Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.4GHz advice for novice  (Read 2282 times)

drover

• Full Mayhemer
2.4GHz advice for novice
« on: January 19, 2016, 02:32:43 pm »

My experience of radio control is limited to using 2 channel set ups on my son's Tamiya Grasshopper and a Clyde Puffer I built about 20 years ago.
I have revived an interest in model boats and am interested in how servos are set up when using 2.4GHz equipment. Information I have read so far is relating to planes and helicopters. I have not made a final decision on what model I am going to build yet but would be grateful for an explanation of the best set up controls for boats. Having found a manual on the net it seems that, for flight, one lever controls aileron and elevator, the other rudder and throttle. What would be the best arrangement for a boat if wanting to operate, purely for example, 3 servos for rudder and 2 sails, or for rudder, motor and gun rotation

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: 2.4GHz advice for novice
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 02:38:58 pm »

Servos are controlled exactly the same way as with older equipment. The exception is new bus systems like S.bus, but you won't require that for the sort of thing you have in mind.

Also computer sets give you more flexibility with setting things like throw limits, centre positioning etc. This makes things simpler when setting up your model.

Channel order varies from manufacturer, easy enough to find out what control operates what though. Some higher end sets allow you to route any channel to any control, however overkill for your requirements I would think.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 03:52:56 pm »

Hi drover, you say you want to control sails,gun turrets,etc. You would probably be better with
A computer based trim adjustment for the setting of the end points/stop points of your sail
Servo,s. I use a Spectrum DX6i which can store 10 model memmories which you can give
Names and totally different settings to. You just set it to the model you are going to sail for
It to work.

John

drover

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 10:33:33 am »

thanks John, and Subculture, for your responses. After several false starts on a few different boats I eventually got going on a Thames Barge which is finally nearing completion (at my current rate of work 'nearing' could mean a few months!) When I decided to start on model boats I just went to the local shop and bought a bog-standard RC.

It is only now that retirement is nearing and I'm beginning to think what my next project will be that I've started looking at 2.4 kit. I initially thought it was just the convenience of not having crystals and the resulting lack of clash of frequencies that was the main advantage but now your mention of computer sets is very exciting and gives me much food for thought. I didn't realise how much the technology had advanced since I made the Puffer.

However at my slow rate of work I doubt if I'll ever have need to store 2 model memories let alone 10! (my wife has her own plans for how I will spend my retirement) At the moment mustn't get too distracted investigating this and concentrate on completing my current build.

Thanks

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 05:06:24 pm »

You cannot go wrong with a Planet T5 = 5 Channels, easy to set up, oh and don't forget you need it in Mode 2 that's Throttle on Left and Rudder on Right, I daresay others will have different ideas.

Regards,

Len.

inertia

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 05:21:39 pm »

T5 is fine, but it's not a computerised radio like the Dx6.
DM

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 08:44:10 pm »

Hi Drover, you are right about 2.4 not being as prone to 'bleed over' from other frequencies. In my opinion it's the way to go.

Next, although you may only have 2 models now you may find that there is a chance that could expand and for that reason I would add to what others have said and go for computerised kit. There are a few great 2.4 radios out there and with some good functions all for not too much expense.

With a computer radio you can reverse the direction a servo turns without having to take it out and adjust pushrods. You can choose how much it turns (from zero to 120%) and lots lots more just with the press of a few buttons. No more buzzing servos when the pushrods bottom out.

If you want to turn something like a gun turret then it may be an idea to look for a radio with one or more rotating switches (I think they are called 'pots' short for potentiometers but don't quote me) or with some radios you can get slider switches.

My radio is used for flying (or was) and I now sail my boats with it. Each model has a name and when I turn my radio on I just find the model name and all the settings are remembered. This goes for all the new computer radios and it's a great system.

So in brief...... 2.4ghz computer with model memory and a couple of switches and/or dials.

Once you have it if you can't understand some of the complicated jargon (like this post :embarrassed:  just come on here and someone will be only too happy to help....... Let us know how you get on and what you choose. U2
It'll look better when it's finished!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.