Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 1622 times)

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
  • Dream being fulfilled after 47 years.
Introduction
« on: January 26, 2016, 08:00:12 pm »

Hello everybody! I am Hande, from Espoo Finland, and I'm fulfilling a 40-year-old dream.

When I was 17, I studied the brochures of Billing Boats with great enthusiasm.
Due to financial restrictions and priorities, the idea of starting a project remained dormant.

Well, now thanks to being laid off, I have time. And while I still had some savings, I spent it on an old BB528 that I found in the backroom of a Danish model (and other) hobby retailer IC Communication. To give you an idea - the Becker rudder is to be built from 29 pieces - each. Newer versions come with a complete rudder, I think. But the hull is ABS one-piece. Fortunately, as I don't actually care for building the hull from planks...

I know that the Smit Nederland is very popular, and hope that you are not bored by yet another one.

My special angle is the following:

The real Smit Nederland has a sister ship, the Smit Finland ("Finland" - you see? - My special connection), manufactured in 1979. After some not insignificant detective work, I have learned that Smit Finland was sold to Equatorial Guinea - over Morocco, where her name was changed into mere "Finland". In Equatorial Guinea, she was renamed "Ureka XIV" (Ureca is the southern part of an island that belongs to E.G.). For some untraceable procedure, she was reflagged over to St Vincent and Grenadines. Her AIS was received in Guangzhou, China in 2013, and she was sighted some months later in Tanger, where she was photographed by Jan Pieter Honkoop (thank you, JPH!). Her home port is Malabo, at least by the markings. May be her owner is in Morocco?

So, my plan is to make my BB528 look like Ureka XIV - with the proper weathering and change of paints versus the Billing Boats suggestion.

Well, this is my commitment made public. I will keep the forum posted, in case someone is interested...
Trial-and-error doesn't spell failure - right?

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 08:05:46 pm »

Welcome to the forum! Do put up some reports on progress and images, your detetive work and a new livery will no dout be interesting to many.

Good luck :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 12:01:26 pm »

This all sounds very interesting, I'll be following the build. I always like to hear the history of a ship as it adds to the storyline.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 12:32:21 pm »

Welcome aboard :0

Another Honorary Finn here (By marriage)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 02:07:00 pm »

Hello Hande and welcome to Mayhem!

Well as you said you've made it public knowledge now so you HAVE to make it. There are lots of nice tug builders on here so don't be shy and good luck with your build.......    U2
It'll look better when it's finished!

merseyferry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 03:54:02 pm »

hello and welcome to mayhem hande :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.