Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graupner 700BB Turbo reverse running  (Read 4219 times)

Biggles

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Graupner 700BB Turbo reverse running
« on: January 27, 2016, 08:52:38 pm »

Hi All

I have a Fairey Huntsman 33" with twin prop shafts and I'm thinking of changing the motors to Graupner 700BB Turbos, Can you run these motors in reverse as I want the props to turn in outwards directions.

Also what sort of batteries would you use with these motors, the previous was a sealed lead acid.

Any help gratefully received. Thank you.

Biggles

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Graupner 700BB Turbo reverse running
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 09:00:56 pm »

Yes, they run very well in reverse.

You can run any battery you feel most comfortable with but Lead acids may not stand up too well to the punishment!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 09:56:41 pm »

I used these with great success (but brushless are better!)

Graupner motors have a nominal voltage range, use the top end of the range and you will get a good speed, but will probably have to water cool them. I tested quite a few, the 9.6v was the best for me, if you can get your hands on the neo version  (neodum  magnets, probably spelt wrong!) they are very good

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 10:34:14 pm »

Lead acids may not stand up too well to the punishment!

Not "may".  "Will" not stand the punishment is nearer.
A battery is needed that can continuously supply the required current and store more energy and be lighter.  Lithium sounds good.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 03:20:08 am »

Hi
If you are changing motors and maybe batteries??
Twin B28-57-15L brushless with water-cool engine mounts(on 3S(11.1 volt Lipo Batteries)21,090 rpm ,750 watts) these are Diameter 28mm x length 57 mm ,shaft 3.175mm).
Brushless 45-60 Amp ESC's.
Twin 3S 2650mah 30C Lipo batteries(weight 250 grams each).
Props 2 blade 32mm x 1.4 pitch or 3 blade 30mm x 1.4 pitch.
I have a single setup in my 25 and 1/4 inch Sea Hornet and it's a little rocket.
I lower rev motor would be the B28-57-17L which my mate has in his Sea Hornet.
Remember  750 watts equal one HP. 

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 07:01:22 pm »

i too have a huntsman , fitted with a pair  model motors direct 777 motors , ive tried both a single battery and a seperate battery to each esc/motor  and havnt been able to get the boat onto the plane , even from a 12 v supply , im currently fitting a piar of 28 mm dia  1000 kv brushless motors into a spearfish , with lipo batteries , if the performance is nearer to scale i shall be re motoring the huntsman too . motor / battery technology has come along in leaps and bounds over the last few years meaning we can finally get better perfomance than the glow engines

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 02:55:11 am »

We have a club member with a Spearfish, it has a single Turnigy 3639-750kv on 3S with a 50mm prop 2 blade, we tested a 3639-1100kv on 3S and 4S and also a 3648-1450kv on 3S.
Performance was a bit over scale speed, to dam hoon, to insane.
The Spearfish handle all these tests with no problems!!! 

inertia

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 10:04:58 am »

i too have a huntsman , fitted with a pair  model motors direct 777 motors , ive tried both a single battery and a seperate battery to each esc/motor  and havnt been able to get the boat onto the plane , even from a 12 v supply , im currently fitting a piar of 28 mm dia  1000 kv brushless motors into a spearfish , with lipo batteries , if the performance is nearer to scale i shall be re motoring the huntsman too . motor / battery technology has come along in leaps and bounds over the last few years meaning we can finally get better perfomance than the glow engines
John
The 777 is a very 'soft' motor and doesn't have the power required to propel a Huntsman, even when fitted in pairs. This is exacerbated if you then were to weigh the poor thing down with lead-acid batteries. You haven't said which Huntsman you have but it's bound to improve in performance with brushless motors and lighter batteries. Prop selection also is an important factor.
DM
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.