Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for a 27" MTB  (Read 1652 times)

DavidHughes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Suggestions for a 27" MTB
« on: December 12, 2015, 01:23:00 pm »

Hiya - Needing some help/guidance and hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction...

Just starting work on only my second ever project - a 2-and-a-bit ft long MTB.  I want a decent bit of performance out of it - reasonable speed ("scale+" planing speed, but not competition performance) and decent longevity, but at a reasonable cost.  I initially wanted to avoid Lipos and brushless on the basis that motors seem to be £50 plus, and have huge current draw meaning expensive ESCs and batteries... with other family commitments etc, I cant justify spending too much on my hobby

After a bit of guidance on the other thread I ended up with a RS540 brushed motor on the basis that at 7.2v, I would get high revs, with reasonable current draw, such that a 5000mAh NiMH would give me 30mins or so duration...maybe a bit more with a few lower speed runs, fiddling around etc   Then I came across the hobbyking website, where Turnigy motors can be had for c£10 and ESCs seems reasonably priced too?   A 2822/17 motor (as suggested by someone) at £6-7 running at 7.2v would give me 8,000-9,000 rpm, with max current draw of 10A, meaning my 5000mAh battery would give me the 30 mins or so. And there was a hobbyking branded 10A ESC (with reverse) for not a lot more £££   Is it really as simple as that? Why are these motors and ESCs so much cheaper than anything on anyone else's website?   Sorry for all the questions - it all seems so much more complicated that I thought! 

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
Re: Suggestions for a 27" MTB
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 12:27:44 pm »

Hi David
My mate and I have a couple of Sea Hornet's 25 and 1/4 inch.
We are running Hobbyking products, which are very good.
One has a B28-57-17L 1700kv 630watt motor and the other a B28-57-15L 1900kw 750watt motor.
Both have 32mm brass 2 blade props and use a Lipo 3s 2650mah battery with a 45Amp car ESC.
Speed 35- 40mph.
I moved over to brushless motors and Lipo's!!
Lipo's will give you far longer run time(1/2 hour plus on the 2650mah).
The 2650mah is about the same size as a Nicad.
Weight 250 grams and a 2400mah Nicad is 300 grams.
Brushless motor are far more powerful than the brush motors.
Any more questions, more than happy to help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.