Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Coastal range ex-Smit-tug  (Read 169516 times)

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
  • Dream being fulfilled after 47 years.
Re: Coastal range ex-Smit-tug
« Reply #200 on: October 14, 2016, 12:39:48 am »

Oh and the recepies of the above (Vallejo Model color mostly. Some colours are Air color):

bulwark knees: yellow + ochre 50/50
Escape hatch: an awkward mixture of Hull red, Light orange and orange brown 30/30/30 (doesn't add up - I know...)

Plenty of airbrush thinner close to 50%
Drops of flow improver.

surface primer:
1. a mist
2. a coat of primer
sand smooth

colour:
1. a mist
2-3. coats of color
sanding
4-5. coats of color
6. satin varnish light coat
7. satin varnish finish

Tried to collect all my patience to let cure between coats. I did everything between 30 minutes and 48 hours.
Final coats I sometimes just waited to see that the paint had dried (30 min). Other times, I let cure 24 hours.
My patience varies...  :embarrassed:
The primer I let cure for 48 hours or more even.
Brought the pieces sometimes to a warm (dry) sauna for better curing results.  ;)

Planning to seal with an equivalent of Future (doesn't sell in Finland).
Tested "Future" on satin varnish - nice sheen to be expected.

Trial-and-error doesn't spell failure - right?

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #201 on: October 14, 2016, 07:39:48 am »

The paint is looking good Hande, but you shouldn't need to mix to get the correct colour, Vallejo (model color) do a vast range......

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/

However for a massive range of colours try this link..........

http://www.migjimenez.com/en/

Mig Jimenez designed and worked for Vallejo until they had a falling out, then he set up his own company with as I said a truly massive range of paint and other materials.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #202 on: October 14, 2016, 11:31:34 am »

I wouldn't get too bogged down where painting is concerned - there's always something else to be done while paint is drying off, even if it's just preparing smaller items for gluing etc..

Also, I think you will find that, once the hull is done, the remainder will come together quite quickly. O0

Regards,

Ray.

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #203 on: October 14, 2016, 04:12:11 pm »

Thanks for the link to resources, Brian60!

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #204 on: October 14, 2016, 04:40:51 pm »

I wouldn't get too bogged down where painting is concerned - there's always something else to be done while paint is drying off, even if it's just preparing smaller items for gluing etc..

I knew that...  ok2  What is it that makes man "forget" even the most elementary of the rules? Every now and then, I lose self discipline and just let go... Too easy to let the airbrush fly and not stop. I should get me a board/structure/scrap model on the side so I can move over there every time I feel like letting go. It would be good for practice, too.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #205 on: October 14, 2016, 08:28:36 pm »

Good idea Josse. I know of modellers and wargamers who keep an old tank model to test paint and the like on. They occasionally strip vast quanitites of paint off them to be able to see some detail again! You are doing great Josse and have the right ethos in enjoying your hobby. Do it for you and at your pace.
Pond weed is your enemy

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #206 on: January 21, 2017, 09:27:47 am »

Sparmax quality (SP-35). The nozzle broke in two while gently cleaning it with a smooth brush. >>:-(
The air brush is only months old. (I think I could still count the times that I have dismantled the nozzle).
DID NOT use force, no shocks or dropping.

The vendor didn't care enough about the customer - or brand image - to replace the part.
(I mean - what did it cost to them just to replace the part? - Unless they are getting a lot of these cases..?

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #207 on: January 21, 2017, 09:29:32 am »

I love this Stanley vise..!  O0 I should have gotten it a year ago, when I started.

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #208 on: January 21, 2017, 09:34:18 am »

enough about tools...

For the life rafts, I used enamel paint. The rubber seal is still missing. Needs weathering. They are unnaturally clean now...

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #209 on: January 21, 2017, 09:38:25 am »

In Finland, one naturally comes by with some hockey stick tape  ok2
The life rings (X6) are coming out promising...
The ropes still not finished.
This is slow progress, and without the air brush (waiting for a replacement nozzle (15€ !!!  >>:-( ) even slower.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #210 on: January 21, 2017, 04:17:18 pm »

Good to see you are still at it Hande.

Spray gun trouble is what made me turn to rattle cans for spraying larger areas - still prefer to hand paint for smaller items.
The tape you are using on the lifebelts looks like good material - I like your new vice as well. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #211 on: January 21, 2017, 06:03:57 pm »

Cool vice but uncool customer relations regarding the nozzle. Surely it has a parts warranty even if for only one year??
Pond weed is your enemy

desktoprover

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #212 on: January 21, 2017, 06:35:44 pm »

I went through your build for the first time this morning!  It's looking really good, nice work!

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #213 on: January 22, 2017, 01:12:04 am »

For the life rafts, I used enamel paint. The rubber seal is still missing. Needs weathering. They are unnaturally clean now...

I tried to make the life raft packs look as if you could actually snap them open. It took me almost three hours to get the rubber gaskets done  :embarrassed:
I got close - I think. I chose a different model than many of my fellow modelers. Meaning the edge of the upper half goes over the edge of the lower one, thus, in my simulation,  the rubber gasket is mostly concealed under the edge of the upper half. This model is one that is mostly seen here in Finland. More water proof.

So, in my simulation tale, the company down in Morocco procured the life rafts for the UREKA tugs from Finland

Nowadays the large corporation in question owns several former Smit tugs and they renamed them - rather unimaginably - UREKA [number]. My Smit Finland (sister of Smit Nederland, Smit Rusland and I believe four other tugs) is today UREKA XIV.

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #214 on: January 22, 2017, 01:18:46 am »

I went through your build for the first time this morning!  It's looking really good, nice work!

Thanks for the encouragement, desktoprover  :D

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #215 on: January 22, 2017, 01:24:55 am »

Good to see you are still at it Hande.

Spray gun trouble is what made me turn to rattle cans for spraying larger areas - still prefer to hand paint for smaller items.
The tape you are using on the lifebelts looks like good material - I like your new vice as well. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

Yes, good to "see" you too, capt Ray! (see pm)

I know - the rattle cans are so much fun to use. I am learning to use the airbrush, though. The thing is that I wanted to save some money, when unemployed, and got this "economy" model from a poor-customer-service- vendor. Now that I am actually paid some salary - may be I should get me a proper one...

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #216 on: January 22, 2017, 01:31:55 am »

Cool vice but uncool customer relations regarding the nozzle. Surely it has a parts warranty even if for only one year??

You never miss an opportunity to say some kind words, ballastanksian  :-)  Thank you!
With this Sparmax vendor - I'm not going to sue them for 15€. But I will choose a different manufacturer for my next airbrush - and informed the merchant about my decision.

Btw, is "vise" american, and "vice" english? I have a side agenda to learn english at the same time that I interact on the forum here.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #217 on: January 22, 2017, 03:35:50 am »

Sparmax quality (SP-35). The nozzle broke in two while gently cleaning it with a smooth brush. >>:-(
The air brush is only months old. (I think I could still count the times that I have dismantled the nozzle).
DID NOT use force, no shocks or dropping.

That nozzle/jet looks like it was made of cheap white metal. It would have degraded and failed soon anyway.
If you can identify the thread size you could search on line for manufacturers with a same thread replacement nozzle/jet.
If you can get spares from Sparmax spares, buy 2 or 3, it will save on postage and if/when one fails again, you won't be stuck waiting for a replacement.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #218 on: January 22, 2017, 07:56:44 am »

That nozzle/jet looks like it was made of cheap white metal. It would have degraded and failed soon anyway.
If you can identify the thread size you could search on line for manufacturers with a same thread replacement nozzle/jet.
If you can get spares from Sparmax spares, buy 2 or 3, it will save on postage and if/when one fails again, you won't be stuck waiting for a replacement.

good hints!
Thank you tigertiger  :-) 

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2017, 11:37:25 pm »

Hi Hande,

I say credit where credit is due because, while we are not premadonnas, it is nice to have a bit of compliment and some feedback on what we are doing if only to affirm that we are at least doing something sensible. Many times, an idea may seem daft, but with thinking out and stepping back to consider it against other ideas, it seems no less practial. I try not to compliment after every picture because that is not constructive. Seeing a series of process shots turn into a completed structure is more impressive, unless a single picture has an effect on me.

As regards Vice/Vice, Vice is the English term for an implement mounted on a bench that holds something steady to work upon. In the States, Vise is used to describe the same thing. It stems from the fact that America has a diverse heritage, with immigrants from most European countries as well as people from Central and South America bringing their dialects of Spanish and Brazillian.

Many Europeans learnt English as it became the standard language, but have their own manners of translation. The German language is at times back wards to English by way of where Adjectives (I think) are placed, and you will notice this when listening to some Americans speak. The divergance of English and American English is similar to that between French and Swiss French, which are different enough to catch even French person out! Academy French evolved by way of court fashion in speech while the Swiss French remained much nearer to old French. I learnt this off a program on radio Four some years back- 'From your Correspondant' I recall.

Did you paint the seals on the raft containers or apply a strip of something around the edges?

Pond weed is your enemy

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #220 on: January 23, 2017, 05:27:15 pm »

I painted the gasket simulation.
That is to say, painted, wiped off, painted, wiped off X 25  :embarrassed:
I have a size 00 brush, but even that seemed too thick.
The whole night-session reminded me of my teen years with the static models that I was constructing out of Airfix kits.
Funny thing is - I didn't seem to mind that it was so tedious! Quite the contrary.
What is it that brings such ...uhm... happiness in a situation that is not apparently fun?
I entered a FLOW state of mind  :}

I enjoy learning about the intricacies of languages. I am working on my Italian these days. It's fun, too.

Thanks, ballastanksian!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #221 on: January 23, 2017, 08:53:56 pm »

If I am in the right mood, that is to say my day went well, then it is relaxing to do a long winded job.
Pond weed is your enemy

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #222 on: January 27, 2017, 05:43:16 pm »

Life belts (rings?) getting almost there.
Lacking varnish and a little weathering.

Phil Ciborowski

• Full Mayhemer
  • Live Long and Build Em All
« Reply #223 on: February 23, 2017, 03:57:14 am »

While I know its a bit late to suggest this, but would using black thread glued in place work well for the gasket? Once in place a shot of clear to hold things together and you would be all set.

Thats my thinking at least
http://philciborowski.weebly.com/

Stop by my site! It's always growing!

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #224 on: March 03, 2017, 07:51:13 pm »

Great thinking, Phil! O0
To be kept for a future build, to be sure!

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 23 queries.