Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 40Mhz weirdy thingy happening  (Read 2790 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
40Mhz weirdy thingy happening
« on: January 29, 2016, 02:23:03 pm »

I got my new battery for the tx yesterday, I've had it on charge overnight and installed it today. A weird thing is happening that I can't explain.

Turn on TX and then RX, move joysticks nothing. hmmm. push a servo over to the right manually and you can feel resistance and a light humming from the servo, then move the joystick over and the servo returns to centre. But swing the servo over the other way and nothing at all, no resistance felt and no reaction to the joystick. I've tried in in all 6 rx sockets and the same happens.

Anyone with an explanation? I did think about swapping over the signal and negative wires but not sure about whether this is the way to proceed, bearing in mind with this Sanwa set those two wires need to be swapped and for the life of me, I can't with the passage of time (donkeys years) remember whether I have already done this.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 40Mhz weirdy thingy happening
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 03:28:51 pm »

you have only changed one parameter, check the NEW battery before anything else.nemesis

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 04:00:28 pm »

New TX battery measured with voltmeter and has 9.0v showing (9,6v) RX nicds 4.8v removed and placed on charge meanwhile replaced with 4 normal batteries (6v total) with same result.

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 11:54:17 pm »

Hi Brian, this is a longshot, but possible, are the crystals the right way round,? I.e rx in the reveiver etc. I assume you have the correct pair, I had an an embarasing morning down at the Torrevieja club last year with that mistake.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 08:07:24 am »

Don't know Chas. This set has been in storage for so long (20+years) anything is possible! I'll check on them later this morning. If at the end of the day it is still kaput I've lost nothing, I'll just drop in a spare receiver for my 2.4ghz system instead - I'm just trying to use up some of the kit I've had in boxes for years, because we all hate to throw good stuff away  :embarrassed:

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 09:42:22 am »

If it has been hibernating a long time, the crystals (and/or their sockets) might well have grown a bit of muck.  Just unplugging them and replacing might scrape enough off to restore working.  Also applies to other metal to metal contacts exposed to ait, switches and power contacts being top of the list.
Getting 9.0 volts on a 9.6 volt battery?  It isn't fully charged, all sorts of things could be happening.  9 volts under load might be OK, but 9 volts just working the voltmeter isn't going to work.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 11:29:15 am »

Sorted.

How many duff servo's can one person possess? Not getting any response with the 40mhz set, I had a brainwave. I connected up my 2.4 receiver, fired up the tranny still nothing from the servo. I have two micro servos from the anchor handler so connected one to the 2.4 set up it worked. Connect the servo I wanted to use and nada, same result as my first post. So the servo is junk. Digging through my 'keep it for something useful' box I turned up two more servo's. Markings said Acoms, so that is from waaay back when, actually from a 27mhz set circa 1979 ( I did say keep it for something!) Anyway neither of these worked either, probably why they ended up in the bottom of that box!

I now need to get in some servo's, I'll get them on order but seeing as I am due a trip back to the UK then I'll pick them up at my father in laws.

Moral of the story, don't always assume its the most complex bit of the system, but who expects servo's to fail?

richald

• Full Mayhemer
  • Retired and loving it!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 01:18:13 pm »

Banggood Servo Tester
Cheap bit of kit to avoid servo problems - I use mine regularly for checking servo
movement, and ESC settings - £2.93 odd well spent!

All you need is a 4 AA cell battery pack and your servo - test will allow manual servo movement,
servo centering, and servo sweep - if you are testing an ESC and it has a BEC you don't even
need the battery pack!

Servo Tester

Richard
Senior member of the OGG (Order of the Grumpy Gits)
Membership Number : 002

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 01:38:12 pm »

Although all of the logical idiot charts assume that only one component can fail at any one time and be the cause of a problem, there isn't any actual rule that states that there is just a single cause for any particular problem.
The dead servos might be good as parts mines for small motors/gearboxes, or even as small ESCs, depending on what is broken in them.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 04:23:32 pm »

Well that was weird.

Ordered a couple of servo's from Hobbyking earlier paid with Paypal (my account) no problem.

Went to Banggood on Rich's recommendation for the servo tester. All ok to checkout then pay with paypal, get a page failure to load message. Hmmm, try a second time and it loads with my wife's details and our UK address, not my details and our Spanish address. Have to see what happens next. After the payment was accepted I then got a warning from Malwarebytes of  malware trying to download, hmmm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.