Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: spraying booth in shed  (Read 4557 times)

spike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
spraying booth in shed
« on: February 05, 2016, 04:12:39 pm »

hi got new spraying booth do I need to get a face mask with cartridge filter when using it please

Crossie

• Full Mayhemer
Re: spraying booth in shed
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 04:47:59 pm »

Well spike, that really depends on
a/. how powerful the air extraction is.
b/. the toxicity of the substances that you intend to spray and whether aerosols will contact you, even your skin will absorb particles
c/. how much you care about the quality of air that you want to breathe. 

From my 'engineers' point of view the only thing that should go into my lungs is good clean air, so even if my extraction system was very good, I would still  wear at least a particle mask for 'safe' paints and a cartridge mask for anything toxic.

Davros is the professional paint man here and will have better advice.

Trevor

inertia

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 05:40:41 pm »

"Bit more rubbing down needed on the right cheek, Davros. I don't think that aerosol acrylic liked your foundation, sweetie"

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 05:46:08 pm »

Your not wrong there, surely it should be...
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 06:21:46 pm »

Hi, I think you may mean Stavros, Trevor {-) a professional paint sprayer with years of experience.

John

Crossie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 07:18:38 pm »

Errr.............ummmm.............oops!

Trevor.

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 07:51:23 pm »

Simple answer to this is YES

Dave

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 09:13:16 pm »

Stavros

Is this suitable for model spraying? It appears to be a quality dusk mask and it says that it is OK for some sprays & vapours

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p80177

Stavros

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 09:26:19 pm »

Yes it is BUT I am in no way at all endorsing it NO way as I WILL NOT BE HELD at all responsible for any poisoning that happens sickness or ill health or will Martin Endorse it either Personally I use the 3M mask......similar to that

Dave

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 08:55:47 am »

Yes it is BUT I am in no way at all endorsing it NO way as I WILL NOT BE HELD at all responsible for any poisoning that happens sickness or ill health or will Martin Endorse it either Personally I use the 3M mask......similar to that

Dave

Thank you. I wear it totally of my own free choice and not because on any thoughts of yours.

spike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 09:26:20 am »

Stavros could you show me a picture of the one you use please and where I can get one please

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 09:43:34 am »

Stavros could you show me a picture of the one you use please and where I can get one please

I hope that Stavros will come back with this but the problem that I found was not really about the choice of mask but about the choice of filters. There are a range of different filters for different purposes and to the uneducated user it is far from clear which one you want for what purpose. I went for what I understand to be the highest standard of dust capture - level 3 - which means that it traps the smallest size particles. My very limited understanding suggests the smaller the particle the bigger the risk.

How well it works for spraying I am not so sure but hopefully it will catch the mist & ventilation of the spraying location will do the rest. I don't use paints that give off nasty cyanide type gases.

All this only works if the mask seals on your face. If the air is coming through gaps between the mask and your face rather than through the filter you might as well not bother & it is one of the reasons that those cheap white felt filters are of little value.  - or that is what I was told and it sounds sensible

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 10:56:33 am »

If I'm using my airbrush then the only precautions I take are to close the room door and open the window wide, then when done leave the room, as I primarily use acrylics in the airbrush (sometimes humbrol enamels) I find that OK. Bigger stuff with my compressor and gun or even an aerosol I prefer to do out in the open air -  no mask. Spraying outside with larger stuff if far the best option, the paint is dry enough in a few minutes for any object to be lifted carefully inside to finish curing.

I've never had a spray booth, albeit it seems to be the in thing with the plastic modeller brigade, but even then they seem to make do with a a cardboard box to catch the overspray.

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 11:41:10 am »

I use this expensive yes but at what cost are your lungs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Paint-Spray-Respirator-Mask-MAX-PROTECTION-06782-06783-/390564570923?hash=item5aef76672b:m:mbxbUE6hSUMoohghRZHYDVw

Any one who sprays ANY type of paint inside or outside without a mask is a complete IDIOT and has a total DISREGARD to his own life and has NO regard for his family.....................YES I have been short and blunt but I allways say THE TRUTH HURTS

Dave

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 11:52:47 am »

All this only works if the mask seals on your face. If the air is coming through gaps between the mask and your face rather than through the filter you might as well not bother & it is one of the reasons that those cheap white felt filters are of little value.  - or that is what I was told and it sounds sensible

We use a variety of filters on the railway and common type just for ballast dust is the throw away type. We all had to have face fit tests that involved 'not' smelling/tasting a scent. If you detected it then the mask wasnt a fit and was almost useless as TF mentions. I only say this because I see stupid people doing very dusty work using white masks just hanging off their face (often looking ancient). Our spraying discussion aside ... if you do some DIY dusty work then please wear a well fitted mask.

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 12:16:04 pm »

Brian 60, you are taking a mega risk, any type of paint in your lungs is dangerouse, even small jobs unless you can hold your breath will spraying and getting out quick, the vapour is still around you.

If people are worried about the seal around the mask allowing air to enter past the mask, try a smear of vasaline on the mask edges, i have not had a problem with my 3M mask after proper adjustment, (recommended by Stavros BTW) Beards/unshaven face will cause a problem so an airfed mask may be you only option.

Stavros is the man in the spraying world, probably forgoten more than we want to know.

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 03:25:07 pm »

I've survived 60 years with asthma and copd I'm not going to start worrying about a bit of paint fumes now. Stavros can be as blunt as he wants, ignorance is bliss.

BUT I do have to ask, how many of you smoke or have smoked? Don't preach about getting stuff in your lungs if you are taking in carcinogens 20=30 smokes a day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.