Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ships boats question  (Read 2044 times)

jenga

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
ships boats question
« on: February 02, 2016, 07:47:00 pm »

Greetings, got a couple of queries regarding ships boats stowage, that Im sure you will all know the answers to.

1: No rigging diagram for boat davit blocks , so I assume the the rope starts from the eye at the bottom of the upper block, down through pulley wheel one on boats pulley, back up through pulley 1 on top block on davit, down through pulley 2 on boat block, back to pulley 2 on davit block and then secured somewhere with sufficient spare rope to reach water. Where should I secure it?

2: the canvas cover is tied to boat with a crisscross pattern of rope, passing from side to side under the keel, the lifting gear passes through the canvas cover and presumably is attached to rings set into the keel. In an emergency how do they launch the boat with the cover tied down and trapped by the lifting rigging?

3: the model shows the ships boats sat in cradles, but not strapped to those cradles, just resting there, would there be strapping or did they rely on good old Gravity to keep boats in position?

May seem stupid questions, but if you dont know ask...right...

Thanks for any responses in advance, regards Jenga

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: ships boats question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 10:13:44 pm »

Hello Jenga,

A lot depends which era / type of lifeboat mountings you are looking for.  Hopefully these two pictures help illustrate the general principles of mounting and rigging.

HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 10:25:23 pm »

Do a Google search for;
                           lifeboat davit rigging

Returns 100's of photos.

Really helped me a year ago when I asked a similar question.
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 10:58:31 pm »

I snaffled these from one of Bryan Young's Masterclass Builds on here. The pics of the blocks mounted on a jig show how the 90 deg. opposition of the blocks is achieved.

"In an emergency how do they launch the boat with the cover tied down and trapped by the lifting rigging?" With great difficulty - that's why seaman carry knives.

Barry M

jenga

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 09:26:39 am »

Thanks guys, that is just what I needed, I will be able to get a good representation of this now thanks to your help.
regards Jenga

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 06:26:26 pm »

Very useful posts here as I am on the point of rigging the davits on my Fishery Cruiser. It is however quite difficult to realistically simulate multiple falls on scales of 1:48 down as the thread is very stiff for the scale. I might settle for a simpler degree of purchase which looks right, especially as the model is near scale rather than totally accurate in all respects. In my case the free end is led down to drums just inboard of and offset to the davits.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.