Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: EMMA ROSS - 3 Island Tramp Steamer  (Read 22195 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: EMMA ROSS - 3 Island Tramp Steamer
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 07:20:23 pm »

Lastly a few gratuitous shots of the finally painted hull, hopefully the plating passes muster and looks correct. Lifeboat in approximate location awaiting the finishing of the davits to mount them.

To date this model has cost me less than £35 in materials, I reckon by the time its finished it will be under 50 quid for the full model - if only they were all as cheap as this %) O0

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2016, 08:01:16 pm »

A very quick build but well built and finished none the less. What thickness card did you use to do the plating? I will look at the previous posts to see if you alkready told us while you roll your eyes and wonder which rain shower I came down in!.......

....I see the card but am not sure of it's thickness Brian. It looks just right though, thick enough to be seen withiut being too like an armoured belt!
Pond weed is your enemy

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2016, 08:47:51 pm »

Hey Brian, I just came across this thread and have to say that it's looking good. Considering what you spent it's looking really good.

My Lena is 104cm long and weighs about 8 or 9kg and also has a small rudder with a 50mm prop and I can't go full throttle or it's too fast (great if you have an emergency though) I just chug along and it looks great. She turns fine and if I need a sharper turn I just blip the throttle.

The tarpaulins look excellent, I remember you telling someone on a different thread and stored it for future so it's nice to see it being done especially by the person advising it...... Nice build.    U2
It'll look better when it's finished!

boathound

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2016, 10:07:34 pm »

Wonderful, not enough merchant ships around and your's is a beauty.  :-))

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2016, 11:59:25 am »

Thanks guys, Ian the card is 12 thousands, just measure some with my caliper :D card stock is normally sold like paper, in gramme weight. I would estimate it at maybe 160 gramme about twice as thick as normal printer paper. The most expensive part so far has been the propellor and shaft. I had to buy the shaft as the one out of my parts stock was too large a diameter to fit the tube I had epoxied into place - stupid of me not to measure it first! The crew and passengers came to the hefty price of €1.29 (euros) for a 100 from China :} I won't use a 100 or anywhere near but buy cheap and put into the parts bin for any future build

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2016, 03:49:27 pm »

Thanks Brian. I will measure my stock and see if it is the same as then I know I will be on the right track.

......Mine is .015 so in the same ball park as yours (in green and orange shades!!!!!!) Whoop %%
Pond weed is your enemy

Laker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Visit Woodspring Model Sailing Club!
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2016, 09:44:12 pm »

Brian - just wanted to offer some thanks and encouragement - a really nice model in the making.  Having lived in Canada I have a plan for some point in the future to make a 3-island steamer of the type that was short enough to fit in the St Lawrence seaway locks of the period (hence hull less than 245 feet long on the originals from memory).  They were called Lakers and I have on old book on them plus one or two plans.  It's great to see your build and photos - looking forward to seeing it finished.
Laker

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2016, 06:10:51 pm »

Well its been a while and not a lot accomplished, the reason being I have been waiting for some photo etch stanchions to arrive. Now they have the railings have begun and I feel I'm on to the last leg now.

Of course nothing goes smoothly and the holes in the stanchions are tiny. I could get a .25 drill bit through them but a .30 was no go. I didn't have anything as fine as that, single strand electrical wire being too fine. So in the garden centre last week I noticed this stuff for tying up plants. I stripped off the plastic coat and it gave me a wire fine enough to fit and has just enough stiffness to represent the rails.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2016, 06:12:27 pm »

So here's a couple of photo's of the railings as I have begun them, not a lot more to add for now. Next update she should be finished and ready for water, we shall see.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2016, 07:43:19 pm »

The wire works well. I look forward (well I look forward to lots of things :-)) ) to seeing your steamer on the water.
Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2016, 07:52:09 pm »

Well its still not finished, but oh so close!

This is as far as I have got this week, I've soldered up brass wire to make the sun cheater frames, these have been covered in kitchen tissue paper and pasted with pva glue. Once dried they were stitched around the outer edge to make it look like rope lacing and then painted to look like sail cloth. These cheaters were used in hot climes to help keep the sun off decks and so the cabins/areas under deck were cooler.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2016, 07:55:48 pm »

Railings, ahh you got to love them! I shelled out and bought a sheet of photo etch this time along with a sheet of companionways. 1/100 scale is too tiny to make myself. As it happens these are so fiddly its like threading the eye of a sewing needle with thread, 3 times for each one and a 100 stanchions later - well.

These two sheets pushed me over my self imposed limit of 50 quid for this entire build, but only by 4 pounds so well worth it.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2016, 07:58:54 pm »

So all that I have left now is to finish off the companionways (stairs) The rear mast, the emergency steering house on the aft raised deck, hang the lifeboats and she be finished.

So next photo's will definitely be complete!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2016, 08:28:09 pm »

Very nice to follow Brian.  You've been doing a great job on the bits the rest of us can't see.   :}

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2016, 06:40:52 am »

Fantastic Brian. I really like the tarpaulin covers. All that for £54 incredible! Any photos of it on the water? U2
It'll look better when it's finished!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2016, 02:09:30 pm »

I like the way you have the cheaters on the bridge half folded so you can see a bit of the bridge as well as the covering.

The awning on the bows is good as well. Lovely build and thanks for sharing it with us:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2016, 11:14:50 am »

U2 it not been on the water yet. I don't have anywhere remotely close to home except the swimming pool {-) Maybe take a photo later today -- but there is a problem....................

SWIMBO in her irritation of it being on her art desk at the time, reached over it and snapped off the rear mast as well as one or two other things. Apparently when she says SORRY, I'm supposed to accept it as an abject apology, but if I do something wrong then its doghouse for days %) %)

Glad you like the cheaters Ian, but when I get round to repairing the above damage I think they will get another coat of paint, I think they are too yellow and need to be more ivory/cream coloured. Since these photos the passengers have been added so look out for them in the photo update.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2016, 06:06:12 pm »

Looking forward to it Brian!
Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2017, 09:58:32 am »

When I said I'd do the repairs and post pics I didn't think it would be almost a year %)

Anyway, after the damage it got put up on its shelf and forgotten about, this week lamenting the wait for parts (3 weeks so far) swimbo said "fix the one I damaged" So I got it down and began, ho hum, no heart really but I carried on.

Stern mast and booms replaced, more handrail made and added - still a small piece around the stern raised deck, also a new auxiliary steering house to be made to replace the damaged one and finally the boarding steps on the port side - shown lowered for the pilot. I have added in the crew and passengers, still need to make new aft hatch covers, bits of balsa used for the photo's.

So here they are up to date, the on water ones only taken this morning, sorry its my swimming pool and not open water, but there is none in 50 kilometres of my home. I will add I am surprised at the ballasting, I added a couple of kilos of a concrete material in the keel as I built her, this morning added another half kilo of lead strip to the bow to get her floating evenly, but she is still almost an inch above the waterline!

Lets start with the crew, a couple at the stern having a fag break, then two on the bridge verandah. The next three are passengers in various locations - I seem to be missing a couple, I guess they jumped overboard in the accident!

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2017, 10:01:47 am »

So onto the pool, no descriptions, just look at the photo's....

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2017, 10:03:25 am »

And with these last 5 I will call this build done  :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2017, 10:12:56 am »

Smashing job Brian.  Wish I was there. 

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Laker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Visit Woodspring Model Sailing Club!
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2017, 09:07:09 pm »

That's a really lovely model and I have been enjoying the updates and photos.  Do post some more photos when you get her sailing.  Congratulations,  Laker.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2019, 11:08:30 pm »

Lovely model of a Tramp Steamer.  I built one using a fish trawler hull and kit bashed the rest to look something like a 1920's coal fired steamer.  It is a static build, never sailed her.  Cheers.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2019, 11:09:09 pm »

more.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.