Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My last question about paint (hopefully)  (Read 2939 times)

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
My last question about paint (hopefully)
« on: February 06, 2016, 03:03:53 pm »

At one time I swore by Humbrol brushing enamels, but nowadays I'm fed up of swearing at them, so I'm determined to move over to acrylics.  I really don't want to make another mistake with paints, so before I switch to Tamiya (brushing) acrylics - are they still reckoned to be good?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: My last question about paint (hopefully)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 06:16:26 pm »

I use tamya acrylics on my aircraft builds but wouldn't use them on a model boat both paints give a better finish when sprayed an airbrush is much better for paint finishing...Bill..

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 07:02:03 am »

I use tamya acrylics on my aircraft builds but wouldn't use them on a model boat ...

Why not?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 09:37:28 am »

Hi if your sailing they are waterproof when dry but have very little wear and impact resistance..Bill..

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 01:31:00 pm »

Cheers Bill.  I will be sailing, but I will be putting some kind of varnish over the topcoats  :-)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 05:25:47 pm »

I used to use tamiya acrylics as a lad for my Tamiya tank models and found that after a while, they had a tendency to separate usually as you were brushing them on which was messy and annoying.

For large areas I do suggest Halfords or car paint suppliers rattle cans from primer to top coat perhaps using the Tamiya for detail work. It is sad that Humbrol's paint quality has gone suspect. I have a tinlet of treacle (er, I mean 49 Matt varnish that works well enough, and a tinlet of kahki 26 which is likewise a bit '"xxxxx"', but they seem to be Ok for small jobs. I bought a tinlet each of wine red, wood and satin black from the Revell enamel range and they all behaved well and brushed on a treat.

Pond weed is your enemy

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 05:53:51 pm »

... It is sad that Humbrol's paint quality has gone suspect ...

Indeed.  I used to swear by Humbrol enamels, but what finally did it for me is that just recently I've opened one new tinlet to find the contents 100% solid, one with the consistency of water even after 4-5 minutes stirring, and one only about 2/3 full.  On top of that, when I enquired of the local model shop when they would be getting some more "big" tins of gloss white and gloss yellow, the answer was "Dunno.  Wholesalers haven't got any so I rang Hornby.  They haven't either, and they couldn't give any indication of when they might be getting any ..." 

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 09:47:30 am »

If your looking for a brushing enamel have you tried Revell I have sprayed them and they were ok Bill..

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 11:13:04 am »

I used car paint in the spray cans, the spray filler works well on wood and the clear coat is great, like vanish!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 23 queries.