Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Painting advice needed  (Read 2120 times)

Jon_C2015

• Full Mayhemer
  • Back to model boat building after many years.
Painting advice needed
« on: April 07, 2016, 01:01:01 pm »

Dear all,

I am happily plodding along with a Ben Ain build from Mountfleet models, In order to give it a true character paint scheme, I would like advice on the hull colour scheme. I have a couple of old black and white photographs to help me on my way, however I would like to replicate the authentic colours of the era.

Your help as ever is highly appreciated.

Jon

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Painting advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 11:06:47 pm »

Hello Jon, I would have thought the correct colours would be shown on the box art ?

Failing that, there's always the Mountfleet website: www.mountfleetmodels.co.uk/ben-ain.html

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Ray.

Jon_C2015

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 09:20:29 am »

Hello Jon, I would have thought the correct colours would be shown on the box art ?

Failing that, there's always the Mountfleet website: www.mountfleetmodels.co.uk/ben-ain.html

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Ray.

Many thanks Ray,

Unfortunately the kit cam in a plain cardboard box, I have read Bunkerbarge's thread, and he is suggesting a mix of Matt and Gloss black for the upper portion of the Hull exterior. I am just wondering what red should be painted for under the waterline?

Many thanks again for your response.

Regards

Jon

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 09:27:29 am »

Bets bet is to use Halfords Satin Black for the hull and use Plastic RED primer for under the waterline....there is NO need whatsoever to laquer over these products as it is a grp hull that you are using,obvioulsy use some Halfords primer under the above suggestions................YES I do say in the painting guide that any form of primer is porous and as it is being used on a GRP HULL it wont matter a hoot....it is only on a wooden hull it matters.

Dave

Jon_C2015

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 10:09:43 am »

Brilliant!!

Many thanks for the information Dave.

I have washed and sprayed the whole hull with a Halfords grey primer in order to dab all the endless rivets on with gel superglue.

I will purchase the aforementioned paints and see how I get on.
Just a quick question is that I was playing with the idea of painting the deck in a red lead colour. I am not sure what paints that are on the market that would replicate this red lead colour.

Many thanks again for your valued assistance.

Regards

Jon

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.