Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Classic electronics?  (Read 3274 times)

boathound

• Full Mayhemer
Classic electronics?
« on: January 23, 2016, 07:40:42 pm »

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
Re: Classic electronics?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 08:14:27 pm »

I was looking at this earlier - is that an escapement servo? It looks like the old 'bang bang' style of radio so it's single channel steering only with the motor at full speed all the time.

Scary to pilot!

Can't decide if it's nice as a museum piece of obsolete gear to try to get functioning or if you'd just dump the electonics and fit modern gear.

£400? not worth £50 in my opinion.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 09:41:03 pm »

Looks like the old Shipwright plan featured as a build in the Reeve and Thomas book of 1949. An interesting find probably dating back to the early 1960s.

Colin

inertia

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 11:11:17 pm »

I guess it depends on what you want to preserve and/or what you want to do with the model. If you want to save it as a static model of its time then why change anything? On the other hand that rat's nest of antiquated rubbish wouldn't function reliably even with the power of prayer, so to sail the model I'd strip the lot out and refit it with some micro radio - AND some decent batteries. No point in making life hard for yourself...  8)
DM

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 09:08:33 am »

I'd second that.  Whatever the merits of the model, and it does look a nice one, the electronics from back then were not noted for real reliability or ease of use even when new.  The fact that it moved at all and that the direction of travel could be changed more or less at will was wonder enough back then.  To keep appearances but have modern ease of use and reliability, the old gear could be left in place but disconnected as ornamental ballast and new gear hidden around it.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Captain Povey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 09:49:09 am »

Yes I am with Inertia on that one, All that is old is not always beautiful or valuable. Ramona says that can be applied to me too. Graham.  {-)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 09:58:58 am »

Hi guys I think you are all missing something.  If you look carefully there is a Basset-lowke Marine electric motor buried in there.  Last one I saw on ebay went for £109.00.
Anyone desperate for one PM me.

I used to have older RC than that and it only took a small prayer to make it work!
regards Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 10:12:55 am »

'I used to have older RC than that and it only took a small prayer to make it work!'

But if it was crystal controlled (not certain) it would probably have been before the days of split frequencies so if it did work it could interfere with other models on nearby frequencies.

Colin

inertia

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 10:25:24 am »

Hi guys I think you are all missing something.  If you look carefully there is a Basset-lowke Marine electric motor buried in there.  Last one I saw on ebay went for £109.00.
Anyone desperate for one PM me.

I used to have older RC than that and it only took a small prayer to make it work!
regards Roy
Roy
I have an AVO 8 which is quite possibly older than I am. It's way out of calibration. I can make it work but I wouldn't rely on it for anything other than perhaps going wrong at an awkward moment. I keep it as an ornament in my workshop, purely out of nostalgia.
Much the same goes for the radio in this model. The question was 'if you bought it would you strip out the old electronics' and my answer is as I said - it depends entirely on why I'd bought it.
I wouldn't use that radio if I wanted to sail the model regularly (and neither, I suspect, would you...). If one can sell the motor for silly money then the purchase of some modern radio gear is, as they say, a done deal.

Colin
It's almost certainly what used to be called "super regen", which means that NO other model can be operated at the same time on that frequency (or any frequency near it).
DM

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 11:37:23 am »

Hi all, Ahhhh!  Avo 8's!  Still use mine in an emergency but mainly use 2 similar electronic ones from the mid 1980's, nice big digital screen. 

Anyone hazard a guess as to what does what?  The left hand unit could rotate?  The long rod does not seem to work the rudder as there is a pivot to one side. It may operate the micro switch as well.
My earliest successful RC was the Fleet (Derek Olley) switch system it was like an electronic reed unit very reliable I think I bought mine in 1966, it had a blue crystal soldered in.
regards Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 02:02:57 pm »

To be honest Dave, I think a lot of us might benefit from super regeneration...

Colin

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 02:39:57 pm »

I like the factoid they pass off here. Marr sold it to Kingston fishing for 55 thousand pounds, then Kingston sold it back to Marr just two years later for 72 thousand pounds - now thats how to do business! Although 55 grand must be a nice number for Marr because they sold it on a second time for that amount {-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.