Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NiMh's  (Read 1620 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
NiMh's
« on: January 22, 2016, 09:28:20 am »

OK so I have one of these being delivered to my home, it's a 9.6v tx pack, no problem.

However the thought occured to me that these now come in many varied sizes and voltages so--- can you take two 4v units and connect in series and get an 8v unit? Or indeed a 4.5v unit and connect in series to a 6v and end up with 10.5v? This was often done in the old days using NiCd's ie just stick another 1.2v AA size in series and up the voltage to whatever, but is this still the case with these newer batteries?

I'm interested as I need 8-12v for my drive pack, but it would be far easier if I could use two smaller batteries in series due to space limitations - they could be in different parts of the hull.

inertia

Re: NiMh's
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 09:36:35 am »

No problem connecting NiMH packs in series to increase the voltage. Just try to keep the connecting leads as short as possible and it's advisable to use packs of the same capacity e.g. 2600maH. . Parallel connection is another matter entirely! The packs are still a multiple of the 1.2v of each cell within them - just like NiCads.
DM

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 09:47:21 am »

Yes - adding batteries in series just adds the voltages

- BUT -

they must be of the same mAh rating or the smaller mAh pack will be exhausted sooner and then it will be discharged further than its acceptable rating (sucked dry) - this can damage the cells and reduce their lifespan significantly or at worst, make them useless - also, the pack with the higher mAh will never be fully utilised.

You might also get a strange discharge curve with mismatched packs so the total voltage may be unreliable as they discharge.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 10:48:14 am »

Thanks guys. I'll take a look at my space limitations and compare them to the packs available, from what I've quickly measured by 'eye' I'm thinking of packs made up of what would be the old 'C' size cells end to end and 3 to a pack should fit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.