Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: JUTLAND  (Read 6881 times)

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
Re: JUTLAND
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2016, 08:53:32 am »

In hindsight it may not have been secret History as this programme didn't mention Nick Jellico and the diving expedition - so appologies if I got the wrong programme but I'm sure others saw this as well.

G

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2016, 09:02:50 am »

Yes, the programme you thought you were referring to was rather disappointing. There seem to be several programmes on Jutland, most of them using similar material and not giving a very clear view of the battle.

There is some discussion here: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,54301.0.html

I've rather given up on the NMM since it put most of its models in storage but it looks as if there will be a better exhibition on Jutland at Portsmouth which has just opened:

http://www.nmrn.org.uk/news-events/nmrn-blog/%E2%80%9836-hours-jutland-1916-battle-won-war%E2%80%99-blockbuster-exhibition-open-national

Colin

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2016, 01:22:16 pm »

Anybody been to the Portsmouth exhibition yet? Worth going?

Cheers

Geoff

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2016, 02:18:08 pm »

I hope to in the next week or so.

Colin

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2016, 07:14:00 pm »

Another programme about Jutland tomorrow, but it sounds worthwhile for those who don't know much about the battle.
It's on BBC 2 at 9, after the new Top Gear.
This is what the Radio Times has to say:
Reviewed by David Butcher
If you’re interested in Jutland, you’ll know what brought about the deaths of more than 6,000 British sailors. But this brilliantly detailed look at the battle assumes we don’t know; indeed, presenters Dan Snow and Shini Somara pretend they don’t know, that they’re digging around for historical revelations. The result is a splendid primer on a tragic episode, sometimes seen as a sideshow of the First World War but in fact, new research suggests, a turning point.

We see model ships sunk, explosions staged, big guns fired and the inside of “the most destructive and powerful weapons system the world had ever seen”.

I intend to have a look.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.