, see below

"Just to update,  I spoke to the good folks at SHG today at the Weymouth show and all is explained.  The Dave Abbott design adapts the S-Boote full scale layout by dispensing with most of the shaft fairings (parts 12 and 13D) and, by putting a steeper pitch on the shaft, a shorter shaft can be used allowing the motors further aft and the battery pack nearer the proper centre of gravity.  As I am already committed to the full scale layout because I cut out holes in the main hull they will replace the supplied shafts with longer ones - once I have worked out what that length should be!"

If that is so then the SHG stuff needs changing as above.
Let us know how you get on.

firstperkasa

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 09:48:15 am »

Reading the Model boats link it seems that Dave Abbott didn't follow the shaft rake as you have, they, his shafts are at a steeper rake, see below

"Just to update,  I spoke to the good folks at SHG today at the Weymouth show and all is explained.  The Dave Abbott design adapts the S-Boote full scale layout by dispensing with most of the shaft fairings (parts 12 and 13D) and, by putting a steeper pitch on the shaft, a shorter shaft can be used allowing the motors further aft and the battery pack nearer the proper centre of gravity.  As I am already committed to the full scale layout because I cut out holes in the main hull they will replace the supplied shafts with longer ones - once I have worked out what that length should be!"

If that is so then the SHG stuff needs changing as above.
Let us know how you get on.

Thanks very much for that info. I knew the shaft length was flawed following the scale angle. SHG had made no mention of this so I will approach them for new shafts. ATB Rob

firstperkasa

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 10:09:52 am »

Happy days. Just spoken to SHG and they have offered to exchange the shafts.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2016, 01:08:19 am »

Good news and thumbs up to SHG  :-)) :-))

Let us know the lengths, post Pic, as others have the same kit for conversion. O0 O0

firstperkasa

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2016, 05:38:49 pm »

Good news and thumbs up to SHG  :-)) :-))

Let us know the lengths, post Pic, as others have the same kit for conversion. O0 O0
I've had a rethink on this and I'm going with 1 motor on the centre shaft. As I had already fitted the fairings, I dont really now want to start hacking away to change the shaft angle on the outer shafts. Longer shafts would cause more problems than its worth and would push the motors too far forward as the angle is so shallow.
Best advice I can give anyone building this kit is to either leave out the fairings as Dave Abbot did or fit the shafts at a suitable angle and try to assemble the fairings around them as best you can.
i will be leaving the 2 outer shafts fitted just as dummys for display and removing the props for the water.

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2016, 12:09:19 pm »

Here is a few pictures of my set up, by extending the shaft sufficientlly I managed to keep the angle fairly shallow.

It worked really well in trials and very quiet unfortunatley i dropped the superstructure and may buy a new kit and re-do all the fiddly bits again.  >:-o

Rich
Regards,

Rich

ojays

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 09:06:00 pm »

You could check out my Italeri S-100 build on here.
Just my slant on how it could be done!

Gregg
Age is but a number!

ojays

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 09:26:07 pm »

This was my way of resolving the rudder problem.
Cheap brass/metal shop bought, cut down to match the scale rudders, bulked out with car body filler and carved to shape.
Motors made up in a removable module.
Age is but a number!

ojays

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 09:44:58 pm »

I also set up the lurssen Effekt system on the outer rudders.
Age is but a number!

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2016, 06:52:22 pm »

Here is a few pictures of my set up, by extending the shaft sufficientlly I managed to keep the angle fairly shallow.

It worked really well in trials and very quiet unfortunatley i dropped the superstructure and may buy a new kit and re-do all the fiddly bits again.  >:-o

Rich

Nonsense. Contact Italeri customer service and see if you can purchase the relevant sprues or parts to rebuild the superstructure. I've done the same with Revell, Tamiya and Lindberg kits. Revell and Lindberg were at no charge to me.
~Harq

ojays

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2016, 09:33:34 pm »

Italeri state that this kit is 'Out Of Production' and has been for a long time.

What part of the superstructure do you need.
I have another semi built kit I am going to convert to an earlier version, so not using all of the super/cabin parts.
If you can post a photo to give me an idea I may be able to help!

Gregg
Age is but a number!

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2016, 09:41:37 pm »

Nonsense x2.  :P

A kit I was ordering parts for, the Tamiya 1/350 Missouri, is listed as out of production but they were still able to get parts sprues from Japan, probably on a limited run basis just to have spare parts for customers.

Maybe Italeri is the same way? Only an inquiry will reveal the answer.
~Harq
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.