Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colwyn bay model boating lake to close in 2017  (Read 5706 times)

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
Colwyn bay model boating lake to close in 2017
« on: May 13, 2015, 08:50:21 pm »

We will lose our existing model boating lake in 2017, when the council is selling the site to developers and we ask you to support our project to move from there to a larger lake a 100metres away in Eirias Park.

The Eirias Park lake is presently derelict; it is full of silt with deep rooted weeds and has no useful facilities.  After 2 years of discussion with the council it has now been agreed that the lake can be restored and facilities built.  The necessary work will be carried out in stages and we need to obtain funds to start cleaning out, making repairs and alterations to the lake .

We are in the process of obtaining a grant from WREN, they run a fund that supports community facilities within 10 miles of landfill sites. 

We meet all their criteria for getting a grant, but to be successful we must show that the community supports the project. In our case the "community" includes other model boat clubs and lake based groups.

We would really appreciate it if model boat enthusiasts could provide us with an email of support for the project, otherwise our club will cease to exist.

Please send an email supporting the project to :-   comments@eirias-park-lake.co.uk

Thanks for your support

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: Colwyn bay model boating lake to close in 2017
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 04:31:40 pm »

Hi
Just to say that we have attended your club on numerous occasions and it has always been a great day, suffice to say that we will be sending a group letter and individual letters of support, good luck in your endeavour.  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
Larry

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 07:13:28 pm »

Hi Kinmel

I and other members will be sending letters or emails of support.  Will see you on the 19th of July.
Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 11:19:40 pm »

what a shame its such a nice lake, well sheltered, private and close to the car park. Is it a definitely done deal that it will be lost? 

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 11:22:13 pm »

what a shame its such a nice lake, well sheltered, private and close to the car park. Is it a definitely done deal that it will be lost?

Yes the developer will be announced shortly and will first build a new council office block, then in 2017 will buy all the existing office sites for housing.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 11:36:41 pm »

>>:-(....... "first build a new council office block" ...so typical :-X........

I am sure the current office conditions for the Council staff are cold, cramped, leaking roofs.....backyard toilets, no hot & cold running water :embarrassed:.....

Doubtless to say...I am sure the Lord Mayor and the crownie Councillor's and executive staff will have a 4th story view from panoramic windows overlooking the water

Please correct me if I am wrong........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 09:24:36 am »

Thanks to the support of more than 1,500 people and organisations the grant application has been successful and the £44,000 restoration of our next lake will be completed by Easter.

The new lake is about five times larger than our existing lake and sits in a natural amphitheatre.

The grant, awarded by WREN’s FCC Community Action Fund, will pay for clearing debris from the lake and repairs to walls and drains. The large amount of silt in the lake will be moved into a corner and held behind a new revetment to create a reed bed habitat that can be left to grow and develop naturally.

The lake is filled by diverting water as necessary from adjacent land drains and all the water will be passed though the reed bed, which will filter the water and remove nutrients.
A pair of solar-powered ultrasonic transducers will help control algae growth.

The actual move to the new lake will be in 2017, by which time temporary facilities such as shelter, toilets and extra parking will be available.

In 2018/9 the park itself will undergo a £1.8million regeneration, which will include a purpose built clubhouse, parking and new landscaping.

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 12:13:24 pm »

Congratulations it is nice to hear some good news about the move to the new lake.

Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 03:39:53 pm »

Absolutely fantastic news.

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 07:03:45 pm »

Great news , Had a nice chilled out day with you last year.

Dave    :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 08:58:04 pm »

Oops, I sent you a letter! I did not see the plea earlier otherwise I would have done it when it was of use to you.

The new lake looks darn good and I wish you well in your full move. I do hope that this new 1.8million re-development of the park does not endanger your hard work and fundraising. Do check that the park authorities have not planned for something to be stuck on the site of your new lake.

It would be the sort of left hand not knowing what right hand is doing sort of thing that can and does happen.

Pond weed is your enemy

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 09:03:58 pm »

The regeneration is good for us and we are being consulted as it progresses - brick clubhouse with all facilities and extra parking.

I just have to keep pinching myself to make sure I am not dreaming

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 09:48:55 pm »

That is excellent news.
Pond weed is your enemy

canalpilot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 09:43:25 pm »

Wonderfull news  ihave only just heard of your request for support, we are certainly behind you. Best of luck on your new site from Ellesmere Port Model Boat Club.

kenthompson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 12:57:52 pm »

Looks like my email support is a bit late???but well done to all that supported you ,and good look for your project
Cheers
Ken

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 02:01:41 pm »

Thanks Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.