Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Damen 1907 tug, 1/32 build  (Read 818 times)

npomeroy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Damen 1907 tug, 1/32 build
« on: June 01, 2023, 03:28:21 am »

My first boat project - in my senior years I'm retiring from RC scale helicopters which are fairly high-stress to fly. I've built a few 1/8 scale light aircraft from scratch as display models based on 3-view drawings and photos. The Damen tug is a charm-less modern type but I like the look of them, I could easily find GA drawings and the superstructure is fairly simple (for a boat). Being a hard-chine type I could work out the cross sections from the 3-view drawings, although blowing them up from the brochure PDF required some interpolation.

The hull framework will be laser-cut 3mm ply, with 1mm ply sheathing. The above-deck cabin will be clad mostly in 1mm ply with some sort of internal framework. I have just today done a prototype window frame https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,68744.0.html .

I've bought the motors Mabuchi RS-555PH-3255 and speed controllers. I've ordered a bow thruster from UK and foolishly thought I'd save shipping costs by directing it my wife's family in the Netherlands, who she is visiting, but after paying EU VAT plus an unexpected EU customs cost of about 30% (email from Post-NL), it would have been significantly cheaper and faster to send it direct. Oh well.

Attached are some of the hull frame parts and a an example image. Not sure of colour scheme yet.

Cheers
Nelson

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
  • Dream being fulfilled after 47 years.
Re: Damen 1907 tug, 1/32 build
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 08:27:38 am »

I admire scratch building skills! This will be fun to follow.
Sorry about my ignorance, but surely Damen 1907 doesn't refer to the original build year? The looks and propulsion gear are pretty much 1960's - 70's
Hande

PS. Helicopters - wow !!
Trial-and-error doesn't spell failure - right?

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 12:10:25 pm »

Here’s a photo of a Damen 1207 Stan tug I built a couple of years ago.

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 12:15:37 pm »

Any progress?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.