Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New boy seeking help  (Read 2273 times)

Gids1412

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
New boy seeking help
« on: January 29, 2016, 12:30:56 pm »

Last year I left my Saturn 6ch 2.4Ghz controller out in the rain overnight, I got it working again so all OK.
I have just finished a 3 foot model of the RFA  Wave Chief Oil tanker which I was on in '61, and so turned to getting the RC working. The Saturn started working again but was intermited, so after many attempts using the ESC Viper 10 and 15 I ordered a new Saturn controller.
I then turned to setting up my backup the Fubata analog controller, this ran the motor in one direction only, dispite using several other motors it was the same, not a problem with the servos for the rudder that was OK. The new controller has just arrived and it also runs the motor in one direction only. So I have ether programmed  the vipers wrongly with all my messing around or blown them.
Anybody any answers please.
Gids

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New boy seeking help
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 04:23:32 pm »

Is there an "aero" setting ?  That would be one way only {:-{
..well can you land on this?

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 06:57:26 pm »

I take it you have done the initial setup to "tell" the esc what to do ie forward/reverse, forward only(aircraft), brake etc. or it may be using a default setting.

fredd

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 10:30:49 pm »

I had a similar problem changing from 2.4 Ghz to a Futaba 27 Mhz 5L set
It needs the esc neutral resetting and I would check the other servos,you will probably find the neutral is about 20 degrees out?

Fred

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 09:34:07 am »

If hopping between Futaba transmitters and the rest of the world, Futaba like their neutral to be 1.35mS pulse width, RoW goes for 1.5.  While the RoW likes reverse to be shorter pulses and forward longer ones, Futaba goes the other way, so an ESC that has "learnt" a Futaba needs to be retrained for anything else.  And vice-versa.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Gids1412

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 10:51:37 am »

Thanks for the replies, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
I have now got new Saturn 4chl and got one viper working. But could now pair the old rx to the new tx.Visited  model shop and they don't know the tx make, but said some model won't talk to other rx, so I have accepted this and move on.
Trying out the ship on the pool I found that on turning the ship,she nearly rolls over, so ballast was increased and then stabilisers still did respond very well. I think I will have redesign hull perhaps stick a new narrow bottom.
I used the  "balsa box method" which I read about in a magazine, except I didnt take in the piece  about  attention to the weight etc, and I also didn't construct a keel, so the hull is basically a box, just like a WW2 landing craft. Not very clever !! Oh well we live and learn....watch this space. Thanks guys. Pete

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 01:38:54 pm »

Some ESC's need the Futaba throttle channel set to reverse mode before they work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.