Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Biccu the tug  (Read 2422 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Biccu the tug
« on: February 12, 2016, 10:29:55 pm »

Hi chaps.

A friend of mine from the Yeovil club sadly lost much of his eyesight last year and subsequently decided to hang up his Transmitter and concentrate on garden railways that he can see from close up.

Anyhow, He was offering a number of models for a very reasonable price basically to afford components for his locomotives and so I snapped up an RAF Motor launch and this Tug.

They both need some restoration, and while the launch will be dealt with in the future, I though the Tug could be renovated in a short space of time.

A short history and then some pictures:O)

My friend spent his early years in the RAF and served in India based around Cochin. He built several models based upon subjects he saw there including this tug called Biccu after its Sikh skipper.

Because the models represent not only a man's hobby, but also part of his life, I felt it disrespectful to hack away bits and build anew, so I have just tidied the model up and reworked the internal systems for sailing.

The Bridge and a rear area both have cute little awnings for keeping the fierce sun off the sailor's during the day and these really make this model unique.

Over time the original glue joining the frame together had degraded and several components had parted company, so I mixed some araldite up and stuck the frame back together.

I will post up a few more images soon.
Pond weed is your enemy

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Biccu the tug
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 02:15:14 am »

Does your friend have any original  photos of the tug?

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 10:56:02 am »

I am not sure but can find out. The hull is fibreglass, so may be based on a proprietry product.

Pond weed is your enemy

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 05:38:50 pm »

More photos of the refurb.

The rudder servo was originally hald in a case made of thin ply and glued to the lower side of the coaming but this meant that the servo had to be turned the opposite way to how you wanted to steer.

To rectify this and also provide a place to put gubbins, I made a platform. This is made out of doped ply and is actually removable, being held in place by two bits of wood and gravity. I made it like that to access the motor should I need to.

The platform holds a voltage meter and the power switch as well as the servo.

Overall, it takes up little room being astern of the control board and the space for the 12 volt battery.

I tried it out just after Christmas on a 7.2 NIMH but it had little forward movement and no discernable movement astern, so once I had got a 12 volt SLA, it now pootles along really nicely with a decent enough reverse to stop.

The power board ESC and gubbins are all from Action. And so far I am very pleased with the performance of everything.

Thanks for looking :}
Pond weed is your enemy

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 06:27:24 pm »

Nice little tug.
Just a pity the rudder control
couldn't go under the deck.
Bit of modeller's license with
a steerable Kort on an old steamer.
I think the machinery space skylights
would have been wide open for extra
ventilation in that part of the world.
The forum has a resident expert in
Kerala state. Perhaps Krishna could add
some detail.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 08:53:22 pm »

If I were to build one in the same style then I would add these touches, but I wanted to modify it as little as possible out of respect.

Thanks for the ideas though Ned, they are useful for other tugs of similar era as well. I am sure that on a warm summers day in an English harbour, the skylights would also be open.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.